Countach Technical Thread & Questions | FerrariChat

Countach Technical Thread & Questions

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by jollygood, Mar 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jollygood

jollygood Formula 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Full Name:
    jollygood
    Maybe an idea to have a tech section here on lchat for the almighty Countach!

I want to replace my rubber clutch line on the clutch slave cylinder.
    Not that it is broken but as preventive maintenance!

I just replaced the brake rubber lines with new ones that I got from Goodridge.
    Stainless steel braided type. Very nice piece.

They also supplied me the clutch line but it had the wrong end fittings.
    And they can not supply a correct clutch line they say.

The OEM clutch line/hose has metric threads at both ends, which are M12x1.0.

Has anyone here replaced their OEM clutch line with a SS braided line?
    If so, where can I have one?

PS! Goodridge say that they can make me a clutch line but it will have the diameter of their brake line, which they think can be to thin for a clutch application.

2. blown daytona

blown daytona Formula 3

Feb 6, 2008
    maryland
    I would think it is OK. I never have measured clutch pressure vs. brake pressure, but clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder bores are smaller than brake master cylinder and caliper piston bores. That would lead me to believe that a clutch should use less force.

3. jollygood

jollygood Formula 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Full Name:
    jollygood
    Goodridge say that their clutch line may be causing the clutch working "lazy" due to hose/line diameter being less than OEM.

So who supplies SS braided metric threaded clutch hose/lines?
    With correct diameter.
    I want a braided hose to also avoid a different clutch feeling when things get hot down there!

4. triple-x

triple-x Formula 3

Jun 4, 2009
    Full Name:
    Mr.Platinum
    Let me know what you find out about your clutch master line.

I'm going to be replacing mine next week.

5. jollygood

jollygood Formula 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Full Name:
    jollygood

Sure, will do.
    By the way, there is another company doing these SS braided brake/clutch lines.
    They are DOT approved as well:
    Techna-Fit Online Store

6. gday

gday Formula 3

Sep 10, 2004
    CA, USA - NSW, AUS
    Full Name:
    Mick
    #6 gday, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I'd asked similar questions for my own Countach with the place that works on my cars (Driven Exotics). Steve apparently stocks the various lines (see one pic I was sent).

-mick
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. triple-x

triple-x Formula 3

Jun 4, 2009
    Full Name:
    Mr.Platinum
    Steve is a nice guy I've had a couple of friendly conversations.

As soon as I know what I need to be needing to replace I'm going to see what he has in stock.

It took me 6 weeks to get the oil filter, I've also been waiting almost 3 months for a simple fuel filter for a carb 5000s.

8. triple-x

triple-x Formula 3

Jun 4, 2009
    Full Name:
    Mr.Platinum

My oil is illegal for street use.

My brake fluid is illegal in FL (ATE Blue)

I might as well add illegal SS lines to my clutch and call it an outlaw model. lmao

9. triple-x

triple-x Formula 3

Jun 4, 2009
    Full Name:
    Mr.Platinum
    Here's one for your electrical gurus.

My fuel gauge has been in-op for a while probably 15+ years. lol

Since my dash is out I decided to correct the few things that were disconnected and or not grounded properly.

I grounded my test light and started poking behind the fuel gauge when I put my test light (with ignition on) on the red and black wire my fuel gauge worked perfect. When I took off the red/black wire it does not work.

I checked the sender unit a while back there's power going to it so I'm assuming it's grounded properly. I have brand new quality fuses in the fuse box so it's not a fuse.

What else needs checked?

10. jollygood

jollygood Formula 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Full Name:
    jollygood

Yes, I know Steve. He services my other car.
    Will ask him about the clutch line and if there really are any issues with these thinner SS braided clutch lines.
    Did you already fit this SS clutch line in your car?
    How does the clutch feel and operate?
    Any difference when really warm, like in stand still traffic?
    Thanks for posting the picture.

11. jollygood

jollygood Formula 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Full Name:
    jollygood

My bet is that fuel sender is corroded and/or the wiring on it is broken.
    It is pretty easy to remove and verify.

12. triple-x

triple-x Formula 3

Jun 4, 2009
    Full Name:
    Mr.Platinum
    #12 triple-x, Mar 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If the fuel sender was not working my gauge would not mark that there's 3/4's full tank which is what it DOES have.

My gauge only works when I ground my test light and touch the red/black wire that's behind the gauge.

