Work so far on my 348 | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Work so far on my 348

Discussion in '348/355' started by Paul V, Mar 28, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CLIVE77

CLIVE77 Karting

Sep 10, 2010
    Upper Clatford, UK
    Full Name:
    Clive Spencer
    Paul - The car is simply stunning - a real credit to you. The interior is a real upgrade. If mine wasn't original concours, I would love one like yours. How does it drive compared with your 430????????????

2. brent Lachelt

brent Lachelt Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 6, 2003
    Brownsburg, INDIANA
    Full Name:
    Brent R.Lachelt
    Awesome Paul...congrats:)

3. chas-3

chas-3 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 28, 2009
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Chuck
    Nicely done Paul. The long journey comes to an end. Thanks for sharing it with us. :)

4. Paul V

Paul V Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2005
    Shropshire (UK)
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Again thanks all for your replies and kind words.

Today the car passed its MOT and i put 6 months road tax on it, while is was at the MOT station i had the tracking looked at and it was spot on ! amazing as i eyed it up on the floor. Drove it home from my workshop about 30 miles and all good so far.

From my little drive today i have to say SLOW "all noise and not much go" but the fuel is a few around 5 months old and i have yet to balance the throttle bodies.

The gearbox is much heaver but i have to say is quite rewarding when it is warm. As a side note, if i leave the 430 to warm up on the drive the gearbox is fine, tried the same trick with the 348 but it still did not want to take 2nd until i had driven it for a few miles.

The flywheel is quite light on the 430 so you have to use a lot of revs to stop it stalling when pulling away, the 348 is the opposite you can pull away on tick-over.

I enjoyed the drive, you i felt very connected to it and the lack of power steering is not a problem.

I have a list of snagging jobs to do like check the front wheels for balance as i have some vibration at around 70-80 mph, i have some wind noise coming in from the drivers door trim, the oil breather pipes back that enter the cam boxes as they are catching on the throttle linkage, install the carbon sill covers and re-fit the head light trims.

There is a local car show to me this Sunday and i will be taking the 348 :)

5. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Paul re the gear box, heard this a lot but it's not a snag with mine so it's not a given. Mine goes into second fine straight from cold. I'm sure they didn't do this out of the factory but many seem to develop this tendency. I do the 348 'shifting trick' (clutch down, into reverse into first in one movement) everytime I drive, maybe it loosens up the box, not sure. All I know is mine did that when I got it, a year later and doing the 'shifting trick' pretty much everytime I drive and it no longer does.

Regarding driving the 348 next to an F430, be very surprised if it didn't feel slow, that's not going to change next to your 430, but does it feel pretty 'alive' as in a bit more analogue, you feel everything that's going on? I find the 348 a very 'basic' driving experience, don't mean that in a bad way, I love it, I just find it good fun because it's so unfettled.

Anyway, glad you've got her on the road. :)

6. Extreme

Extreme F1 Rookie

May 26, 2010
    Northern Utah
    Full Name:
    Erick
    Very nice your interior is stunning and the wheels, ok the entire car is beautiful!

7. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Looks awesome!! :)

8. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Outstanding job, now you get to finally enjoy her

9. Paul V

Paul V Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2005
    Shropshire (UK)
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #284 Paul V, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Just a bit of a update,
    Done just over 80 miles in it now and so far so good, nothing had fallen off so far ! one thing i am going to change is the color of the wheels, going to do them silver as i think it makes the car look "cheap" with the centers being grey

I went to a local breakfast club meet on a RAF base on Sunday with it and a guy there snapped these photos
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Nice, I like the angles of the pictures. What effect did he use to get the airbrush look?

11. Paul V

Paul V Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2005
    Shropshire (UK)
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #286 Paul V, Mar 18, 2013
  12. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    It took seven years? Oh my goodness; enjoy 'her' in good health!

Gr. Martin

13. Moiluck

Moiluck Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2009
    Spain
    Full Name:
    Moisés
    A really nice work, Paul. Those seats are awesome, and I love the interior roof trim. Your car looks great.

14. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Leave it.

The gray makes them look unique. You don't want wheel that look like everyone else's wheels.

15. Paul V

Paul V Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2005
    Shropshire (UK)
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Been out in it today, mileage 184 so far.

Gearbox is still a ***** !! i did a long run (50+ miles) today and still at then end 2nd gear would not select all the time which is not good.

