Sn of this 250 TR ? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Sn of this 250 TR ?

Discussion in 'Recreations & Non-Period Rebodies' started by amenasce, Oct 21, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    #51 PSk, Jun 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
    There is no need for the owner of a real GTO or TR to build a replica to drive around. Cars of that value simply can't be destroyed. Even if just a tiny bit of the chassis was left it would be worth rebuilding.

Boxerman, your view is narrow minded and also elitist. I used to race cars, for 9 years in fact, have never owned a Ferrari and likely never will. And so what? I'm rebuild a Alfa 1750 GTV and it will be 100% standard because I want to experience that older car feeling/fun. Also once you start modifying a car they all become the same to drive. Yawn.

Anyway your GT40 replica is great but completely different to the destruction of old rare Ferraris that were simply sacrificed to make somebody a profit somewhere. Yes occasionally enthusiasts are involved but real enthusiasts don't take a grinder to an original old Ferrari and hack the body off. And please don't come back with the old car had been crashed view as that is bogus, only a small number of cases involved damaged cars.

Most Ferrari replicas built on original cars are done because of profits, because the market for GTEs is weak. Just wrong.

If these guys really just wanted a GTO for the driving experience they would build one from scratch as you have shown us where to get the parts from, but no the "underneath is a real Ferrari chassis" confuses the issue enough for some to get over the monumental fnck up and go to sleep at night, and yeah it's registered as a real Ferrari ...

Many cars are awesome fun to drive. You don't need a GTO. Heck my $40k club race car was a rocket and with 50 50 weight distribution, awesome race car ... sure build a replica if you want to, but use common or modern components, or simply get over yourself and buy a car in your budget and go and have fun. A Mazda Miata is making millions smile for example ... some are decent little race cars too.
    Pete

2. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #52 boxerman, Jun 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2013
    The owners of real gtos have recreations because value is more than just a claim to provenance, each time are car is wrecked or a original motor blown the value changes.

Funny you call me elitist, I am all for accepting recreations, elitist are against them, no matter what, whther licensed or built from all new parts. My comment is that those most against recreating ferrais dont own them so their view may be more of a valu $$$ whereas if you are into driving older ones then you may see value more in terms of experience than $$$,

if you thin that i advocate only ferraris, you are wrong. its just that in certain eras they were considered the ultimate car as opposed to now when they are an ultimate status symbol for most. the joy of a ferrari to me is the motor and shape. i love alfas too, but they have also gotten ridiculously expensive, although i suppose high value means more cars restored and saved

.I do absolutley agree that old cars should not be chopped, yet another reason to sanction recreations. To have sanctioned recreation an original car cannot be chopped to build it. A car built off a chop would be ostracized, removing the profit motive to chop as sanctioned recreations would be accepted for events others not.

It seems some people might accept recreations but not of ferraris, as these are somehow holy objects. If you drive one, you realize its just a car, a great car true, but a car an object revered for its go and looks. It seems to me non ferrarinowners are more obsessed with purity and keeping cars limited, than owners who just want to experience more,

Btw love the 1750, my mother had one when I was growing up and I spent most of my childhood in the back or passenger seat. Alias have a lightness of fell that ferraris lack. They are their own baby. How to find a great one.

Now if someone made a 50's giulia recreation, with the sweet 1750 motor and no bumpers I know I would be a buyer. So much better than molesting a survivor. I am also a big GTv 6 fan especially the South African 3.0 spec. And lets not forget il monstero the zagato thing from the late 80's as collectible a classic as any car produced.

Now if someone tray zagato themselves took some rusted out Alfa 75 bits made a few more monstero.s with say 24v 3.0 164 motors we would rejoice. So lets not get too hung up on a few more older ferraris being recreated. True all the rusty bits are restored to valuable rare cars, so we don't want to allow chops.

But seriously porche people build RSI lightweights from 964 shells and new build motors, he'll look at a singer 911, porche people revere them. There is no shame in recreating or even modifying as long as you are not permenantly deleting a rare but otherwise lesser old build.

Sometimes it seems that those without a Ferrari or an older one don't want recreations so the greats are just unobtainable for pretty much everybody, even those of some means. You know if I can't get it no one should be able too. Those that have the old and drive them greats say nothing about recreations, they know how much fun these designs are. Look at the Leno article posted in the replicas why bother thread.

