What is the best “no-rinse” car wash on the market today? | FerrariChat

What is the best “no-rinse” car wash on the market today?

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by DreamCarrera, Feb 22, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DreamCarrera

DreamCarrera Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    What is the best waterless(or no rinse) car wash product on the market today? It’s been awhile since I have researched this topic and I was wandering if any new products in this category have hit the market recently.

Also, would these products really be safe to use on perfect, swirl free paint? Will they leave any type of marring if used properly?

I used to think this type of wash method would be a great alternative for the cold winter months. Now, however, I'm beginning to think it may be a great year-round washing method as I'm fed up with washing my cars the old fashioned way...it takes far too much time and effort.

TIA for any help/comments...

2. clickclickboom

clickclickboom Karting

Dec 30, 2009
    PA
    Full Name:
    Terry
    Optimum no rinse. ONR. Two capfulls, two gallons of water. Wash then dry off. Works great for light dirt and driving dust. I would not use it to wash off heavy winter salt and crud.

3. Arnie

Arnie Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2011
    New Jersey
    You will never maintain swirl free paint if use a no wash car wash. There is no way to remove dirt particles from the paint you will always leave some particles behind which will scratch the paint.

4. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
    I agree, you need to hose it off first. I could see a quick detailer spray for a light dust, but for anything more that that.... water.

5. craterface

craterface Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2011
    Sanibel Island, FL
    On my 1973 BMW 3.0cs, which cannot get wet because the Karmann body work is so poor, I use Griot's green waterless car wash with good results. The car rarely gets very dirty, though, and it is Polaris silver which hides dust and dirt very well. The paint is also 20 years old, so it is far from perfect anyway. Good product if you are obsessive about avoiding rust. Not an issue on my 550 Maranello.
    Scott

6. DreamCarrera

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Do you have first hand knowledge of this or are you simply guessing?

I would be inclined to agree with you, however I have heard from a few guys who are very knowledgeable in the field of auto detailing that claim that the advanced polymers within these products(ONR in particular) serve to adequately lube the paint surface and avoid scratching. In fact, some have gone as far as saying these products are superior to the old wash method due to the superior lubricating properties of these products. Although, I am highly sceptical of this. Of course, I'm assuming you need to use common sense when using these products in order to get great results(i.e. not using these products as the only means to wash a heavily soiled car). Also, I believe pre-spraying the car with the product before washing helps to obtain superior results.

I'd be very interested to hear if anyone here uses these waterless wash products to clean their immaculate, swirl-free paint and can give us their results.

7. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    My detailer uses waterless car wash and has on all my cars for 4 years - 4 different ferraris, two Maseratis. I don't know what the chemicals are but it really works - never leaves swirls - I know people are skeptical but I am very anal when it comes to my cars and he is the only detalier I use on a regular basis when I am in Florida for the winter. I wish I has someone in North Carolina like him.

8. Arnie

Arnie Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2011
    New Jersey
    I concourse my car and you can discuss this with any national judge about swirls and waterless car wash. The key question is how dirty is your car. If it is just dust and has not been out in the rain it probably will work but if your car is dirty it will not work. Grit and grime do not completely lift off granted technique is also key how much you use and how often you change the towel or microfiber. Even improper technique during a normal car wash will scratch your paint like going in circles while washing the car. Always go front to back.

9. DreamCarrera

Oct 25, 2006
    S.E. PA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #9 DreamCarrera, Mar 2, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
    When you say frequently change the microfiber cloth, I think you are misunderstanding the no-rinse wash method I have in mind(which is also the method used by most, I believe, who use ONR).

I would use a two bucket method, one filled with clean rinse water and the other filled with a mixture of the no-rinse wash and water. The wash instrument would be a genuine lamb's wool wash mitt(not a microfiber towel).