The front discs are floating type and are very noisy / rattley i also believe the size of the discs may be giving me vibrations, more investigation is required other than this all is good.

16. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Good to hear you're getting out and about in her Paul. Regarding 2nd gear, I've heard of others who struggle to select 2nd till the box is up to temp but never once everything is warmed up. Mine goes in find even when cold which mskes me think it's some form of adjustment problem but I'm not sure anyone has ever really nailed down what causes the problem.

17. Paul V

Paul V Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2005
    Shropshire (UK)
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #292 Paul V, Apr 21, 2013
    Just thought i would post up this photo, i took it 2 weeks ago on my phone and have only just got around to uploading it.

I have not used the 348 for few weeks now as it is back in my workshop as i don't have room for it at home at the moment.

I did have a play around with the gears before i put her away and i have found that if you push the lever over to the left of the gate for 2nd it will not go in gear at all !! its as if there is a lock out on the gate. However if you pull the lever to the right of the gate it goes in like butter!!! So some very fine adjustment is required, i hope to get it back on the ramp this week and take a look.

18. angelis

angelis F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 18, 2004
    London, England
    Full Name:
    Sy
    Don't forget the 348 meet!!!

19. tcannon

tcannon Formula 3

Feb 18, 2009
    Norman, OK
    Full Name:
    Todd Cannon
    Sounds like you need to check the shifter cable/linkage alignment.

20. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Car looks great Paul, a credit to you, well done.

21. Paul V

Paul V Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2005
    Shropshire (UK)
    Full Name:
    Paul

Just a small update, done just over 600 miles now, adjusted the gear change cables and 2nd gear goes in very well.

Been to a few car shows and even won best in class at one ! Response has all been very positive.

Still got a snagging list to do and I am just at Northampton Motorsport having the corner weights done and suspension set up.

I hope there're Is a photo attached to this post.

22. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Paul, yes the photo is there.

Nice job at the show, btw

23. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Hi Paul, how's life with you?

Now that you've had a bit more time with the car, what are your thoughts?

Also, might want to do a thread (maybe even on CS) on adjusting that gear linkage. Mine's fine but lots complain about a cantankerous 2nd gear.

24. Paul V

Paul V Formula Junior

Jan 25, 2005
    Shropshire (UK)
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #299 Paul V, Aug 9, 2013
    More photos from today.

------------------------------------------------

Hi there Pete, life is busy but all ok thanks.

Love the 348 put a smile on my face and get more looks than the F430 but it's louder! Got to say it still feels slow so after having the suspension set up today i asked them to put it on their Dyno.

It pulled 283 at the flywheel so around 17 down which i was fine with but having thought about it on the way home i had not took into account the Tubi and the mild porting job on the heads so a bit bemused.

Like i said it does not feel very lively, the initial say 25% throttle feel fine but then from that there is no more pull it just revs and makes noise, going to have a chat guy from blackpool way who does live mapping to see if he can improve it.

Re the 2nd gear, not going to post on CS as i feel its a waste of time posting technical threads on there, F-chat is the best place for that.

What i found was it would not go in 2nd gear full stop, it was like it was locked out! So playing with the lever i found that if i pulled the lever to the right of the slot in the gate it would go in gear, if you pushed it over to the left it would not go in gear at all.

Now we are only talking 2mm difference but when you take into account the fulcrum point it will be quite a lot.

Now the USA/ LHD people don't have the issue the RHD cars have or should i say the RHD cars seem worse, my take is in a LHD car you would naturally push the lever over to the right of the gate to change into 2nd where us RHD would push over to the left of the gate and for me it was this point where is would just not go into gear.

What i did is got my son to sit in the car, sent it up on the ramp and adjusted it at the gearbox end, it is much better now.

25. Nosevi

Nosevi Formula 3

Jul 8, 2011
    Lincoln
    Full Name:
    Pete
    All sounds good mate. My 348 feels ok all the way to the red line, but there again I'm not comparing it to a 430 :)

It does make a difference doing an ECU reset in mine though. My induction/exhaust is very opened out, not a lot of back pressure especially, and if the battery has been off and I just drive (as I did after the last service) it felt a little lack-luster. Did an ECU reset and she was back to her old self, chomping at the bit to got faster, really seems to make a big difference.

Just about to hit the sack but you off to the 348 meet on 18th Aug? Be good to see you there.