308 vs SUV | FerrariChat

308 vs SUV

Discussion in '308/328' started by DANCER308, Jul 28, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I was driving the 308 home and stopped in traffic, when a little ole lady, not the one from Pasadena, in an SUV stops next to me. She rolls down her window and asks, “How much horse power do you have?” I said about 245. Then she asks if I want to race at the next light. I couldn’t believe what was happening. I always turn down these invitations. I said I’ll race you from 80 to 145. She looks at her speedometer, I guess, and says I can’t do that. We had a good laugh, the traffic started moving and we drove on. Wouldn’t you know it; we both wound up at the next red light, first in line and side by side. We both pointed to each other and laughed. I thought, “This can’t be happening”, I’ll just blast off in 1st gear and then let off. The light turned green, we both floored it, I reached 6000 RPM in 1st gear, and she was leaving me behind… this was embarrassing. I knew it would get worse shifting to 2nd as she had an automatic. Oh well. I slowed to make the turn into my subdivision. The only consolation was thinking about how happy she was going to feel telling her friends and family how she outran a Ferrari.

NOTE TO SELF: Never do that again!

2. The Kook Abides

The Kook Abides F1 Rookie

Jan 4, 2011
    You must have an injected car. LOL.

3. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    The guys come to race her from miles around,
    But she'll give 'em a length, then she'll shut'em down.

;)

4. uberlink

uberlink Formula Junior

Apr 23, 2012
    Twin Cities, MN
    Full Name:
    Mark Johnson
    My wife has a hybrid Toyota highlander. Do not mess with these or the Lexus version. 0-60 in 6.9 and a continuously variable automatic means she can kill any of us off the line.

5. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    so I guess in 20 years, us F360 guys have to be worried about whatever hybrid cars made at that time.

6. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus
    Nice story! I am sure you made her day!

Three weeks back I was driving in my 512 TR on very twisty roads on a hill I drove over 500 times with one of my cars. So I know every corner and am quite experienced driving this route. After a short while a little SEAT was behind me and I gave all I had. On the straight lines the TR was faster but in every corner the SEAT caught up. When we reached the top of the mountain he was still hanging at my back. It is so much harder to drive an older car fast than a modern one I could not leave him behind. I am sure he had no chance when I had been in my 575M but the 512 TR is so much more fun to drive.

When I was at the top I thought by myself: At least I made his day and I am sure I did.

Markus

7. DANCER308

DANCER308 Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    KY
    Full Name:
    Dan
    The nice thing is, that at the end of the day, there is a 308 in my garage. Something she would probably love to trade her suv for. :)

8. Ehamilton

Ehamilton Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 13, 2010
    Durham, NC; USA
    Full Name:
    Eric Hamilton
    Usually people expect a 35-year-old car to be putt-putting along in the slow lane. Drive a mid-70s-vintage MGB, and the ricer/hoon crowd won't be trying to race you, they'll be treating you like the pleasant elderly lady in the grocery-store checkout lane, the one who drives her shopping cart at half-speed. But the 308 is so timelessly beautiful that people just don't get that they're looking at a 35-year-old car.

A stray thought: How would a 1940-vintage sports car fare against a 1975-vintage family sedan?

9. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Even in their day, the 308s were not quick cars 0-60. Most American muscle cars would leave a 308 in the dust for about a quarter of a mile. But, after that, the 308 would overtake and keep on going. There is a big difference between a street racer (stop light to stop light) and a road race car.

I would never try to outrun most modern cars from a dead stop in my 328, let alone my old 308 or Mondial. When challenged, I always say, "If you want to take a run out to Pocono Raceway or NJ Motorsport Park and do some laps, sure, I'll race you." Otherwise, I just say, "Sorry, it's against my religion."

Oh, and you F360 folks, it's already happening. The Tesla goes 0-60 in 3.nothing. Try keeping up with that.

10. umsneeze

umsneeze Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I was on the Tail of the Dragon in my 308 and got passed by a Toyota Yaris. It was specially modified etc, and had things like air bags, ABS, TC and stability control and it was raining.

But at the end of the dragon, nobody was taking photos of the Yaris or asking for a ride.

