massive heist of John Andrews' Ferraris | Page 4 | FerrariChat

massive heist of John Andrews' Ferraris

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by VisualHomage, Dec 6, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    It's simple...it's not a $300 purchase, it's a million dollar car. All the police would need to do is trace the money flow (which would not be cash) and they would find the whole very quick......

Like I said, no one came with a bag of cash to buy this car...

2. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    The seller is the thief, or frontman thereof.

3. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    Yes that is the beauty of it, which could further launder the transaction as being legitimate. I don't see a barrier to legally selling a million dollar car that is stolen.

4. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    You don't get it. The owner, who had the car ripped off, won't have a deposit in his bank account records to support the sell/ purchase and that's his first line of defense, title or not

5. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Everything points to a man not fully in touch with reality. Why give his story any credence ?

Ive seen nothing to indicate he is anything but an old man with mental/memory problems.

Thats not an insult and Im not trying to be a d**k...thats just the reality as I see it.

6. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Execpt the guy who interview him as well as other have stated they have seen his cars....I don't, for a second, doubt his story

7. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    I guess I'm dense and don't get it; I am not really understanding you.

Yes, John Andrews wouldn't have any money deposited in an account because the car was stolen. He alleges he was ripped off. How would that disable a thief in selling the stolen car?

John probably, too, has no bank records to speak of, making it much easier to steal from him. He cannot directly, through paper trails, prove jack squat. He's a perfect guy to steal from.

8. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I never said nor implied he never had the cars...

9. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Let's try again (sending from my phone so pardon grammar, etc)

The money trail or lack off will be proof that he did not sell the car. The current owner may have bought it from the thief but the thief would not be able to prove he bought it and then "grand theft auto" get it?

10. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    Well I think he did have these cars in his possession, as evidenced by the pictures posted herein [and on the other ferrari forum thread of the same topic]. And I do think he was stolen from and then ignored by the local authorities, even bullied. How the cars each "got gone" is what is at issue.

11. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    Yep, got it :) thanks for your patience. Unless Andrews never properly registered the cars, they could be anyone's car. Who knows. There must be a way around the paperwork/bank deposit/prior owner issue.

12. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Does not matter if he registared or not, it 's all about the money trail. Again, this is high value stuff. I am certain that the car will be with him again very soon..

13. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    Right on. We'll see it unfold.....

14. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #89 El Wayne, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    How about a photographic record of the so-called "theft" of 250 GT SWB 1849 GT from John Andrews in 1994?

http://www.ferrarichat.com/velostrada/issues/200509/Niles_MyNextSWB.htm
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

15. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #90 TheMayor, Dec 8, 2012
  16. anunakki

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
  17. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
  18. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    There are two sides to a transaction, not 1. Evidence is on both sides of each transaction.

Andrews claims that he has no titles, no tax records, no registration, no parts receipts, no insurance, etc.

Sheehan, who bought the Ferrari from Andrews, has all of the above, plus bank records showing that he paid for the car with Andrew's endorsement on the cancelled check from depositing the money.

OK, let's pretend for a moment that *every* piece of paperwork was stolen from Andrews as he claimed.

There would still be an annual registration bill mailed to his mom's house each year from the State of California.

There would still be an insurance bill mailed to him.

Unless...

Andrews actually sold the car, cancelled his insurance, and a new owner began paying the annual registration fees on the car!

If you indulged Andrews, you'd convince the police to subpoena the new owner's bank records for proof of payment, and they'd subpoena Andrews' bank records from 1994 for proof that he cashed the check.

In the off chance that everything that Andrews said was true, you'd find Sheehan's check deposited in a thief's bank account instead of Andrews. Pretty low odds of that considering the lack of paper trail.

Difficult to imagine that the police would do much more than recommend that Andrews be committed for his own personal safety.

Drawing attention to Andrews risks his freedom in his current mental condition, in my opinion. The hoarding photographs, living with his mom at that age...not good.

19. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    #94 Peloton25, Dec 8, 2012
    Can we just pause the debate for one second to discuss what someone must have been smoking when they did this to the dashboard of a 250GT SWB???

>8^)
    ER

20. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Groovy.

21. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    #96 cheesey, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
    time out !!!

this 250 SWB is NOT stolen, is NOT referenced by John Andrews in any way ... Marcel posted it in his comments about which cars he knew John had in his possesion... the 1994 sale to Mike Sheehan was in the normal course of business between them...

this is an example of misreading gone wrong... as many other comments have drifted from the realities leading to misinformation

22. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    #97 Jdubbya, Dec 8, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
    You are correct. The car he talks most about in the video is the 275. It's going to be interesting to see if Stephen can come up with some sort of list and then see what Marcel or others have to say.

After seeing the pics of the hoarding I can see why there are difficulties with the City and why the police would have a hard time believing he owned any Ferraris. It's sounding more and more like he sold them and now doesn't remember though. Maybe, maybe not.

As for the arson and missing motor homes, holy crap that could have been anything that started a fire with all that stuff around!!

Edit: On the "other" forum Marcel posted the list that was copied above. In other posts Stephen says the the 166mm and 250 GT SWB were never at issue in this story. I asked if Marcel could comment on the rest of this list he had posted...

Originally Posted by Marcel Massini
    250 GT Ellena #0847 GT, engine only.
    330 GT America #5051 GT, painted black.
    250 GT Lusso #5937 GT, painted red.
    275 GTB longnose #08743, sort of blue. Today in San Francisco.
    166 MM Berlinetta Touring #0026 M, red. Today in Newport Beach.
    250 GT SWB Berlinetta #1849 GT, red. Today in The Netherlands.

Marcel Massini

23. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    with respect to Ferrari involved with the theft, there were only 3...

'65 Lusso
    '66 275 GTB
    330 America

there were more cars that were stolen from different marques, an exact inventory to be determined and presented...

24. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Hence the title of this thread: massive heist of John Andrews' Ferraris?

25. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    #100 No Doubt, Dec 8, 2012
    OK, a simple internet search shows 330 GT America #5051 was registered to John Andrews until listed for sale at $42,995 in July on CarPlanet.com and sold in August: http://www.330gt.com/Detail/5051.html

Please note that the online for sale pictures below *seem* to be taken during the day at Andrew's mom's house.

The hood was listed for sale separately on ebay.com in July: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ferrari-250-GT-E-250GTE-Boano-hood-bonnet-/230819177363?nma=true&si=VojXBLjCDwcgE54xgyVUDHZiBrI%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557