Bugatti Aerolithe | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Bugatti Aerolithe

Discussion in 'Bugatti' started by El Wayne, Sep 6, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Did Pur Sang do the work in Argentina? As a recreation...what did they use for the engine?

2. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    HEAVENS! Go stand in the corner with your dunce hat on!!!!

All work done in Canada by Guild Classic Cars. Engine and chassis are original T57.
    Go back to post #1 and start there! And don't show your face around here until!! ;-)

3. Gmaccormack

Gmaccormack Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2010
  4. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    car won the show award, which it deserves, but I also read that the owner RL had some issue with denied entry from last or prior year?

5. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    #55 JeremyJon, May 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Awesome. Now that is a Hotrod!
    Pete

7. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I'm confused. So RL owns a real one and yet this replica was built ... why if there is indeed a real one?
    Pete

8. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    it's a replica? I can understand him doing it if the real one is just too valuable to take out anywhere ....is that why they refused him before to attend, due to being a replica of his real one?

9. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    No no, you have miss understood me.

I assume RL's is real, but then why was the car in this thread built. I thought it was because all original ones had been lost.
    Pete

10. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    Ah, okay

RLs is an Atlantic, and the above recreation an Aerolithe

11. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    Pete,
    The RL Atlantic is real as are, the ex-Peter Williamson car in the Mullin Museum in CA, and reputedly a third in France (or) Spain(?)

The Aerolithe was a one-off. Many similarities to the Atlantics, but it's own car. The Guild of Automotive Restorers undertook its recreation at the behest of a customer interested in recreating a lost icon, as I understand it.
    Best,
    Dave

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Heck I cannot tell the difference between an Atlantic and an Aerolithe ... must be real subtle :).
    Pete

13. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    true, but they do differ in many ways, body styling is as you say very similar at first glance
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/141261039-post22.html

14. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
  15. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    correct, the Atlantic can be considered the production model of the Aerolithe show concept car

16. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    #66 JeremyJon, May 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Nice dog.

Any idea what the wrinkling on the door top is?

18. dbw

dbw Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2005
    palo alto ca
    Full Name:
    dave
    louvers i think.....all sorts of surface changes were made to these cars over the years...if you are really good you can name the car and the approx date photographed.

19. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Three sets of three. Louvers likely.

20. JeremyJon

JeremyJon F1 Veteran

Jul 28, 2010
    Calgary, Canada
    I like period photos, the context with the architecture there is great!

21. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    As far as I am aware they made 14 Atlantics ... I guess 2 makes a production model ;)

Pete

22. AlexGR

AlexGR Rookie

Oct 31, 2011
    RL car is real (#57591) but it is very different from the car delivered in 1938 as he had the car restored from the ground up. It is believed that the 2nd Atlantic might be hidden in France, who knows...

23. Aero coupe

Aero coupe Rookie

Jan 27, 2013
    Hey guys,

I thought i might be able to answer some questions from above. There was one Aerolithe, crafted in 1935 and displayed for the first time at the Paris Salon in early October of the same year.
    There were four Atlantics that were ever made according to factory records. The first was 57374 which was heavily modified mid-way through its life having the rear windows expanded and the interior gutted and replaced. It underwent a restoration done by High Mountain Classics and now resides in the Mullin Automotive Museum. The second was 57453 which was last seen in 1939 on a shipping manifest from Molsheim to Bordeaux. It has been missing ever since.
    The third Atlantic pictured above is 57473 which had it's coachwork changed early in its life and was struck by a train in the early 50's. It sat for nearly 30 years as evidence until it was release and partially restored with what remained of it. It has since gone through a major restoration done by Paul Russel and although it has undergone scrutiny for whether it actually qualifies as an original after having so much replaced, it is still a beautiful car.

The 4th and final Atlantic is Ralph Laurens chassis 57591. It was restored by Paul Russel in the early 90's and won best of show after its restoration was completed. It has since toured and won many awards. Ralph Laurens is considered the most original of the survivors however it did not go without suffering over the years prior to its restoration. It too had its upholstery recovered and it was painted in a different shade of blue than originally.

The original design of the Atlantics called for there to be no louvers in the vehicle. It was found out quite quickly by the customers that they get very, very hot. Additional air flow was requested by each of the four customers.
    They originally did not come with a supercharger either, but it was not uncommon for the Bugatti factory to have the cars come back and have these installed after the fact.

Hope this helps explain a bit more of the background to the Aerolithe and Antlantics.

24. ScuderiaWithStickPlease

ScuderiaWithStickPlease F1 World Champ

Dec 17, 2007
    NY Metro
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTI5seuGi20&feature=c4-overview&list=UUQMELFlXQL38KPm8kM-4Adg]1935 Bugatti Aerolithe Coupe - Jay Leno's Garage - YouTube[/ame]