Pirelli to change tyres from the canadian G.P | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Pirelli to change tyres from the canadian G.P

Discussion in 'F1' started by nerofer, May 14, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Correctomundo IMO.

2. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I still don't get how they can do it without approval. From Pitpass;

However, here's the highlights of todays release;

Certainly reads that they've made a unilateral decision!.....

Cheers,
    Ian
    pitpass - Pirelli to introduce changes in Canada
    pitpass - Pirelli issues a statement

3. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Bah that's just part of one's legacy haha

4. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Agree. To re-shuffle the deck at this point after cars were designed specifically to suit the tires is rubbish. Get rid of the tire delamination issues- definitely- but you can't just change everything because Dieter went ballistic to the media. Mercedes, also, needs to figure out how to balance out their strategy between qualifying fast and racing fast. You can't change the entire layout to suit one or two teams on the grid.

Bernie needs to speak up instead of allowing Pirelli to be the scapegoat in all of this. Honestly, Merc and RBR have really only had ONE bad race, but I'm certain their message to the boss is 'our cars are faster than the others on the grid, but the stupid tire initiative is holding us up'.

My answer would be: "then design a car that goes easier on the tires like everyone else had to'.

5. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    *Exactly*. Couldn't agree more!

Seems Pirelli were caught out by the additional speed of this years cars - Around 3 seconds per lap if Hembery is to be believed. However, that still doesn't mitigate changing mid-season IMO. It is what it is. Deal with it.

Cheers,
    Ian

6. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    THIS...

That is all that should happen. Any other changes that penalize teams like Lotus for their design based on conserving the tires is just b.s. It would reward Merc and RBR for designing a car simply to be fast around the circuit without considering the tires by making the tires a non-issue. I mean, Lotus has picked up the 3 secs per lap also, but they aren't whining about the tires.

7. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    Let's not blow this up more than it needs to. Changing back to the 2012 tire chassis will not change much for any team other than they will most likely be allowed to run a slightly lower ride height as the 2012 tires did not deflect as much. Not world changing stuff. I think what the 2013 tire chassis doing specifically is overheating due to deflection and the compound placed on the tire cannot flex well with the tire. Making a 2012 spec tire with 2013 spec compound could work well. I just hate seeing 4 stop races, it's just silly as these cars seem to behave very differently based on fuel load and tire combo, this makes the racing very much artificial. Fast here and now, slow later, medium competitive after that, sucks IMO

8. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    That's just the thing, everyone designs their cars to try and be easy on tires. Teams simply have no idea if it will work out until they actually test the things, and then of course it's too late. Pirelli tires are some sort of Italian revenge haha. It's a total gamble with the top teams how their car will perform on these tires.

9. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Last week was the first time we've had that since 2010, and then only once.....

Always been that way. Do a better job than me, you win. I do a better job, I win.

Changing mid-season is just plain wrong IMO. I can't help thinking you'd be howling if Merc had any race pace..... ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

10. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I'm not expecting the order to change much as I believe changing to the older chassis may help Merc's race pace but I believe will harm their qualy pace not to mention Red Bull will go back to dominating every race. It's just sad watching tires literally fall apart and decompose on the track and that aspect of it needs to stop. 2013 tires have made qualifying even more pointless than 2012 hasn't it.

That's the thing, 'you do a better job than me, you win' type thinking is completely relative with these tires lol. A team could design a car to be the most amazing advanced machine on the planet but if the tires hate the car then it will not win. That is not engineering OR racing, that's gambling. I can picture old man Ferrari going off on some loose cannon-type tangent about tires

11. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Weasel words.

We made them too fast?
    Four stops is unprecedented in OUR history?

Can't blaming them for spinning but it doesn't mean we have to swallow.

12. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Indeed. But, if it doesn't work with the tires it simply isn't "the most amazing advanced machine on the planet" IMO - It would be just another failed attempt...... Of which we've seen many over the years of course.

