275 GTB/4 Day One | Page 9 | FerrariChat

275 GTB/4 Day One

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 275GTBSaran, May 4, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. doppioexpresso

doppioexpresso Karting

Mar 29, 2010
    Zürich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Marc
    I guess the roundlets don't look wrong on a red car. But the elegant blue is just not "race" but much more the essential Grand Tourismo look.

Edmond... do you remember the semi-sticky plastic bits you put on the windows for x-mas? I am sure we could order roundlets out of that product for you to test on your car. If you like it you just leave them on, if you do not like them you just take them away without doing harm to your car.

statisch haftende Folie | Ihr Folien-Spezialist in der Schweiz für sämtliche Glasbeschichtungen rund um Ihr Gebäude - Folien Express

2. doppioexpresso

doppioexpresso Karting

Mar 29, 2010
    Zürich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Marc
    Why not. My wife drives all of my cars and in a spirited manner as well. I can hardly think of anything sexier than her and her best friend driving off to to a shopingtrip in the 550.
    A couple of weeks ago she even took my BMW for a couple of laps on the mighty Nürburgring ;-)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVVtb0mnE4I]Katharina überholt Ferrari auf der nordschleife :) - YouTube[/ame]

Look what happens at 0:45, and check out her face at 3:00

Off topic I know... sorry

3. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Roundels without numbers strike me as odd, particularly on a car that was never used on the track. Roundels were used on race cars to make the numbers more visible to timing and scoring and track marshals. I'm with Marcel on this one, but certainly to each his own...

4. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I also strongly prefer it without the roundels. They look more appropriate on red/black (though I still strongly prefer without), but much less so on blue/beige. That being said, the only person you need to satisfy is yourself.

5. 275GTBSaran

275GTBSaran Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Marc I agree fully - a girl who knows how to drive well is perhaps the most sexy thing of all- even more sexy than a girl who plays tennis well or rides a bicycle. I also have to say in all fairness- your wife is sexy even if she does not drive well - please don't take take offense my friend ;)

6. 275GTBSaran

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    The 275 GTB was used on the track (alright it was a GTB/C).
    I think the roundels suit the 275 GTB so well. I am still not sure I am with the majority on this one....

7. 275GTBSaran

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    #207 275GTBSaran, May 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ok- I am slowly gaining confidence about the color. Today I went to re-visit the car to see it in a outside garage with no windows. Natural light went in and gave the car a completely different colour. See for yours self. Alright it was not sunny which makes a difference but rather grey overcast. I am slowly getting used to the colour. But only slowly. I think the beige interior complete the car....

Thank you for all your comments- each one of them I read and took to heart.
    Have a great weekend Edmond
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

-CD- likes this.
  8. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    #208 BIRA, May 10, 2013
    if the car was raced in period, it is fine to reproduce decals, numbers, adds, roundels. But if the car was not raced and never had this livery, this is just pretense and a such such, should be avoided at all costs..
    Still one has to chose the reference race,,,for example in the case of the 375MM coming at auction at Villa d"Este i am not sure i would have brought it back to Le Mans configuration if the changes were made in period [for Carrera Panamericana].But not sure about this.

In the case of my Stratos, one previous owner painted it Alitalia colors with Munari's name on the door. When it was restored, it was returned to its red with the name of the driver on the bonnet. Less impressive chap, but real period display.

In the case of the cars below [copyright Ferrari Yearbook 1967] i owned one of those and would have brought it back to this if kept. But it returned to its original 1967 owner...

9. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Or if you park in lots full of GTBs and need to ID yours easily.

10. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    With it's original color tan leather seats I'm confident it will be MY favorite 275GTB/4, with the possible exception of Miles Davis's old car just because...

11. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Hi Edmond,
    I see your point in the photo. If I may, that is indeed, 'a horse of a different color' both literally and figuratively.
    The distinction for me is that the roundels are on a red car.
    In my hometown there was a really lovely 4-cam owned by a dentist which was just incredible- a very well cared for driver in an original dark gray/anthracite (don't know the Ferrari color name for it). Incredibly beautiful. Perhaps because of a blunt trauma to the head or maybe he was just a jackass- the owner had it restored in red. Terrible.
    I remember very well the cover of Cavallino #33 and the point being made that 4-cams look their best in the metallic range of colors they came in outside the spectrum of one of the basic reds. The body is such incredible artistry that the shapes can be lost in the solid bright red- or even the white of a roundel for that matter.
    You have a wonderful car and I think you'll fall in love with the paint. Enjoy!
    Best,
    Dave

12. Tinbender

Tinbender Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Raleigh,Lake Lure,NC
    Full Name:
    Terry W. Phillips
    Great color. What is the post that is sticking up on the rear between the rear glass and the trunk lid? It looks like where a wiper for the rear window would hook up.

13. 275GTBSaran

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    @ Dave: thank you for the compliments. Your right red is a very different colour. I agree with you in regards to the dentist!

@ John B: Your comments are music in my ears. I appreciate them- thank you.

@ Tinbender: I am not sure what you mean exactly?

14. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    #214 readplays, May 11, 2013
    Last edited: May 11, 2013
    Hi Terry,
    Not sure if this is what you're referring to, but the hinges for the trunk/boot on a 4-cam are external. The main contrasting part to the blue paint, front and center in the photo, is the right hand side trunk hinge.
    Best,
    Dave

EDIT- Anything else beyond the rear window trim surround or left trunk hinge, I would put down to reflections in the photo. Hope this helps.

15. 275GTBSaran

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    I have another question for all who have been following this thread. Something else has been bothering me since day one but I have not dealt with it untill now. Way on the front nose there is a little add on piece which is meant for the license plate. I find that piece annoying and I find it disturbs the front silhouette of the car. Especially when there is no license plate to cover it. And this is often as we in Switzerland have 'wechsel nummernschilder' which means we can use two cars for one license plate (now I bet many of you are jealous) ;)

What do you recommend I do? John Maston Taylor in Cavallino Nr 164 seems to have built a piece of metal underneath that holds the license plate. I wish license plates where not necessary in front! Just like in the US I think?

Recommendations highly appreciated! E

16. FXEFFECTS

FXEFFECTS Karting

Jan 5, 2009
    #216 FXEFFECTS, May 11, 2013
    Here is mine. Similar solution to the Cavallino Nr 164 car.

17. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    rosso corsa?

nice colour ;)

18. FXEFFECTS

FXEFFECTS Karting

Jan 5, 2009
    #218 FXEFFECTS, May 11, 2013
    Last edited: May 11, 2013
    Rossa Mugello

19. 275GTBSaran

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Stunning colour. Was the outside fuel cap factory original?
    Btw your system with the license plate is like mine now- it is exactly what I don't like. Look at the Taylor blue /orange 275 from Cavallino 164- that is the system I think is better.

20. FXEFFECTS

FXEFFECTS Karting

Jan 5, 2009
    Yes one of only three steel bodied cars with original outside fuel filler.

21. FXEFFECTS

FXEFFECTS Karting

Jan 5, 2009
    By the way i love the colour of your car, i would have had the interior in dark red.
    Seen a few cars in light blue/red and its one of my favourite combinations.

22. 275GTBSaran

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    I personally think dark red would be nice with grigio fumo (smoke grey) or grigio mahmood, two great colors for the 275.

23. Tinbender

Tinbender Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 13, 2004
    Raleigh,Lake Lure,NC
    Full Name:
    Terry W. Phillips
    Look at the very first post in this thread. There is a post sticking up on the right side rear in between the upper edge of the trunk lid and the lower edge of the rear window. This post is not there in the after painting pictures.

24. 275GTBSaran

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    That was the antennae which a previous owner must of mounted at some point in the 1970/1980s. I got rid of it as it disturbed me and was not original...

25. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    This car turned out to be magnificent Edmond. Congratulations!

I think the roundels would loook great, and don't forget the side exhaust pipes :D

Gr. Martin