ferrari vs r8 | FerrariChat

ferrari vs r8

Discussion in '360/430' started by mdwfa2001, Mar 3, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mdwfa2001

mdwfa2001 Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    K
    I sold my 360 spyder, and im on the fence between getting another f car vs audi r8v10 spyder. I feel that the audi will allow to be more dl and get alot less attention. However, i want to hear from you the actual hands on exp of r8v10vs a 430 or 430 scuderia. I know ferraris are alot more exciting to drive. Is it worth it to switch to audi r8 v10. thanks.

2. alexkam

alexkam Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Sunny CA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    I drove a V10 spider for a couple months. Ferrari's are much more fun! The Audi is a great car and a blast to drive, but a Ferrari..well it's a Ferrari..

3. 993man

993man Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2009
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Do you really think a R8 will draw less attention? Seriously?
    They are one sexy looking car. So well proportioned.
    Sadly I haven't had the pleasure of a drive, but I will say I was offered an R8 for a little less than the 360 at the time.

One day I would like an R8.

4. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    I have a friend that uses his R8 Spider as a DD.. He loves it and says its reliable as they come.

5. secondsole

secondsole Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2013
    O-H!
    Full Name:
    Michael
    You could always consider a Ferrari, NOT in read...this will draw less attention, kind of...

6. DrDon

DrDon F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jul 11, 2012
    Infractionville
    Full Name:
    Armando Decredenza
    If you are tall, (I'm 6'1") you will find the R8 Spider cockpit too short. They did something with the folding top storage which makes it a smaller man's (or woman's) car.

When I first sat in a 360 spider after looking very hard at an Audi R8 (we are an Audi family), I could not believe how roomy the cockpit was after being told for years that Ferraris were cramped.

Audi does make a nice car though (including Lambos).

7. Houston348

Houston348 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2006
    Sorry, but Ferrari is just in a whole other league than Audi.... even IF it's an R8..
    simply.. it's still an Audi

8. Gated

Gated Formula 3

Dec 21, 2009
    +1. The R8 coupe has a lot more room than 360/430 but the Spyder version is noticeably short on leg room.

9. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    My buddy had one for awhile - sold it - said it was boring.

He let me drive it - boring.

I'll keep my 360.

10. jrodrig688

jrodrig688 Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2012
    FL
    Full Name:
    Jose Rodriguez
    #10 jrodrig688, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
    Scud v R8. Driving experience the Scud hands down. Scud is a race car. For DD then go with R8. If you want attention go with Ferrari.
    Im 6'4" and fit in 430 or scud no problems. My scud has plenty of room.

11. tr328

tr328 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2003
    Pacifica, California
    Full Name:
    Darryl
    R8 - Daily driver, nice car (yes)
    Just as much attention as a Ferrari (NO WAY!)

12. Gated

Gated Formula 3

Dec 21, 2009
    I'm 6'5" and there's definitely more headroom in the R8. My hair's brushing the roof in the 430. Probably depends on proportions.

13. Ferrarireligious

Feb 27, 2013
    sweden
    Full Name:
    Christopher Sietses
    By a 612 in blue, that would do it hehe, thay o forthe same price as well..

I dont have the expeience of the most of the people here, but i have to say, i hate the sound that Audi's does.. it just sound so.. ehm.. not enjoyable, same goes with R8's

14. jet

jet Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    I have a CS and an R8. R8 is a great handling car and gets almost as much attention as the CS. Stock R8 does't sound exciting. Mine is Stasis tuned and fitted with their exhaust and sounds like a beast. You really can't go wrong with the Audi as a daily driver but don't expect to stay under the radar and not get attention.

15. djkling

djkling Formula Junior

Sep 28, 2012
    Newfields, NH
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    Having been in an R8 from time to time... Only "ricers" and true car nuts will see you. It's a great stealth fighter. But if that's what you're going for buy a 370z or a corvette or a Porsche. A Ferrari is a whole different class of car entirely. I don't like a ton of attention so my car is silver.

As an aside, my car is inspected at an Audi/Porsche place and last time I went in the Porsche guy offered me even trade for my 04 360 spider for a new 911 and 20 minutes later the owner came up and offered me the new R8 for it. They said it would be a great draw into the shop. That, bearing in mind there is a lot full of high end Porsches and few R8's in the window.

16. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    I came from an R8 to CS to Scuderia.

Where I had the R8 (SF, Bay Area), it is considered a very inconspicuous daily-driveable all-wheeling GT. Hardly gets any attention, even when modded. I had a Tubi Rumore, HRE 20" wheels, PPI front lip & rear diffuser & grilles, lowered, carbon everywhere you name it, I've probably modded it. The true gear heads will give you a nod, but the more mainstream folks not really.

