Superformance Hi Spec Brake Kit | FerrariChat

Superformance Hi Spec Brake Kit

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by racespecferrari, Feb 13, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Has anyone here fitted one of these kits.

I have heard good and bad things about Hi Spec kits from various forums I have looked at on the web.

I am only after the discs and bells as I am using Ap Racing calipers front and rear.

I had heard about discs warping.

Any help or experiences would be helpful.

Thanks Pete

2. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I've used Hi Spec brake kits for a while now, granted not on a Ferrari's but I've they have never given any problems and have alwys proved a worthwhile upgrade.

Never had to replace any disc's due to warping.

3. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    Thanks for the input Steve.

I can't use the Hi Spec bells on Superformance as they are only 10 holes. They are suitable up to I think 290mm. I will be using 330mm discs as thats what my calipers are.

Reyland seem to be the cheapest on the Ap spec discs.

They can also sort out the bells too, so will post more details when I know exactly what offset etc.. I will be using.

4. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Hi Guys
    Just saw this thread. My car is currently at HiSpec, they are developing a rear brake kit for Superformace (using my car as a test mule). I spoke to them last week and it will have a the same 310mm discs and 4 pot calipers as the front brake kit, but with slightly different bells and obviously the rear handbrake.

Can't wait to get it back!

Hopefuly getting the fronts done too. Should look cool.

5. racespecferrari

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    It should be interesting how they sort the handbrake. I had originally planned 6 pots on the front and 4 pots on the rear, forgetting to take into account the handbrake.

I decided to just go with 4 pots on the front. With the car being so much lighter over standard, it should make a huge difference with the Ap's

6. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    The rear brake is a 4 pot calliper with slightly smaller pistons than the front to maintain brake balance, the handbrake is a lever using a separate tiny pad, perfect for parking not so great for hand brake turns.

Apparently it looks great, I have gone for red callipers front and back. hopefully I'll get my car back on Saturday.

7. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    #7 Nickt, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    You don't know how eager I've been for an update on this! Thanks for the pictures, get that car started up & hope real hard for a clear sky so you can try it out! In the meantime, you could pull the wheels off and give us some more brake pr0n to look at, please!

I'm eager for driving impressions, try to discern if this has shifted the brake bias. Do you know what size pistons they specified in the front calipers? Do you know if it has the same pad compounds F&R? Does the pedal travel feel any longer, shorter, etc? Do you find yourself having to use more or less pedal travel to get the same amount of decel? (I was going to start making some guesses, but realized I've mostly forgotten how my brake sizing spreadsheet works in the several years since I've used it and, of course, it's not too well documented.)

Aesthetically, your calipers look to have a conventional red paint type finish; the pictures on the Superformance website looked like the calipers had an anodized looking finish. Can you clarify? I see they've put the Superformance name on instead of HiSpec. The only negative there is that it shows the value of developing a logo for your business, haha!

Thanks for being a guinea pig for the world and for any pictures and driving experiences you can share!

9. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    #9 Nickt, Apr 12, 2013
    Hi Don
    I just took the car up the road, it feels completely different when you hit the brakes and it stops! Also a first.. the handbrake works, enough to stall the engine if I pull off.
    here are some hi res pictures, the brakes look cool. I guess on 16" wheels they would look HUGE! Even so they fill my wheels nicely. I thought they would have HiSpec on them, but they have Superformance, I can live with that I guess.
    They certainly feel a lot more positive, how ever I hit them like I was used to do and they locked up, so I need to be more careful.
    http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s334/nickt_v12/DSC_6785.jpg

http://i509.photobucket.com/albums/s334/nickt_v12/DSC_6788.jpg

and a video

http://youtu.be/ZpGlnyNFWcg
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    I was going to ask for a picture of your car next! Nice!

11. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    #11 Nickt, Apr 14, 2013
  12. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Do the Hi Spec calipers have correct road dust/ water seals? and some form of reinforced pad plates?

