Luggage on 1970s GT cars | FerrariChat

Luggage on 1970s GT cars

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by thecarnut, Apr 1, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #1 thecarnut, Apr 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    On the Ghibli, Khamsin and Bora a luggage set was available. It appears from photos on the sales brochures that the luggage was the same (or very similar) on the three models.

Does anyone know who made this luggage for Maserati?

I asked Fabio and Cozza and they thought it could have been Schedoni but after some inquiries they were ruled out.

If anyone on MChat has an original set I would appreciate detailed photos and measurements.

Ivan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. MK1044

MK1044 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Ivan, do you intend to have a replica set made? Very nice idea.

3. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Having traveled extensively in the Bora two words. Soft luggage front & rear. Oh I guess that's four ... :D

4. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #4 thecarnut, Apr 1, 2013
    I am exploring the possibility of making a limited run of five sets to help lower the cost. I had a set on a Ghibli spyder some years ago and it would be a nice addition to my current car. I think the hardest thing will be to find locking hardware that matches the original. I am open to suggestions ....

Ivan

5. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #5 thecarnut, Apr 1, 2013
    This is a price list from either 1969 or 1970 which shows that the cost of the luggage was $350; the same as wire wheels and power steering.

The Ghibli spyder was only $700 more than the coupe .... my how things have changed :)

Ivan

6. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    The luggage was less than 2% of the value of the car. Today's Maserati Granturismo is say $130k MSRP, so that would be about $2600 for a luggage set. However, the Ferragamo luggage set for the Granturismo is $8300. I'd love to have one, but not anywhere near that price. So all in all, not too bad of a deal in 1970 for the luggage set.

7. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    Ivan,
    Typically these small runs of accessories were done by companies that are now out of business for many years. To have Schedoni do a set which IMHO be the best, but would run well over $10,000.

Just for the heck of it I will ask Simoni for an approximate cost when I see him in Sept on my (crass commercial announcement) famous Car Guy Tour. Have any of you readers thought about going? only a few seats remaining.
    He, Schedoni, would of course need a license or letter of authorization from Maserati for such a project.

The only hope is to find an original set and have it duped. The challenge will be in as you mentioned finding the hardware. I fear this project is doomed before it begins.
    However being the eternal optimist if you stay at it long enough and are willing to spend the time and $$$ It most certainly can be done.
    The key will be finding the set that a willing owner will let out of his control. Again a very big challenge. In the end you will simply have reproduction luggage.
    Why not just purchase the latest Maserati Luggage available from the factory right now.
    My 2 Lira,
    FGM

8. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Ivan:

I think I sent you this information in an email but will (re)post it here for everyone's benefit.

See page 326 of my book: it shows the luggage of the only khamsin I know to have been supplied with it, AM120352 in Swizerland one of the very best K's in the world, Swiss from new to this day. The invoice of the importer is reproduced on the page however it just says "serie valigie" which means luggage set. It does not identify the supplier.

best regards,

Marc

9. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    Schedoni signed an exclusive agreement with Ferrari in 1977. There aren't evidences they produced car luggages before... i think it' ld be better to ask them: schedoni

10. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I already asked Somine Schedoni; they did not make this luggage.

Ivan

11. MK1044

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Ivan,

I have many higher priorities and would not be one of the purchasers. However, I have some interest in reproducing the metal hardware. I've sent you a pm.

Marc,

Doubtless it runs like a Swiss clock. ;)

Carmine

12. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #12 thecarnut, Apr 16, 2013
  13. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    That Khamsin looks both new and non standard in the interior department.

Are you certain these actual original luggage?

14. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #14 thecarnut, Apr 16, 2013
    This is an unused 2 piece set from a Ghibli SS. Notice that it has no lock, just a buckle.

My Ghibli spyder also had two pieces. I assumed the third piece had been lost since the brochures always show three pieces but perhaps the car left the factory with just two pieces. The two pieces would fill the spyder's trunk.

If anyone else has an original luggage set I would sure like to see photos.

Photos courtesy of the Ghibli's owner.

Ivan

15. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    Positive. Read page 326 of Marc's book :)

Ivan

16. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Bob,

yes 352 is one of two cars with this two color tan/red interior which actually works very well, really one of the very best K's ou there I was sorry he could not come to Khamsin Quaranta last year as it would have been a candidate for best of show though we had an excellent winner, AM120.234 that is equally worthy.

My book shows the actual invoice for the car with the luggage referenced on it unfortunately it only says serie valigie i.e. luggage set without further details.
    Cozza did confirm that that was the original set but it just did not get ordered by people. As I mentioned before this is the only K I know which came with it though I hope there were more.

Best regards,

Marc

17. jonack

jonack Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2007
    Berkeley, California
    Full Name:
    J. Clark
    pardon me - but where did the back seat of this Khamsin go? I'd like to see further pics of this interior...are those available?

18. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    I think this question should be posted in the Khamsin thread. It does appear to be an interesting Khamsin.

Ivan

19. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Back seat in that Khamsin is there, nothing modified but it does have the trunk shade roll.

Bear in mind also that that backseat is symbolical and strictly reserved 3 year olds or legless dwarves being punished.

MS

20. MK1044

Nov 6, 2011
    NYC USA
    Full Name:
    Carmine
    Well, it seems that among the few luggage sets that were sold new with the cars, there were differences between the sets. Possibly the luggage sets were ordered in small runs from small leather working shops, and each run might be slightly different from every other run. Imagine that. For Maserati. :rolleyes:

Is there any identifying info on any of the known factory supplied sets? Can some deduction be made from the leather or the hardware?

21. staatsof

Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Nah, the dwarves fit in the luggage ... ;)

22. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
  23. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    #23 thecarnut, Apr 24, 2013
    This is the set that was sold with the green Ghibli SS spyder that Kidston owned (aka: the mucho money spyder).

Notice that it differs significantly from all the other luggage sets. Are these original?

I recall reading that the car left the factory with the luggage but perhaps the originals were lost and these are replacements.

Ivan

hyenahf likes this.
  24. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Hi Ivan,

Just to be clear Simon K never actually owned that pistacchio colored Ghibli spyder, he brokered it for a client who bought two Khamsins after selling it:)

It would fit SK's MO to have luggage made during a restoration to have the ideal car to market when finished if it was he who supervised the job so I would not be surprised.

best regards from Fort Lauderdale,

Marc

25. OFFtrack

OFFtrack Karting

Jan 4, 2013
    Berlin
    Full Name:
    Dirk R.
    #25 OFFtrack, Apr 28, 2013