Intermittent Fasting / LeanGains | FerrariChat

Intermittent Fasting / LeanGains

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by QWKDTSN, Sep 2, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. QWKDTSN

QWKDTSN Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2006
    WA, USA
    Full Name:
    Steven Patch
    Any followers of this methodology? I have been on it for about 3 weeks and I love it!

I did a search here on the board and didn't come up with anything so I thought I would start a discussion.

2. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Please elaborate.

3. coledoggy

coledoggy Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    ole miss
    Full Name:
    todd
    Well funny you mention it, I started my first 24 hour fast last last Sunday. I ate huge breakfast Sunday morning and didn't eat again til Monday morning. I drank a ton of water and did have an unsweetened tea with lemon as my "treat".

Wifey and I both did it and are doing it again tomorrow bc of holiday weekend. I honestly think the only day I could do this would be Sunday, no way I could make through a work day fasting.

But I really did wake up Monday morning feeling very good and surprisingly not very hungry. I suppose I like the results enough that we are going to do it again.

As far as Sunday, well it was a different story. I did get weakish and tired feeling but never run down. There were great waves in the gulf and I spent probably two hours over the course of the day surfing, so the combo of that with being in the sun did drain me.

Basically for us it was a hey why not lets try this thing decision and we just did it. Not sure if that's the way it should be done, but we didn't die and we do look forward to trying it again tomorrow.

I should also mention that the Sunday morning breakfast was a load. 5 eggs with a pile of black beans, onions and tomatoes, large bowl of steel cut oats with honey and berries, and two heavily loaded slices of wheat toast with almond butter and honey.

4. QWKDTSN

QWKDTSN Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2006
    WA, USA
    Full Name:
    Steven Patch
    Coledoggy, sounds like you are doing alternate day fasting, which is a different concept but also has a good amount of followers. I have not tried that, mostly because it would not suit my lifestyle.

Noel, intermittent fasting has a simple structure: For each 24 hour period, you allow yourself a feeding window of 6-8 hours, outside of which no calories (or only trace calories) are to be consumed.

Personally, I am doing a feeding window of 12 noon until 8 PM. From 8 PM until noon the next day, I only drink water or have a cup of black coffee (trace amounts of calories, such as coffee, tea, 0 calorie soda, etc. are allowed during the fasting window). I wake up in the morning feeling full of energy, have no hunger until around noon anyway. I usually have two meals during my feeding window and feel great.

The approach was popularized by Martin Berkhan of leangains.com, which is a very interesting site, but a bit dense for me - he has some very thorough explanations of how the body uses and stores energy, insulin triggers, hormone regulation, that sort of thing.

All I know is that I have always had a problem with willpower until I started doing this. Now that I am only allowing myself a window to get my calories in, I have little to no desire for sweets, extra beers, and all those other unnecessary calories I feed myself. It's motivated my to start counting my calories and get in the gym. :)

Manda racing and LightGuy like this.
  5. QWKDTSN

QWKDTSN Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2006
    WA, USA
    Full Name:
    Steven Patch
    Just wanted to bump this thread with an update.

I am down from 189 to 175 in about 7 weeks of intermittent fasting, the weight loss is due to being in a caloric deficit but there is no way I could keep this up if it weren't for the fasting.

I have gotten on an excellent beginner's weight lifting routine that I picked up in a bodybuilding forum and I am making steady gains despite losing fat!

6. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Very interesting. Keep the updates coming.

7. QWKDTSN

QWKDTSN Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2006
    WA, USA
    Full Name:
    Steven Patch
    Things are going great... :)

Early August 2012 [​IMG]

Yesterday [​IMG]

188ish to 167.

I have been following a beginner's bodybuilding routine 3x a week.

8. Xcheckme

Xcheckme Formula 3

May 10, 2011
    Tampa Bay
    Full Name:
    Lukas
    Big chance in a short amount of time. Nice job

9. vf430

vf430 Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2009
    SoCal
    Wow amazing job Steve. Congrats! I followed leangains for a while and dropped fom 190 lbs to 175 lbs.

