Fender Shields - where to buy? | FerrariChat

Fender Shields - where to buy?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Dave rocks, Dec 31, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Hello Folks,

Anyone know a place to buy nice shields?

I did a search and did not find much...

2. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
  3. John M

John M Formula Junior

Nov 18, 2004
    Kentucky
  4. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    A lot of people like Yoshields, made by a guy named Yoshi. Pretty sure his user name here is 308geo. I don't have them and have never knowingly seen them, but a lot of people here like them. I guess they have been made in a couple of different shades of yellow, so ask him which ones he has now. Maybe both are available?

5. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
    Yoshi has shut down. Some people still have them in stock, not sure for how long?

6. Jeff348

Jeff348 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    S.I.New York
    Full Name:
    jeff spezzano
    Looks like they're from the same place. I got mine from a place like that also. I can't remember where though. Mine look pretty darn good. Go for it. I thInk they look good.

7. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hi. I did a thread not so long ago looking at some of the different types. Those ones on ebay are from the far east I believe, India. I got hold of two of the more expensive types as well as looking at pics of several others and going to my local dealer to compare older shields (F40, 288 GTO etc) to newer ones on 430s and 458s. Anyway, having looked at pretty much all the options out there I went for Yoshis, definitely the best that I saw. You can get them from a company that trades over here in the UK called Super Tweaks, web address is in the thread:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=389839

8. errico

errico Karting

Sep 16, 2012
    I just bought yoshield from super tweaks. Great service and I paid 234
    They have a few pairs left.

9. dc348

dc348 Formula Junior

May 27, 2006
    Luckily back in HK
    Full Name:
    DC
    I got 3 sets of these for my mates and myself and they are good especially for the price.

10. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Dave,

I bought Yoshi Shields for my 328 and love them to death. Great stuff. Get a spare pair now if you can find them.

Robb

11. Reddesire

Reddesire Formula Junior

May 7, 2008
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Andrew Gaal
    ..... ask the Indian supplier what type of adhesive they use. I bought a set of $50 jobs from India and they are definately the poorest of the bunch. The good ones are thin (and more flexible to better fit the contour of your fender) but importantly they have a 3M adhesive coating direclty on their backs. The poorer ones are thicker, have poorer quality detail on the shield with no protective clear coat and raised edges around the pattern detail. They also don't have 3M adhesive on the back but instead are delivered with a piece of doublesided adhesive tape cut to the shape of the shield which also adds to the thickness. Thats what I got anyway with the $50 Indian offerings. I personally found a UK supplier on Ebay that sold me a set for $150 that where so close to Yoshi I don't think you could tell the difference !
    I see that there is also a $100 Indian offering. Whether they are the same ones I don't know. Just ask a few questions to qualify. Don't go by the pics on the ebay site. You will notice they all use the same picture !!!!
    Have a look at the other thread mentioned where there was a detailed comparison of the different offerings. As suggested Yoshi has gone so if your lucky you might still find some of his but they are top dollar and can be over $300 a set !

12. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    #12 i-velocita, Jan 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yes, not all are created equal, even though they may share the same picture.

Some are 3 5/8" tall, some are 3 3/4" tall, most are of indifferent quality, or use thick generic two sided tape.

My shields are 100mm (4") tall, just like factory. I use the thinnest available 3M VHB (very high bond) tape @ $244/100' roll. All of my shields are genuine cloisonne - a clear coated vitreous enamel finish baked until hard. Working to catalog all the necessary fender contours while keeping prices reasonable (especially for F-chatters).

Please check out my FerrariAds listing...

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/vbclassified.php?do=ad&id=11255

Thanks...Jim
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Jim, where are yours made? See the other thread regarding shield comparisons....it looks like yours were pictured there and have the pony with too thin of a leg compared to OEM shields.

Please help me understand.

14. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    Dave...

My guess, and this is only a guess, is that since there are multiple vendors offering shields of varying quality and detail but with the same cavalino design, a common CNC file is circulating. This seems especially likely to me since the design has been scaled up and down to be sold in different sizes.

Jim

15. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek

Thanks Jim but you did not answer where your are made....

16. i-velocita

i-velocita F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 9, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    James
    Correct...sorry.

17. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #17 Nosevi, Jan 6, 2013
    That's a bit of a shame, Jim.

Anyway, the other thread mentioned is mine, I went to a fair amount of trouble including photographing shields on 458s and 430s as well as looking at numerous others on modern Ferraris to see the new type of shield, and F40s, 348 GTC, and a 288 GTO to see the old type. I also bought a couple of types and checked out others that people had bought.

You've said that a file that is inaccurate is probably doing the rounds but unfortunately the ones on your add are not accurate - they are using this file or at least something close to it. Either you are using a picture of something that is not your product by mistake (which is what I hope) or your shields do not look like the OEM ones. This is off your add next to an OEM shield.

18. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #18 Nosevi, Jan 6, 2013
  19. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I was just thinking....Ferrari must sell OEM shields, correct?

20. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Correct. They are approx 3mm thick and have fixing bolts that go through the wing panel. As they are 3mm thick you need to get the panel indented. Several Ferrari places in the states will do this for you, but it costs a fair bit.

21. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Thanks Pete

22. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    Pete,
    Did you happen to measure factory shields? I'm wondering what the length is top to bottom?
    Thanks

23. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Sorry, didn't measure but did put a Yoshi side by side with a shield on a 430 and it looked the same size. I believe a Yoshi is 4'' top to bottom, will try to measure later today as the Yoshis went on my motor. The British ones looked to be the same as well but don't have those anymore, they went on a 355 down in London.

Size wise the shields are bigger than the resin badges that Ferrari supply, a good thing if you are replacing resins as the shields cover any marks left on the paint when you remove the resins. Also note that there was a change in shield design after the 348 GTC - earlier shields on the likes of the F40 and 288 GTO look nothing like the modern type. I've not seen any copies of the early shields though. Pics of both types are on the thread I threw up before.

24. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Just checked, my Yoshis are 4'' high exactly and side by side looked the same as an OEM shield. Sorry can't be more definitive.

25. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    I have some after market ones that measure 3.75" top to bottom they look alot like the ones from India... What irks me the most about them is the fchatter I bought them from told me they were yoshi shields. At the time I was new to Ferrari ownership and didn't know the difference. I wish I could remember who it was but I erased the pm's.

Thanks for checking Pete.