Basically, my thinking on the proper wash technique is as follows: 1.) Use a spay bottle mixed with a solution of water and the no-rinse wash to pre-soak the entire car(this step is very important to help avoid scratching). 2.) Dip the lamb's wool wash mitt in the wash solution bucket(the first time it is not needed to 1st rinse the mitt in the rinse bucket) and gently wash the car one body panel at a time(starting with the roof and working down from there). 3.) In between washing separate body panels I would 1st dunk the wash mitt in the rinse bucket a few times to release the trapped dirt before dunking the mitt again into the clean wash solution bucket. 4.) Dry the car with a microfiber cloth, applying light pressure in case there is left over grit on the paint surface that may scratch.

To those of you who use this wash method; am I missing anything here in my description of the no-rinse wash process? Surely there must be some members here on Fchat that wash their own cars with this method and can give us some feedback on their results.

10. Arnie

Arnie Formula Junior

Oct 5, 2011
    New Jersey
    I now understand I thought you were talking about a waterless car wash. i see no benefit or advantage of what you are doing. I rinse my car with demineralized water using Groit's filters. The water just flows off hardly need to dry the car. it also prevents hard water spots on your paint and glass.

11. Doug R

Doug R Karting

Oct 11, 2005
    Yellow Springs Ohio
    FWI. Most commercial self serve washes have spot free rinse water. It is generally water run through a reverse osmosis (RO) filter. If maintained it is truely as stated. A problem is having a car clean enough everywhere that no contaminated water runs out from a door jam or such as you drive away, assuming you didn't dry every square inch of your car.

12. vf430

vf430 Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2009
    SoCal
  13. dlopez001

dlopez001 Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2007
    CA
    Full Name:
    DL
    #13 dlopez001, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
    I've used 3 methods, but first some quick facts...

* Vehicle: Silverstone Scuderia; entire front has clear bra
    * Environment: S. California, always garaged, not driven in the rain (hence no 'wet' road debris)
    * Detail: Professional detail once per year (correct swirls / light scratching and apply sealant)
    * Maintenance: Weekly wipe down per one of the methods below

1. Meguire's Ultimate Quik Detailer -- Simple spray on, wipe off with microfiber towels. I noticed a lot of guys at C&C would use this product to wipe of the dust that had accumulated during their drive to C&C. Good for very light road dust only.

2. Optimum No Rinse -- Two bucket method following directions similar to what was described in earlier post. Good for moderate road dirt (not mud!). I tend to use a little more of the concentrate to increase lubrication, but I mix with tap water. The downside of using higher concentration is you cannot let the solution dry very much before wiping dry (else will leave streaks).

3. ECO Touch Waterless Car Wash -- Our local high-end detailer turned me on to this stuff (fyi, he is a mobile waterless detailer and this is the same product he uses to wash cars before he details them). Purchased as a concentrate and mixed in a spray bottle with distilled water. Simple spray on (I spray A LOT), wipe off with microfiber towels. At first I was skeptical and thought this would only be a suitable replacement for the quick detail spray. But its lubricating properties are much better. Thus I'd place it on par (or even better) with ONR in terms of the dirt-level it can handle. And, after drying the paint surface (with a 2nd microfiber towel), this stuff leaves a very slick 'film' on the paint surface; almost feels like it has been recently waxed. For bird droppings and bug splat, I spray once, let it soak in for several minutes, then spray again.

ALL THIS BEING SAID, I don't care what products / methods are used, scratches during cleaning are inevitable. Sure some products / methods help reduce scratches, but it will happen. Thus the value/importance of a periodic detail / light paint correction.

Just my experience & input.

DL

14. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    Meguire's Ultimate Quik Detailer if car is "dusty" and not "dirty".

15. sindo308qv

sindo308qv F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    miami.fl.
    Full Name:
    sindo
  16. The Kook Abides

The Kook Abides F1 Rookie

Jan 4, 2011
    Just like everything else advertised... cut the results in half with twice the effort and you will be satisfied.

17. MBFerrari

MBFerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2008
    NoVA
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    When necessary and with light cleaning Adam's Polishes or Griots Products are both good.

18. eyeman1234

eyeman1234 Formula 3
    Owner

Dec 25, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    Any new products or different opinions?

19. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    I use Optimum no rinse wash and wax (the green stuff). I actually use it as a quick detailer for most (95%+) of my washes. I think the ratio is 6oz of product per gallon of water. I use distilled water. I put it in a a half gallon garden sprayer. I soak each panel and dry with a microfiber (use several micro fibers per wash).

It works great on my daily driver (Porsche). It's a daily driver, so I don't worry too much about swirls, though I believe if you are careful you can do it without creating swirls (if you are really anal, you can use 1 microfiber per panel). I also use it on my 308.

It's nice that you can basically wash and wax your car in 10-20 minutes. Leaves time for the important stuff, like driving.

20. Alden

Alden F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 25, 2010
    Central Florida
    #20 Alden, Nov 27, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    In a secluded location and while looking over my shoulder every few minutes for the "Ferrari Detailing Enforcment Procedure Police" SWAT team to appear and haul me away, I tried this product for the first time a few weeks ago.

I soaked 4-5 micro fiber towels in the bucket of wash mix and used a new towel when the old one got dirty and folded the towel to swap the exposed surface every 1/2 panel or so.

It works really well when the car is simply dusty or when it may have a few bugs and such that need to be removed from the bumper/front valance area. I let it soak in those areas before carefully wiping it with a clean, dry micro fiber towel.

A little high quality spray wax for the finish and the car looks great, IMHO.

I have been very happy with the result, although I don't think it will replace a conventional two bucket wash when the car is really dirty. I can'see any swirls or other "damage" to the single state paint on my Ferrari.

Detailing/caring for the appearache of a Ferrari is really is a balance between time, money and effort.

I also have freinds to spend more time detailing their cars than they do driving them. Whatever makes you happy.

Alden

21. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Don't look now, but I think there are some black suburbans outside your door.

Scuderia NoVA likes this.
  22. Jsf721

Jsf721 Karting

May 15, 2015
    Guys, I am a detailing geek at heart and I can tell you a few things from first hand knowledge.

1. If any car is really dirty- you don't want to rinse-less wash it (unless you cannot wet it for some reason)
    2. Dark color cars (Navy/Black) will show more swirling if damaged so use caution with waterless washing.
    3. I have successfully used the following rinse-less and spray and wipe products on my special cars without maring them. They were dusty not dirty. say a day of driving and I wanted to get any road film off. ONR, Spray and Wipe and most recently waterless wipe. You need nice fluffy MF towels they are as important as you chemical.

4. I have a Gyeon coated DD Infiniti Q70X Sport in Charcoal gray. I decided to try a rinse-less wash and it was dirty by anyones definition, Bird bombs and all. It worked great and no marring in the process (I checked as I have 2 banks of 5000 lumen light over head for detailing and they show everything):

I mixed 4 oz of ONR in 2.5 gallons of warm water (it was cold out in NY) and put 30-35 Hi Quality MF towels into the mix. They absorbed 85% of the liquid. Next I placed soaking wet towels over the bird bombs to soften them up. I folded the soaking wet towels into quarters and started at the hood, wiping feom windshield to fromt lip, after eascg stroke I used a different 1/4 of both sides of the towel. About 2 towels per panel. when the panel was cleaned, I took one towel and went over the whole area for a 2nd time. then dried it with a drying towel. Next I send and wiped the dissolved Bird bombs off with the back to the towels that were soaking them.

Got my whole car clean, did all the paint, then dropped some cheaper MF in the remaining solution and did door jambs, exhaust, wheels, tires, wells engine. I threw those super dirty MF in the trash when done as I don't want them in my washing machine :).

My car had zero marring I was really expecting some but wanted to try. Its a lease and I can always polish it out of I messed up the finish.

They only area I was not happy with was the tires. I never got them clean enough and as a result the tire dressing look fair to me at best. All I did was wipe the tires with a MF, next time I will brush them with a stiff brush and waterless wash and then wipe them. Ill let you know how that does. down with a MF soaped in WW.

Anyway I hope this helps.

23. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

24. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    great stuff here thanks guys