La Ferrari The Ford | Page 3 | FerrariChat

La Ferrari The Ford

Discussion in '288GTO/F40/F50/Enzo/LaFerrari' started by Napolis, Mar 6, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Let's see . . . 255 posts? Yeah, that's the number.

Generally, the number of posts a person has is irrelevant if the content of any particular post is reasonable. Exceptions abound, particularly when a person has earned the benefit of the doubt, through a history of making thoughtful and rational posts. A person gets to, say 2,500 posts, and his or her personality is reasonably clear. At 255, many of us reserve judgment, until the poster gives us a reason to abandon the reserve of judgment.

Further, as beauty and inspiration is a matter of opinion, one is perplexed at how the bold and pejorative word "potential" is used in your post.

From what I have read on this board, Napolis' only claim to 'stature' here is that he is a fellow poster and a car lover. He has never thrown around any 'stature' or tried to exert any "pull" around here. In short, he acts like a normal guy--with a hell of a cool garage.

Be careful using words like "pathetic" and "juvenile" because some of us have attended college and understand the 'potential' concept of "projection."

With only 255 posts, you have a chance to become a valuable member of this community, through good comments. Something to think about.

2. Drive550PFB

Rossa Subscribed

Daytona Prototype. Is it a TT V-8?

3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    But didn't Jim copy elements of the original P4 into the P4/5?

So, who is copying who really?

To me, the new car actually doesn't look much like the P4/5 so I think it's all rather moot.

And, here is my rational for that statement. The P4/5 looks very much like a revisionist interpretation of the original P4. The F70 does not. That's plain and simple and easy to understand.

Ferrari's have curves which LDM added after the hard edged 348 and Testarossa with the 355 and then the clean sheet 360 and 599. Jim didn't do that.

I love Jim's P4/5. But, let's remember where the design elements really originated too. They originated long before the P4/5 was ever thought of in other, older, Ferrari cars.

4. i.gonz

i.gonz Rookie

Jan 14, 2013
    Thanks for sharing ! Never knew there was so much controversy around p4/5

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. Skovbo

Skovbo Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2012
    #55 Skovbo, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
    Number of posts. Really? That's the argument you are going with.

In that case, you too have the chance hance to become a valuable member of this community, through good thoughtful and rational posts. Something to think about. ;)

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I would agree with you.

7. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Then you should come more often around here. There are lots of post way worse than that!

8. Drive550PFB

Rossa Subscribed

Obviously, you missed the entire point of my post. And you missed the fact I was giving you a graceful exit--a chance to show a little respect and humility. Those are two qualities that will serve you well as your post count climbs. The 'post count' was not the issue; it was a ticket--again, a concept you obviously have not learned.

Next time you insult a long time member of this board--a member who has earned his chops--I will not be so polite.

And, one more thing . . . I defend long time members, even when I disagree with them. Just ask my buddy Flash. You can disagree with him (and I often do), but if you insult him, I will call you out.

9. Statler

Statler F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2011
    I greatly enjoy reading threads like this and took that post as a pretty cheap shot at someone who shares stuff regularly that he doesn't have to share at all.

I take Jim's take on Ferrari stuff as just that... His take on it. I don't understand why people take any issues he has with Ferrari so personally as there are very few people who are actually personally involved at that level.

Well, clearly he doesn't need me sticking up for him here so I'll leave it at my $.02. I did want to post a thanks for the cool thread info.

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I doubt anything as heated, focused, and popular as the topic of LaFerrari with this tangent discussion of P4/5 right now. FYI we handle personal attack issues on a daily basis, but not many would notice or should unless you are personally invovled.

11. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Yes the engine we'd use is a 3.8 Liter TT V8. All DP's are very carefully BP'd so in endurance tune we'd go for about 600HP. 2014 is a complicated year for GA with the merger of ALMS. There are a lot of factories thinking of joining as a DP will VERY likely be winner the 24 Hours of Daytona next year. Next year Sebring joins GA/ALMS and there is talk of DP's being invited to Le Mans at some point. If this happens it will be a full factory effort that we will run and involve major sponsors. The manufacturer would bring cars to the races for customers to test and we'd go all out to help them sell their cars in the US.

