Patek Purchase in Geneva | FerrariChat

Patek Purchase in Geneva

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by rsflv, Jun 18, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rsflv

rsflv Karting

Oct 28, 2012
    RanchoSantaFe/Vegas
    I'm thinking of buying one of the Patek Grand Complications watches and have a relative who will be traveling to Geneva this summer. Does anyone have an idea if costs are lower there? Any suggested stores? Any idea of the discount I can get in the US? Thank you.

2. gougoul

gougoul Formula 3

Nov 25, 2004
    Geneva, Switzerland
    not sure you can get a great discount on them in GVA.
    Official store is *very* nice though...

3. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    Not cheaper was my experience last January. Actually was higher than the US prices.

4. netman

netman Formula 3

Jun 17, 2008
    OC SoCal
    I have found Euro prices in general to be greater than US. Was going to purchase a Rolex 116509 in Geneva. Searched the Internet and found an AD in the US to be much cheaper. Also made a cash deal for the extra benefit.

5. drgek

drgek Formula 3

Jun 21, 2004
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Bought a Nautilus Annual Calendar in steel at Gubelin in St. Moritz last year after realizing that net of VAT I saved about 7K over US prices.

6. wkumari

wkumari Karting

Jul 15, 2011
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Warren
    I was all excited on my first Geneva trip -- had visions of coming home with a bunch of new toys. Unfortunately all the prices I found were much higher than US prices, even taking the VAT into account.

Actually found Geneva to be dangerous -- way way too many manufactures / boutiques around the lake, all filled with watches that I hadn't realized I could not live without.

Now I make sure to stay far away from the windows when visiting...

7. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    I shop watches on most overseas trips and nearly always find prices (even if getting a discount and even with no VAT) to be higher than what one can get in the US. One exception was back in early 2000's when the USD was near 2 aussie dollars...got an omega for a good price at WoW near the four seasons. Last month I was after an IWC in several places in Europe, but found prices too high. Can get from Tourneau for less (especially when they are in a dealing mood).

8. rsflv

rsflv Karting

Oct 28, 2012
    RanchoSantaFe/Vegas
    Thanks for all of your feedback. I'll shop the US.

9. Patriot

Patriot Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    Which Patek Grand Complication are you thinking of getting? Just curious which one has your interest.

10. jacinto jardine

jacinto jardine Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2011
    australia
    Full Name:
    Fly 458
    During SIHH week last year I visited the Official Rolex store in Geneva and also one of the famous Burcheron salons with the view of purchasing a new Deep Sea. I managed to save quite a bit and was way more cheaper than the AD's in Sydney and Singapore could ever offer.
    If you have a relative or are heading to Switzerland it is worth the effort.

Besides, there is something special about buying a classic from its birthplace.

11. rsflv

rsflv Karting

Oct 28, 2012
    RanchoSantaFe/Vegas
    Most likely the 5159 in rose gold. I am also interested in the 5270, but understand that it is more difficult to obtain.

12. damian in nj

damian in nj Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
    Unless you have bought a few other Pateks in the past it's unlikely you'll get one walking in cold to any authorized dealer, here or Europe.

13. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Has anyone looked into getting an older Patek (e.g. a small pocket watch) and having it recased by Patek?

Regards,

Art S.

14. damian in nj

Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
    I owned a caliber 2526 movement with an enamel dial, and they declined to make me a new case for it years ago, if that's any help.

15. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Did you have a case made elsewhere?

16. damian in nj

Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
    Nope, sold it and made a nice bit of $ because of the enamel dial.

17. San Giorgio

San Giorgio Rookie

May 31, 2013
    Fermo, Italia
    Full Name:
    Daniele
    If you're going to purchase a Patek complication, go to the major Patek website and ask where the best prices can be obtained. It's www watchprosite dot com I used to get the very best prices in Italy... If you speak Italian well, you can usually bargain for a 10-15% "discount". The jewelry store will also give you a document allowing you be be exonerated from the 21% IVA tax. When you leave the country, you present the document to customs. I'll attempt to add a link.

If you want to see the best assortment of Pateks in Italy, it would be at Orologeria Pisa on Via Montenapoleone in Milano. Excellent shopping on this street too!

Lastly, if you want something much better than a Patek, look into Philippe DUFOUR. Like any important purchase, do take your time to decide what you really want.

18. San Giorgio

San Giorgio Rookie

May 31, 2013
    Fermo, Italia
    Full Name:
    Daniele
    #18 San Giorgio, Jul 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  19. damian in nj

Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
    'Much better than a Patek' is a silly comment, and I'm a Dufour fan.

20. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    As I understand it one doesn't "just go purchase a Dufour."

21. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    GVA Patek Philippe store is nothing special. Some nice watches, for sure, but the store is very ordinary. Service is nice, unless a baller or rich Arab strolls in. Then you will be left alone while everyone scrambles to kiss their butt.

You pay the VAT and then you have to apply for a refund. You won't get this refund unless you call again and again.

Best prices are in the US.

22. San Giorgio

San Giorgio Rookie

May 31, 2013
    Fermo, Italia
    Full Name:
    Daniele
    Better in that I prefer the esclusivity of a Dufour; their production is in tens of watches yearly, while Patek is estimated (T. Stern interviews) to produce between 40,000 - 50,000 a year. You'll be on a long waiting list for a Dufour nowadays...

Comparing a Calatrava to a Simplicity, the closer you look, the better it looks with the Dufour. Philippe Dufour, Lange, Kari Voutilainen, and Roger Smith and are all known for their very high level of finish. Older Patek's had better movement finishing than they do now.

They're all different, and better is subjective too, as what's better, a Ferrari, Maybach, Porsche, or Pagani?

23. damian in nj

Silver Subscribed

Aug 24, 2009
    Last I checked, the top ten auction prices for wristwatches all were Patek. Dufour is a genius, and I love the finish on his watches, but comparing any boutique level watchmaker to Patek is futile. I've always said 'Patek for dress, Rolex for sport, and anything else is just having fun.'

24. San Giorgio

San Giorgio Rookie

May 31, 2013
    Fermo, Italia
    Full Name:
    Daniele
    For investment value, Patek and Rolex are without doubt the kings.

25. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Suggestions on sourcing a used Patek?