Thank you Birdman! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Thank you Birdman!

Discussion in '308/328' started by RBV24961, Feb 16, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Funny that you just justified your decision too! :D

BTW everyone who has more than a handful of posts on Fchat doesn't have a life! Myself included...

2. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Difference is that I'm explaining why I think it's better from a technical perspective while not discrediting those who choose to stay with the stock setup. Likewise, I don't really care if anyone agrees or not.

Labeling an aftermarket solution that is superior as "hype" seems silly and worthy of a little poking.

Also funny that the contingent that finds this solution unnecessary has essentially kept this thread/advertisement at the top of the forum for days. : )

3. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    As do I, Rob. A great point and observation! If I may jump in here with my thoughts with regards to "originality....I crack myself up viewing a few ongoing restorations deemed "original to the last detail", yet it is my understanding is that either a multi-stage or single stage polyurethane paint is being now used. Hmmm, last I knew more than a few of these cars were originally painted in Glidden Salchi Eurolac, a lacquer paint. And we're now worrying about out of plain view, superior performing, products?

4. AN-M

AN-M Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    André
    As far as I can read your arguments are subjectiv, so is everyone elses for that matter. Why don't you actually measure the voltage drop acrosse the connectors, do a comparison. :)

5. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Agreed there is no 'hype' here as the modern fuseblocks are technically superior to the original ones and are a worthy replacement for those owners who value reliability, longevity, and cost savings over originality.

This thread does bring back memories as a few F-chatters who have been around long enough may remember that I am the one who actually came up with the Birdman fuseblock solution. This was way back to about 2003 (before the big F-chat server crash) when I was sick of the OEM fuseblocks and posted online a full tutorial showing how to make new ones. Shortly afterwards Birdman contacted me and asked if it was ok for him to make them and sell them to which I said be my guest and the rest is 308 history.

At the time I did run tests on my fuse block and an old OEM box as well as a new OEM box and found the upgraded box to be better in every measurment I took. Sorry but I no longer have that data but I do remember that the engine cranked better, windows were faster, and all lights were brighter since installing the blocks. Since I installed mine I never looked at my fuses ever again.

6. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Actually sodium filled valves are better for racing, as they are lighter and stay cooler, and are $400 a valve from Ferrari. Solid valves are heavier and run hotter and are a fraction of the price ....these solid valves are better for cruising around yorkville. Ferrari's were made for racing. Personally, I would still opt for a solid valve.

7. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    High Five Rob

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    A white one and a black one (base color) so more like $600 to replace OEM units.

And while I have no direct evidence from testing, the new units SEEM to have better spring pressure on the fuse ends, and oddly I have not had a new one "melt" but I have replaced the cooling fans with modern (lower amperage) units, and I also monitor my Fuel Pump (other old car hot spot) for condition, if I hear it slowing down I investigate and replace.

I don't care about window speed, don't use them much.

9. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I also have access thru work to a product called Cool Amp, basically a silver paste that coats terminals and fights corrosion, improves conductivity, and helps those lil' 12V DC electrons mosey along down the old cowpath, there....:D :D

Birdmans fuse configuration is "better" in more surface area is used on the fuse itself, and the new fuse clips provide positive clamping force to the fuse.

10. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Absolutely, usually renewal of the crimp on terminal will fix things, if you see it in time, damaged wire (plating melted off) and insulation are harder fixes and sould be new wire, then reterminate..

I cut thru the wiring loom with a chop saw, once.........Man, was I pizzed!!

11. BigTex

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Sodium valves are still used today in lots of modern engines.

But in our cars (on the street as mentioned) solid valves of modern alloys IMO equal the original 1977 benchmark.
    Don't mix up up two Ferrari Urban Myths in ONE thread!!! LOL!

12. AN-M

AN-M Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2012
    Norway
    Full Name:
    André
    #62 AN-M, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I don't doubt that Birdmans fusebox have a lower voltage drop, and do a better job of conducting current than the original, but the overall design leaves much to be desired from a safety point of view. No offence. There are lots of generic well isolated boxes available for a fraction of the price, if you're not worried about originality.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Its my Saturday hobby, keeps my knuckles from getting bloody. :D

14. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Andre'

I did a fair amount of analysis of this in my Fuse Block thread in the Boxer section:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/boxers-tr-m/140216-boxer-fuse-block-upgrade.html

Specific Data Posts:
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/136563619-post37.html
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/136920194-post96.html

Also, to those that thank the fuse block problem is solely a problem with the car... this is not always the case, as there are inherent problems with the OEM block's design and construction and my test data clearly shows this. That being said, problems with a car's electrical components/systems will certainly enhance OEM fuse block issues.

Cheers,

Sam

15. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    I was saying why I think the originals are from a technical perspective better. Just like the Helms hoses, supporters of after market products seem to get all bent over nothing.

Problem with this place is it seems that people are allowed to high five all over the place but when ever someone doesn't like a product or service they get crapped on for saying so or accused of not having a life.

While I'm not saying its all hype there is definitely a certain amount to it.

These fuse boxes are alright, nothing that I would consider a modern replacement sold by Ferrari.

If anyone wants a Birdman set they can buy mine for half price, had it on Ferrari adds for ages and no one took them for $50 ! They must be worth that to someone.

16. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Damn. That is way hotter than I thought. Explains why the left sticker on my cover appeared to be faded/discolored over the 25amp fuse. You ever planning to make more of yours Sam? Tried to pm you but your box is full.

17. Ferraridoc

Ferraridoc F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2012
    Gold Coast, Aust.
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    #67 Ferraridoc, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
    Hi Sam, I've been trying to PM you for months, but your inbox was full

I'm well into a fuse box re-design/upgrade on my QV, but would definitely switch to your design if you ever do another run of them. I think I could be fairly confident in saying you'll sell 100 in short order.

Any plans?

Patrick

18. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    I think you can get replacement stickers form superformance or maybe Dr Kanga has made some.

19. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks! Yah, I saw those...but swapped to the birdman so the covers no longer fit. : )

20. singletrack

singletrack F1 Veteran

Mar 16, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Who is getting bent? I don't see how the originals are superior. Aside from the cover fitting, they seem inferior in every way. We have detailed analysis from an EE on the topic (Sam). Awesome to have the kind of detail.

That is every car forum in the world in my experience. I didn't say you had no life; what I said is that I have a life, so I have no desire to do testing on the stock vs. birdman box - it is obvious to me what the results would be. Now we have Sam who was good enough to point the newbs like me to that data. It is more compelling than I expected.

Just seems like cheap insurance to me, and it is backed by real scientific testing and measurement. The notion that any 308 without an upgrade will burst into flames is certainly hype.

I would have bought them from you. I find Ferrari ads difficult to navigate at times...

21. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    I didn't know Sam was making these and it was an interesting read, I was glad to see the covers work on them.

22. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco
    answer--------anyone, anyone

23. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Well it is always nice to have something new to worry about

24. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Well to start with it is illegal to use lacquer anywhere in the world except parts of Africa and China....

25. Rock

Rock Formula 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Toronto, Canada
    Full Name:
    Rocco