Only reason I ask is I had Hi Spec on my Caterham and they were full race spec ie no dust/ water seals the pistons seized in the calipers during a few months of non use (for info this was the problem 360CS's had with the Gen 1 carbon brakes) due to water dust getting in between the piston and caliper before the fluid seal

Also the calipers did not have pad plates so the pad backs sat on the anodized aluminium body, eventually breaking through the surface and creating a groove stopping the pad moving correctly, eventually it caused the caliper body to crack due to the forces involved :eek:

13. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    I really don't know. Superformance sell them and I guess the know what they are doing, and they sell a lot of them 9the front kits) looking at the HiSpec motorsport website they seem to OK. My OEM ones seized solid so they didn't fare too well.

14. neil-f

neil-f Karting

Feb 6, 2008
    UK
  15. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    No they don't, and no they don't.

16. stevew

stevew Formula 3

Jun 9, 2002
    uk
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm afraid they do, and yes they do.

17. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Well I tried it without the wheels and it looked silly, and it didn't handle too well. With these wheels on its awesome.

18. neil-f

neil-f Karting

Feb 6, 2008
    UK
    Those wheels would look great on a Corsa but not a Ferrari, they make the car look chavvy!

19. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T

You know what neil, you think what you like.. I'm not going to get into a bun fight with a troll.
    This thread was about brakes not your invalauable opinion of my car.

20. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    Looks a great upgrade, especially for a handbrake that works.

21. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    LOL

22. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    #22 Hans, Aug 10, 2013
    The Superformance / Hispec brakes DO have dust seals. So no issue.

Another thing that's nice to know is that Hispec will engrave the calipers with whatever you ask them for (top of my head) GBP 130. Of course, there is then Superformance to talk to as well, but I am sure that you could order from Hispec directly if you'd so be inclined. Good people to talk to.

For my project car (see www.facebook.com/minottocars), I've had them do these:

23. Hans

Hans F1 Veteran

Feb 17, 2006
    Hilversum, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Hans Teijgeler
    HiSpec Motorsport - The home of Big Brake Kits

With the front brakes being Billet 4 Radial
    And the rears look to be in the "SVA Billet4" corner. But the guys there will be able to tell. Again, very pleasant blokes to deal with. In my order, they forgot a few bolts, which they promptly shipped to me when I pointed this out. No questions asked, no extra shipping fees. They do mounting brackets and brake lines too. In fact, I'd be surprised if what Superformance sells wouldn't come from Hispec directly as a complete package, so telling them you want "The Superformance 308 package, but with custom engraving on the calipers" will most likely just work :)

(Wish I had known that before doing mine. I'd have Dino scripted on them)

24. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    I have had these brakes on my car for a few months now and they are well and truely bedded in. When i took it for an MOT the garage owner commented on how superbly well the brakes wetre fitted and the level of detail. New cables, stainless brake pipes etc..

The car stops like never before. even in the wet i feel i can trust them.. The old brakes were rubbish in the wet and even with my modern tires i had no confidence in them. I used to have EBC green stuff brake pads, they made a difference over the OEM pads but the old brakes seemed to be on or off, even at Goodwood I struggled to keep the brakes in check and lost it on a couple of occasions resulting in a pant staining sideways drift round the lavant hairpin.
    The Hispec brakes seem different, much more progressive and easier to know what they are going to do next :)
    They also look great, the thing to remember is that these brakes have nothing to do with HiSpec, they are made exclusively for Superformance, they can only be ordered through Superformance, and I am not even sure you can change the wording on the calipers. In short they have totally transformed my car!!
    The combination of the wheels and brakes are great, add the Black stalion ECU (the total sum of the bits I have changed) and my car is much easier to drive then when i bought it.. Just need to add electric power steering now ;)

PS, and the handbrake works!!

25. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    I have a full set of big brakes for sale removed from my friends 308 as he went back to OEM set up... Brembo 4 piston radial mount mono blocks + 330 mm cr drilled rotors all round custom h brake calliper also set of new rotors only PM me for more dets.
    Cheers