I'm willing to bet there's a ground somewhere that is not grounded properly.

I've been going to every ground I see and adding those washers with teeth on them and making sure they are tight. So far I've made my washer squirters, passing lights and a few other things come back to life by going to the grounds I know of and tightening them down.

I'm having the car tuned up later this week. I'll be working on the car with the mechanic and trying to figure out the little that I can't figure out with him. I'm sure within the first hour we'll solve all those mystery wires that go to nowhere and the couple under the dash that simply dont make any sense as to why they are disconnected.

13. Chadbourn Bolles

Chadbourn Bolles Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    Leesville, SC USA
    Full Name:
    Chadbourn Bolles

14. triple-x

triple-x Formula 3

Jun 4, 2009
    Full Name:
    Mr.Platinum
    I didn't know you kept the canister type.

Everyone has the spin on type that's the easy one.

You wouldn't happen to have a fuel filter for a carb'd 5000s laying around?

15. gday

gday Formula 3

Sep 10, 2004
    CA, USA - NSW, AUS
    Full Name:
    Mick
    I have not installed them. This all came up during a bigger discussion I was having regarding my replacement of a clutch slave in my D Roadster.

I would have bet that too.

-mick

16. grngryoutmyway

grngryoutmyway Karting

Nov 4, 2011
    Do you have part numbers on these (preferably manufacturers numbers, not lambo), I might be able to track down a replacement. I know I found the spin on in a few options a while back.

17. triple-x

triple-x Formula 3

Jun 4, 2009
    Full Name:
    Mr.Platinum
    The filters are UFI filters only. The fuel filter is almost impossible to find.

18. jollygood

jollygood Formula 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Full Name:
    jollygood
  19. jollygood

jollygood Formula 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Full Name:
    jollygood
  20. grngryoutmyway

grngryoutmyway Karting

Nov 4, 2011
    #20 grngryoutmyway, Mar 20, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
    Oil is a Baldwin P162, or FIAAM FA4556, or the UFI

It looks like Jolly has a good link for the fuel filter. From what I can find out the Malpassi only has two size regulators, it looks like the larger (high Pressure) 85mm is what is used on the CT? Hopefully someone can confirm. I am getting specs of 48mm diameter x 50mm tall with 8 micron filtering. No inside diameter of the hole, I can probably find a domestic replacement as well if I can get that.

https://www.europaspares.com/product/0/13834/MALPASSI_FILTER_KING___85mm.html

Filters are un marked of course, so Lambo can charge $400 for their box :)

Spin on oil filter Baldwin BT292, Bosch 72116, Napa 1609 (not confirmed)

21. raymondQV

raymondQV F1 Rookie

Aug 22, 2007
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Raymond S.
  22. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    I have a couple of those filters. Are they used on any other car besides Lamborghini?

23. triple-x

triple-x Formula 3

Jun 4, 2009
    Full Name:
    Mr.Platinum
    I'm under the gun here guys.

If ANYONE has a fuel filter for a 5000s (think it's fuel king) PM me.

I have exactly 2 weeks from today to get everything done for lamborghini festival.

I'm doing 90% of the work on my own. I'm working on the car at least 18 hours a day and getting very little sleep.

Right now I'm doing the dash & hopefully this weekend prepping the wing for paint.

Tomorrow the new clutch master and hoses are going in and if there's enough time the carbs are going to be professionally tuned. While I'm at it I'm also going to do a leak down and a bunch of other stuff that hopefully I can do in only 2 days.

The rest of the weekend I have to spend on the gauge pod which is becoming a biatch to fix. I've posted pix on the Countach thread.

I'm also going to make whole new gauge from scratch then quite possibly once perfected make an entire dash out of carbon fiber this summer.

24. grngryoutmyway

grngryoutmyway Karting

Nov 4, 2011
    If you or someone else can get me measurements on it I can probably get you a part number that would be available at a local parts house. I think all I'm lacking is the center hold diameter.

25. triple-x

triple-x Formula 3

Jun 4, 2009
    Full Name:
    Mr.Platinum
    I got an original NOS in the mail today.

If it's not the right one I'll let you guys know on Tuesday.

I'm in need of a clutch master and slave, or if anyone knows anyone that rebuilds originals let me know.

I don't want to order the wrong part and have to wait I only have 12 days to have the car fully complete for the show.