10. brownsgolf

brownsgolf Formula Junior

Dec 18, 2007
    Western PA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    Awesome change Steve!!!!

11. QWKDTSN

QWKDTSN Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2006
    WA, USA
    Full Name:
    Steven Patch
    Thanks guys! :)

12. QWKDTSN

QWKDTSN Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2006
    WA, USA
    Full Name:
    Steven Patch
    Bump. My weight loss journey is at an end. This morning I weighed in at 158 lbs even. This is the first time I've been in the 150s since... probably middle school!

I'm going to eat at maintenance calories for a couple of weeks and then start a nice slow bulk to fill my skinny self out!

[​IMG]

13. TurboFreak650

TurboFreak650 Formula 3

Jul 10, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Interesting. I've never made a focused effort, although I skip dinner every now and then and I've eliminated milk from my diet for weeks at a time. I have an extremely stubborn ~10 lbs that would leave the building, even though I make far more effort now than I ever did in my younger days to kick them out. :mad: My limbs are as lean as can be; the unwanted pounds reside in my torso.

I could never fast during a work day, because when I'm under pressure, my brain consumes huge amounts of energy!

Maybe Sunday is a good day to start, but not this Sunday, because I'll still have Thanksgiving leftovers. :D

14. GTHill

GTHill F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2006
    Double Wide
    Full Name:
    GT Hill
    Interesting.

GT

15. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I may try this, I need something to jump start my weight loss goal

Sunday, 12/30. I will stop eating at 8pm and won't eat until 12pm the next day! ?

16. vf430

vf430 Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2009
    SoCal
    How did it go ?

17. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    First Steven, congratulations man. That is awesome!

Second, I've read the leangains site, and it's not clear to me what the routine is on a 7 day cycle.

I'm going to proceed under the "Fasted Training Protocol" as follows

11.30-12 AM or 5-15 minutes pre-workout: 10 g BCAA
    12-1 PM: Training
    1 PM: Post-workout meal (largest meal of the day).
    4 PM: Second meal.
    9 PM: Last meal before the fast.

OK, so let's assume it's a Monday and I do the above, what does Tuesday (non weight training day) look like? How long do I fast for from 9 PM Monday to Tuesday?

Any information/advice appreciated.

18. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    This thread inspired me so i went on it the morning of the New Year. I really like it.

eat at 12 eat at 4 eat at 8. Eat again the next day at 12 noon - repeat. Eat healthy. * 4 bottle of water per day *

i'll report back in 2 weeks.

19. 575Mike

575Mike Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Ted, this is kind of what I thought. Thanks. Good luck on your journey!

20. vf430

vf430 Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2009
    SoCal
    This has been my exact schedule for past 1 year. Works great.

21. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    What do you typically eat in the 12-8 hours? Can you eat sweets and have you lost weight?

22. billyfitness

billyfitness Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    I.F. is only one aspect to achieving ideal body composition. Lowered numbers on a scale should not be your only goal.
    Opting for a Paleo-type diet and an effective exercise program is the only way to create an optimal functioning and looking body that will last.
    -Billy

23. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Car to explain paleo?

24. billyfitness

billyfitness Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    - Meat (wild, grass-fed, pastured, etc)
    - Vegetables
    - Fruit
    - Eggs
    - Nuts & Seeds
    - Fats/Oils (olive, coconut, avocado)

That's it. No grains most importantly.

Exercise:
    Intense 90% max (sprint, heavy lifting, once every 7-10 days)
    Moderate 70-80% (intervals 2-3 days/wk)
    Low >50% (walk, hike, cycle, etc. 3-5 hrs/wk)

Cordain, Wolf, Sisson, and Attia do a lot better job with the details.

-Billy
    www.paleokc.com

25. Valenzo

Valenzo F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    IL & NC
    Full Name:
    Ted

Don't want a lot of details, that was perfect.

So no rice, no cereals? Any other "grains".?

I had rice for dinner, screwed that up tonight.

Thanks