replacement wheels for 400i | FerrariChat

replacement wheels for 400i

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by stuarts, Mar 11, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stuarts

stuarts Rookie

Feb 7, 2012
    manhattan beach,ca
    Full Name:
    stuart sackley
    can anyone tell me what choices i have to replace the wheels on the 400i,so i can use u s 15" or 16" tires.or what is the bolt pattern?thank you,stuart

kuwait355 likes this.
  2. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    #2 180 Out, Mar 11, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Mine has what the seller described to me as "Quattravalvole" wheels, that are 16". I took that to mean they're take-offs from a 308 QV. He also said they require different bolts, and passed along to me an invoice showing he had paid $20 per bolt, or $400 for the set. Also a spacer was needed, I believe on the fronts alone, to clear the brake caliper. Here's a pic:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    Those are Superformance 16"- VERY inexpensive and they look great!

4. stuarts

stuarts Rookie

Feb 7, 2012
    manhattan beach,ca
    Full Name:
    stuart sackley
    thank you.

5. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    16" x 8" Superformance wheels (for 308QV). Call to see if they'll let a set of 4-8" go for the same price at the pair of 7" & 8". ;)

http://www.superformance.co.uk/a-308/wheels.htm

I'm pretty sure they'll require 15 mm spacers with 108mm bolt pattern for 14mm bolts, hub diameter of at least 58mm. It's been mentioned here that these can be obtained at about $25. ea.

I believe the Superformance wheel hubs are 15mm thinner, resulting in the need of the above mentioned spacers (others here can confirm) & allowing for the existing wheel bolts to be used.

And if you need new wheel bolts for those new wheels, give Daniel a call...his site doesn't show 400 bolts from Hill Engineering but maybe...

http://www.ricambiamerica.com/product_info.php?cPath=600_544&products_id=224428

If not, these guys are reasonable.

http://www.superformance.co.uk/a-v12/wheels.htm

6. ricar116

ricar116 Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2005
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Full Name:
    Rick Carr
    Compomotive in UK makes 3 piece modulars in 17's They used to have a guy in the US that would make up whatever hole spacing offset and diameter apparently he has gone away. Find UK on the web. They will also make custom 1 piece. Thier prices were always reasonable.

7. stuarts

stuarts Rookie

Feb 7, 2012
    manhattan beach,ca
    Full Name:
    stuart sackley
    thanks bruce.superformance will let me have all 8" for 695 pounds

8. stuarts

stuarts Rookie

Feb 7, 2012
    manhattan beach,ca
    Full Name:
    stuart sackley
    bruce.i bought the superformance 16x8 wheels with spacers.now i need to know what size and brand tires you think would be best.thx again.

9. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    I received an ad about the 17" modular wheels. Has anyone put them on their 400? I am tempted and rear metrics are getting worn. If so please post a pic.
    Ken

10. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Although you've got more modern rubber choices with the 16" wheels, there aren't a ton of choices in the hi-perf. category while keeping to the overall specs of the oem tires.
    225/60-16's are about the closest you can get while fitting within the wheel well confines...& in that size, it looks like the picks are...

Bridgestone Potenza RE960 Pole Position Tire.....225/60R-16 / W speed rating (168mph)

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus...........................225/60ZR-16 / Z speed rating (149+mph)

Goodyear Eagle GT.......................................225/60R-16 / V speed rating (149mph)

There are many more to choose from if you're going with the all-season variety.

11. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    17's would be sweeeet....& lower profiles too. Plus, more hi-perf. choices to boot.

12. stuarts

stuarts Rookie

Feb 7, 2012
    manhattan beach,ca
    Full Name:
    stuart sackley
    thank you very much

13. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    A few bits of info first:
    - Coker is up to $659 per tire and did not seem interested in an FChat or FCA discount.
    - Superformance is now quoting 745 pounds + 125 shipping to East Coast
    (one set of wheels about equals cost of two tires)

I have been discussing tire sizes with Tire Rack. To match the 27.1" diameter of the TRX's they recommend 235/60ZR16. They only have two choices in that size (Ultra High Perf. Summer):
    - Bridgestone Potenza RE040 - its a large block type pattern not so different from TRX
    - Sumitomo HTRZ II with a very modern look, like a racing intermediate, cheap but would not look well on our cars. MHO

Has anyone used this Bridgestone or size?

What is the diameter or rolling circumference of the 225/60-16's?