12. avishar

avishar Karting

Jul 5, 2008
    bangalore,india
    Full Name:
    avishar dutta
    I am thinking Mclaren? :)

Jim,if you do make a road car,please create one which is devoid of any hybrid tech.A lightweight,rigid,TT,shorn of too many electronic aids and nannies.And yes styled by Pininfarina.

Thanks for that story.Your posts are informative and well written as always!

13. Skovbo

Skovbo Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2012
    #63 Skovbo, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
    I'm not even going to go into this "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"-discussion as you clearly have not understood the subject matter of my previous post. Allow me to clarify for it for you; I want to avoid that this thread becomes another P4/5 vs. LF.
    I believe you are mixing things together here. I respect Jim, his great car collection, his taste and his passion for racing. I enjoy a big chunk of his posts as well.
    I will let this one slide as I find this part rather ironic. :)

14. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    No not McLaren for either race or road. Our next road car will go in an entirely different direction.

Much smaller (4 meters), much lighter, (Well under 2000lb), CF tub, much simplier, and very beautiful rather than brutal.

15. Skovbo

Skovbo Formula Junior

Aug 8, 2012
    It is very admirable that you defend your friends and long time members.

Good for you.

16. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Yow

17. HK boy

HK boy Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2012
    Del Mar, California
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Ferrari just made a 3.8L TT V8 that is in the new Quattroporte now.

18. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    The engine was designed by and is Maserati but it is built at the Ferrari Factory. Very nice engine.

Any road car engine we'd start with would need development before it would work in a Race Car.

We would do that development.

19. HK boy

HK boy Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2012
    Del Mar, California
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thank you very much for the clarification.

Again for the thousand times, your P4/5 ROCKS!! You are my hero :)

20. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Sure beats watching uh, Life of uh, Riley over and over . . .

21. HK boy

HK boy Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2012
    Del Mar, California
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Well under 2000 lbs with 600+ hp, it might not look brutal, but will sure be brutally fast!

22. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    I don't really understand the whole crusade to convince the world the design of LaFerrari is based on P4/5. The whole notion is just ridiculous. Of course there are similarities, since both cars are interpretations of the same concept ('super' Ferrari's with the V12 in the rear) and both cars show visual clues of the endurance racers of the sixties. And I really don't think Ferrari needed P4/5 to give them the idea to get some inspiration from the competitioncars from those days. Ferrari has a world of inspiration if looking to the past was their thing. But it isn't. Ferrari will never do a modern take on a vintage car. Mr. Ferrari himself always stated that the best Ferrari was the next. Therefor, whereas P4/5 relies (way too) heavily on the shapes and forms of the 330/312 competitioncars, the reference is very subtle in LaFerrari.

So why can't we like or dislike P4/5 on it's own and why can't we like or dislike LaFerrari on it's own? What is the whole point of all this comparing?

And don't get me started on the fanboys (you know who you are) who call Jim their hero just because he is able to spend a couple of million to have an Enzo tailormade to his wishes. What is that all about? Jim isn't the only multimillionaire who has this hobby. There are more production Ferrari's that saw their original bodies removed and replaced with something bespoke. And yes, Luca didn't see a problem in letting them wear their Ferrari badges either. I don't think he could. As the owner of the car, you can do with it as you please. That includes putting a total new body on it.

23. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    You need to read the stories of the Ferrari 360 Limo lawsuit - Ferrari does feel they very much have a say in what you can and can't do with their cars and they are willing to pursue legal action if necessary to get their way.

>8^)
    ER

24. GTE

GTE F1 World Champ

Jun 24, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Marnix
    doesn't mean they are right.

25. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    You are trying to suggest that it was no big deal for Ferrari to have allowed an Enzo to be so heavily modified and still retain the name and badging. I'd say quite the opposite.

>8^)
    ER