It is what it is and I firmly believe changing now is wrong.

I'm amazed that Fauxtus (& Ferrari?) aren't howling yet. Seems Stefano said "**** it, let 'em go" last time out and it paid off - What's wrong with that?

Cheers,
    Ian

13. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    They just ran out of band-aids. You can only rejigger so often before the law of diminishing returns bites ya.

The question of whose ox gets gored this week misses the point. While one team may get a temporary handle on the tire situation eventually the spec gets changed "to maintain interest" and they're screwed with some other team being benefited.

14. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I can only imagine how uncomfortable everyone in F1 is this week with so much of their dirty laundry being aired. The last thing anyone there wants is more of the same.

I also suspect that reverting (not that that's what's going to happen) to 012 spec tires will simply turn the competitive balance on its head.

15. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    *Eventually* is the key word there IMO - Next season, OK.

Mid season is just wrong and AFAIK is simply not allowed without unanimous approval. [Or Pirelli saying "**** it, this is what we're gonna give you. Take it or leave it!"

Which it appears they're doing.......

Cheers,
    Ian

16. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

I believe they will benefit from it more than anyone really. Both are already so good on tires that I believe it will accentuate their current excellent performances. Just my assessment. Other teams are looking for a fix, and I don't think tires alone will fix more than half the problem for them.

17. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Good for them for growing a pair.

I suspect that the delamination issue bothers them a lot more than the competitive issues do and is the main motivation behind the redesign.

18. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Unless Fauxtus is running closer to their maximum now and don't have the head room to exploit.

19. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I don't think so. Lotus was able to move up the food chain specifically because the car is so good on its tires. It's not necessarily as fast as Red Bull, Ferrari (or Mercedes), just very consistent on its tires. I don't think Ferrari will necessarily be pushed backwards on the grid, but it will give more of an advantage to RBR.

I think Mercedes and McLaren are the teams that will benefit the most from any changes. They simply have not been able to race on Sundays, although I still wonder what would happen if they just took the same disposition as Domenicali and just went for it versus conserving tires. (I'd have to assume they've considered that but it still looked like a bad situation). Merc still will benefit more than McLaren though...they already have the speed just need the durability.

OTOH, I guess it is possible that maybe Lotus can go with a 1-stop race versus a 2-stopper and still maintain their advantage?

I guess we'll see starting with Canada. However, Pirelli seem convinced that RBR will be the clear winner with the changes.

20. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Yep. And it now seems they're gonna get hosed for doing a better job than the others :(

+1 *That's* what's pissing me off about this whole mess!

Merc & the Cans - Yes.
    Mclaren - Their troubles appear to be much deeper than some dodgy tires! [And long may that continue IMO ;) ]

Good point. As you say, we'll see soon.

"This is why we watch."........ ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

21. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

Maybe, but I dunno - Hembery remains adamant that any delams were the result of "cuts". He's admitted it looks ugly on the TV but also that there's no "danger" and in fact the tires integrity is maintained thus allowing a return to the pits for replacements rather than an instant retirement.

As you said, spin, but as your Lord Chief Executioner I'd bar any changes at this stage. ;)

Cheers,
    Ian

22. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Hey as long as red Bull are happy!

23. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    #48 TifosiUSA, May 14, 2013
    Last edited: May 14, 2013
    He doesn't like one guy dominating like MS did (title wrapped up early) but he loves close title fights with Vettel coming out on top, just like 2010 and 2012. Vettel is his little pet, that much is clear

You really don't think Bernie was a driving force behind the 2005 tire rules? Lol c'mon.

24. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Of course they do.

Quite a coincidence that they finally stand up right after the delams occur. I think that the legal Dept stepped in overruling the boys in advertising (or whatever clowns have been behind their F1 misadventure).

I believe that's Lord High Executioner by the way.
    I hope that you've got a little list.
    ;)

25. Ferraripilot

Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!

this.