I had a 6-speed manual, and the gated shift was awesome fun. R-tronic is clunky, less so on the later V10s but still nothing to rave about. Before all the PPI stuff, it was a very practical daily hehe no clearance issues or anything, but after all that stuff went on things got challenging.

You definitely do not get the raging sense of passion or visceral exchange you will get out of a CS or a Scuderia, so if that's something you're looking for you will be sorely disappointed. If you want something more compliant, then yes the R8 will be a great next car to step into.

If you're looking for fun (without having to go excessively quick), then you will again be sorely disappointed.

17. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    I concur with what has been said previously. I had an 08 R8 all blacked out- I put almost 50k miles on it without one hiccup. Car started every time I turned the key, got 30K miles out of the rears, still has original fronts ( as of when I traded it in in Dec 2012). Original e clutch- never a problem- original brakes.
    I think of the R8 like a 911. You can drive it every day with no issues.
    I thought it got too much attention UNTIL I traded it in my black/black 430. As most owners will tell you, the 430 gets a lot of attention- good or bad.
    Even though I love the 430, I do dread hooking and hooking the battery charger every time. The R8- turn the key and go. 430, wait 5 minutes for everything to warm up.

Time for 430 owners to come clean and admit it- our heart skips a beat when you start it and the check engine light,tire pressure,transmission box or air bag light stays on too long. Any 430 owner that tells you this has never happened to him is a liar- or he has only owned the car a few days.

That being said, I look forward to getting on the 430 and going somewhere. As many have said before- it is an event.

If you are looking for a car to zip up to the grocery store, swing by the gym, pick up laundry without the stress of some dash light coming on, might consider the R8.

Side by side, if I had to pick one as my primary or secondary mode of transportation- R8.

Third car, 430.

18. mdwfa2001

mdwfa2001 Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    K
    pretty much what i hear is what i expected....thats why its so hard to downgrade to a audi r8.; No matter the price as one said its still an audi at the end of the day, and i had a feeling even the v10 might not give the visceral exp that i so loved about the fcar. At this point in my life im looking for something under the radar..but not as a dd. I don't consider it in the same league as a fcar...but if it can keep me somewhat excited for a year or two that should be fine.....On the otherhand i think the r8 spyder looks very nice physically. You're right though..I can't get over how weak the car sounds....even with the modded exhausts.

19. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    My Tubi Rumore was in no way "weak" that's for sure.

You might want to consider an MP4 if you're looking for something more of a "parallel" change; I have one in Taipei and it's pretty much a quicker R8 with all the same creature comforts. Even more inconspicuous than the R8...most folks don't even know what they're looking at, then you swing up those butterfly doors and they suddenly realize it's not your run-of-the-mill honda.

20. jet

jet Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    + 1. There is nothing "weak" in the way a V10 R8 sounds with an after market exhaust such as Tubi or Capristo. OP should listen to one before making that observation.

21. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    I'll admit that the R8 will get more attention than a 360. Maybe the 360 gets more attention when the owner isn't in or around the car, but the R8 will not be ignored and people will approach the owner and not feel intimidated. By the way, the R8 will have women giving it much but much longer stares, if you care about that side of car ownership.

22. bgmix

bgmix Formula Junior
    Owner

Aug 1, 2009
    AZ|NYC|FL
    Full Name:
    Bob Giammarco
    I don't know... I do all of those things in my current 430 without incident or warning lights. Same for my 360 and previous 430. The 360 threw a code once. The MAF sensor was replaced and that was that. No worries, no trouble. The only thing I ever really have to be careful of is ground clearance.

23. wildkalabaw

wildkalabaw Karting

Jul 11, 2008
    Also, If you drive the 430 as often as drjohngober drive his R8, and you replace battery as it is recommended in R8, you NEVER have to hook it up to a battery charger.

I had a dash warning once, and it's for TPMS due to 1 tire low pressure. System worked well on monitoring it, and very accurate reading too. I re-inflated tire, re-calibrate TPMS, you need to do this if pressure difference is more than 10 psi between tires, reset it and cleared after 5 mile very pleasant drive.

IMO, CEL's and dash warning light is a common concern for almost all brands and models.
    Just the other day I had CEL on my S550, It cleared itself after 4 starts.

24. mdwfa2001

mdwfa2001 Formula Junior

Apr 21, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    K
    I do my homework b4 I speak..what I meant is sounds weak compared to a ferrari...growling and throaty loud but never f1 aggressive pitch..no matter what u put on there...I asked this on the r8 forums. And they confirmed this over there too.

25. Gated

Gated Formula 3

Dec 21, 2009
    You're not going to get that F1 pitch without a flat-plane crank.