Btw he has real Grand Prix bug attics and an Argentinian pur sang, he thinks recreations are great, that these car designs are for driving and enjoying, the key is not only in the shape but also authentic design mechanicals so the essence of the thing is recreated. I will post the link later,

3. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    We completely agree here.

BTW: while I am a Ferrari fan, I'm an Alfisti first and foremost, and well and truly realise they are just pieces of metal and rubber that happen to go well together. I've also blown many away with my little club car (in proper races, not just tracking).

BUT no Ferrari enthusiast should cut up an old car to make what they want, they should instead enjoy what they have, heck even modify it a bit to suit their tastes but no need to go the replica way. Not cool.

Interesting view, I'll have to think about this more.

One day the number of Porsche guys that are into their history will grow and Singer 911's will be frowned upon IMO. Most 911 owners I know though are all about racing them, but those Singer Porsches would not be eligible for any series I know ... so again what is the point? Just buy a more modern Porsche or increase the compression ratio and change the cams on your 911 and go faster. Heck there are heaps of parts available for those things, no need to ram a newer series motor in them.
    Pete

4. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #54 boxerman, Jun 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
    There is some society of older modified older porche owners on the west coast, really hard to get into and the singer is the ultimate version of this. To me a singer is an old 911 reimagined for pruity of drive without compromise.

True one day there willbe too few early 70's 911's left, that ks already happening now. A singer uses the much later 964, a car prodiced in some numbers and astheticaly challenged in stock form.

WE agree, no cutting of cars allowed. What enthusiast would do this. however, 30 years ago there were a number of cars well well past being restorable, sitting in junk heaps. No one laments the pieces of a rusted scrapped out MK2 Jag being used ina proteus. When decent or restorable cars start being chopped, that is another story entirely, and I agree any number of GTo's were built from decent cars.

I wonder what the condition of the DB4's that Aston used in the sanction 2 zagatos was.

How about Jim poulling apart a perfectly good enzo to make his P3/4. How about the 60's ferrari can am car being butchered to turn it into a p3. Circumstances times and views change as some models get rarer. Lots of inetresting grey areas. Recreations solves this, allows old racers to survive unmolested and crashed for posterity.

BUt for sure we can agree, that there is no eunning 250 series ferrrari that at this point can or should be chopped.

Remember that 60's inspired ferrari built of a 400 I. Original design, kinda like a a cross between a 500 superfast and a swb build on a shortened 400 chassis. The 400 was long long gone a rusting hulk in scrapyard, so in a way it was otherwise saved. Grey areas.

AutoTraderClassics.com - Article Jay Leno's Column: The Collector

In my case, some decry my putting modern rubber on my boxer. But some cars had serious flaws which for driving enjoyment are easily correted. Like putting workable ignition in a old brit car. At some poinmt the nature of the machine is changed. In the case of the boxer, it has really good suspension compromised by trx tires enzo isnsisted on because prtals could not drive mid engined cars, yet the TRXakes it far more tricky and ruins the dynamics.

Now I am going to take it firther and put a 512M motor I just aquired into the car. This si the ultimate version of athe flat 12, what a boxer would be if ferrri had kept on developing it as Lambo did the Ct. Now everything I do is essentialy a componant swap and tnd can be swapped back during servivice. A boxer has an Engine out event every 5 or so years for cam belt changes, so putting the orig motor and wheels back for the concors crowd is really easy, plus I preserve the original motor and fragile tranny.

One big reason I do all this is because ferari does not make any modern car i really want to drive on my weekend jauts. In fact the last modern that I really liked was the late GT3. To me moderns no matter how accomplished or fast are really blanded out and anodyne at any type of sane or insane road speeds. So I build my own version of a boxer, with BBlm performance and still useable on the road. But its alleasily correctable back to stock.

Now I know the car I really want is a 288 always have. And if it were a 300k car i would sell some assets amybe even the boxer to get one. But now they are over $1 mill, and collected not driven hard. So if someone made a nut and bolt copy. Not a cut 308 with fiberglass but a proper 288 for 300k I would be first in line, and you can call it a piero, I dont need a horsey on mine to know what it is behind the wheel.

5. biz5300

biz5300 Formula Junior

Oct 27, 2007
    Germany
    Full Name:
    n h
    Hi Joe, Can you PM me please?

6. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    FYI Joe is not his real name.......