Ken

14. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Ken;

Go to Tire Rack's site /enter in tire size & search, at the bottom of each tire's general description, you'll see 'Additional Tire Info.' in a grey box at the bottom, click on spec's & it'll give you overall D's, revs/mile, sec. width, rim size ranges, etc. Just below that, it'll show you other tire sizes in that particular tire & their specs. All good stuff :)

Bruce

15. wrxmike

wrxmike Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Mar 20, 2004
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Longstone Tyres UK are an alternative source of the Michelin TRX and offer free freight to most countries ( you might have to pay some duty /though). Prices are miuch cheaper than Coker. I've used Longstone for tyres to Australia, delivered top my door in less than a week. :)

http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/Michelin_TRX_Tyres

M

16. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Bruce
    I have done 100 clicks on Tire Rack. There are several more choices for 225/60/16 than the 235/60/13. The former are typically 26.6 or 26.7" diameter. I like the 235 choice as It is right one the TRX diameter and a tiny bit wider and the 8" wheels are more mid-range than top of range for the 225's.

I'm close to placing the wheel order. Just checking spacers before I make the investment.
    Ken

17. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    Good find Ken. Those Sumitomo 235's are really close @ 27.3" Dia. (vs. TRX @ 27.2").
    The TX180 X 415 wheels converts to 7.08661" rim width, the Sumi's show the 'measuring rim width' (i.e., design rim width) of 7" on their specs page (although they show a rim range of 6 1/2" to 8 1/2"). I've heard some owners using 8" rims & if these tires are mounted to them, I think that would increase the section width (by how much I don't know). The Sumi's show a section width of 9.5" (on a 7" rim) where the TRX's are 9.8", so the 8" wheel may put the tire closer to the TRX size.
    & good luck with the spacers, don't know if you know someone with one of those cnc machines.
    Bruce

18. mgsamman

mgsamman Rookie

Aug 1, 2009
    Seattle / DC / Dubai
    Hi Ken,

This may be useful for your spacers search.

The guy who made mine is called "wheeladapters" on Ebay, email [email protected]. Price was $49 including shipping per pair, and fit was perfect.

Marv

19. blkprlz

blkprlz Formula 3

Mar 24, 2007
    Tampa bay
    Full Name:
    Bruce
    #19 blkprlz, Jan 22, 2013
    Thought this would be a good place for this tidbit.
    You always hear about the negative offset the OEM wheels have compared to the 308QV wheels but it's like pulling teeth to get the specs of the spacers. & I remember Jay using Tessti wheels on the 412 to avoid the TRX tire issue, don't remember if spacers were needed with that application. With regards to clearances, I believe the inner restrictions with the tires are suspension components but don't have the car in front of me to confirm. The outer restrictions are the fender well lip (which is about the thickness of your index finger).
    Please make corrections/additions to the info. listed below so that this info. readily comes up on a search for future owners/?? :eek:

Spacer specs for adapting QV wheels to the 365/400:

12mm (~1/2") 5 hole/108mm lug bolt diameter
    Outer Diameter: ??
    Hub Diameter: 67mm (front), 58mm (rear)
    Lug Bolt Diameter: 14mm

412 Wheel adaptation:
    ??

Original TRX Tire Specs:

Michelin TRX 240/55VR415
    Outer Diameter: 27.2"
    Section Width: 9.8"
    Tread width: ?
    Revs/mile: ?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Trutlands told me in the summer that they had a pile of NOS 512TR front wheels that they were going to offer as sets of 4 specifically for the 400's and they were cheap. Not sure how they would look but its worth looking into.

21. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    I heard back from Dawn at Hill Engineering. They referred my to Ricambi America who is their US distributor. I should hear back from Daniel tomorrow.
    Ken

22. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    I sent an email to that address this evening. I suspect that it will be a good savings over Hill / Ricambe America. Was Quality and fit good?
    Ken

23. mgsamman

mgsamman Rookie

Aug 1, 2009
    Seattle / DC / Dubai
    #23 mgsamman, Jan 23, 2013
  24. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Marv
    I do not see the two extra holes for the alignment pins. Did you remove the pins when you fit the spacers? They are not essential but are "nice". I'm not sure the 308 wheels have the recesses for those pins anyway.
    Ken

25. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Daniel at Ricambi America responded. His price for 4 spacers is $262!!!

I heard back from Marv's supplier but he did not give me a current price.
    Ken