348 Idle Help | FerrariChat

348 Idle Help

Discussion in '348/355' started by Majin_JT, Jan 7, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Majin_JT

Majin_JT Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2008
    UK
    Full Name:
    JT
    hey everyone just a little question and maybe some help for the past phew weeks my 348 has been havin little idle trouble starts fine everytime no ive not had a flat battery but to cut a story short when i come to a stop at the lights etc the car idles low and sometimes starts going up and down sometimes looking like its nearly going to stall then other times it starts idling at 1200 i have tryed the ecu reset its ok for a while then randomly goes back to same weird idle please help thanks

john

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Try cleaning your idle air control valves (iacv) out with some carburetor cleaner.

On a side note. Next time use punctuations when you type please. It makes it easier to understand when reading.

3. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    And .......... breath!

Just kidding mate :). I had exactly the same symptoms along with a quick drop in revs if I hit the clutch and took my foot off the gas. This could sometimes result in a stall. The fix for me was cleaning both my ICVs and MAFs with MAF cleaner (is this the same as carb cleaner, Ernie?) then giving her an Italian tune up. Worked a treat.

4. Majin_JT

Majin_JT Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2008
    UK
    Full Name:
    JT
    hey guys thanks for the help i will give it a go :)

5. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Well, how did it go?

6. Majin_JT

Majin_JT Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2008
    UK
    Full Name:
    JT
    hey guys sorry but ive not had the chance to try to clean it out busy with work etc, will give it ago on the weekend :)

7. Majin_JT

Majin_JT Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2008
    UK
    Full Name:
    JT
    hi everyone i have finally taken out the iacvs off the car , now how do i clean them do i just spray into them or is there a method to cleaning them??

any help would be great

thanks

john

8. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I just sprayed the MAF cleaner into them and let it drain out, did the same to the MAFs. Ernie will probably be able to say how it should be done but that worked for me. :)

9. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    I just sprayed into the opening, and held the valve so it could drain out the other side. I also used a small screw driver to open and close the valve while I was spraying. Then I used some compressed air to blow everything out.

10. 348steve

348steve Karting

Jul 18, 2018
    Full Name:
    Stephen G
    I had the same erratic idle and stall issue. I had just completed a major major where i had the entire upper engine apart and literally took painstaking effort to put together the cleanest 348 you'll ever see. Every component was either new or diagnosed as perfect. No vacuum leaks as well.

I had noticed once that by simply touching the secondary air intake tube assembly that the engine idle would change suddenly. But hell, that of course could not make sense since that system has nothing to do with idle vacuums in any way, its simply not in the loop.

But today, after the problem became so bad that the car would stall at every corner I had to stare at it for a while and think. While staring at that stupid secondary tube I noticed a interesting thing .... the MAV cable is literally resting on the secondary tube. In other words when I was moving about the secondary tube I was also jiggling the MAV cable.

So ... even though the MAV connector pins looked clean, I used some contact cleaner on them and re-connected diligently.

The world change.