11. AZDoug

AZDoug Formula 3

Jun 17, 2009
    Along the Verde , AZ
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Thus one reason to go to a 3.4 or 3.5L upgrade. :)

I have a very nice 1961 Corvette, that has a 427 CI small block Chev under the hood. Looks just like the original 283, except for the EFI, which is mostly hidden by the air induction system. 440 ft-lb of torque (at 1600 RPM, BTW, the Tq line is flat from 1600-5600 RPM) and 440 HP, *at the rear wheels*, has surprised more than a few people in modern muscle cars (GT Mustangs, Z28 Camaros, etc). They all get to look at the license plate that says 1BAD283, as i pull away from them. :)

Doug

12. Elsi

Elsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2010
    Zürich (Switzerland)
    Full Name:
    Markus

I once drove a Tesla Roadster: it is faster and it feels faster from 0-60 than my 575M with 515 HP! Beyond 60 mph my Maranello is faster than the Tesla.

I also loved the Tesla in corners but we all know that we do not have our F-cars just for doing 0-60. There is so much more in these cars!

Markus

13. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Glad I'm getting a supercharger. :)

14. cwilson13

cwilson13 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 20, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    CWilson
    I would pick going slow and having fun over going fast and being bored every time!

15. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    #15 Bullfighter, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2013
    What he said.

No one expects any other 30-35 year old car to outrun anything from 2013. Probably does come down to the styling.

While I'm not a fan of "antique" or "historical vehicle" plates, they might make the age of the car more obvious to people who don't know much about cars.

Regarding 1940s sports cars, I don't know. I have a 1950s Porsche, and probably the biggest thing is that brakes weren't very good till discs came along with the 300SL and then trickled down to other cars. (At least not good compared to modern cars -- they actually are pretty effective for road use.) I run radial tires on my car instead of the original bias ply design, but the handling is still pretty white knuckled. There seems to have been exponential improvement, with the Jag E-Type arguably being the transition to the modern sports car.

16. Dincenzo

Dincenzo Formula 3

Oct 11, 2005
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    Adrian
    #16 Dincenzo, Jul 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    I have a GT4 and a Volvo SUV. I'd race them but I don't want my wife telling everybody her car beat a Ferrari

18. Speedracer33

Speedracer33 Karting

Jul 17, 2012
    Philadelphia Area
    Full Name:
    Matt B
    Ummmm, a 427 is a SMALL block? Are you sure about that? 427 ci translates to 7.0L, which is a pretty decent size block IMHO!

Back on topic, I wouldn't put my 308 up against my 4Runner V8. It wouldn't even be close.

19. pappy.72

pappy.72 Formula Junior

Nov 13, 2010
    Elgin, IL
    Full Name:
    Dave
    A 427 is sometimes a small block.

20. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    Almost anything built this year can outrun a 40 year old car. Next time save yourself the embarrassment & just get her phone number... tell her you're quicker in bed.

21. Renato

Renato Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2013
    New York
    I'd just assume pulling a Marty McFly and put her in reverse! LOL

22. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Our '13 Mercedes 350SLK midsize SUV, w/302HP 3.5L V6, would suck the headlight pods out of my QV with little effort.

23. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    Yes you can have a 427 small block.

24. SoCal308GTSiQV

SoCal308GTSiQV Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I never bought my 308 for shear speed. We all could go allot faster for allot less money!

I wanted a Gentleman's sports car! Something me and my wife can roll around in and look good. The 308 has that in spades.

But think about the cars the 308 competed against from 1976 through 1985...

The 1976 Mustang? The 1980 Corvette? The 1982 Camaro? Please...those cars were trash.

Even the top 1960's muscle cars don't stand a chance against modern cars. A 1970 LS6 454 Chevelle may have pulled a 13.5 or 14 in the 1/4 mile MAYBE! Passenger cars do that today with ease, with a 4 cylinder under the hood getting 35 miles to the gallon.

Speed is only part of the equation when it comes to 308's. If you want a competitive track car and you want to Supercharge your car, do the brakes, suspension and all the goodies that go with it, you will go fast and have fun. But if you have a street car it's about STYLE! Anyone driving a 1964 Impala Lowrider will tell you that!

I think what is being lost in todays cars that the 308 has is DRIVERS FEEL / EXPERIENCE.
    Paddle Shifting, Traction Control, Power Everything....The manufacturer's are only looking at data graph's, not seat of your pants feel. I want a drivers car....not a car that drives on it's own.

What does all this mean...it means I bow my head to the little old lady in the SUV and don't $@&% with her! LOL

25. Renato

Renato Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2013
    New York
    Agreed Chris. It's not how fast you go, it's how well you go fast.

A good friend of mine is a car geek and a stats nerd and his thing is "oh this car's not fast, or that car's not that fast", mostly referring to my Eleanor or 308, I just telll him if I just wanted to go fast I would just buy a 911 Turbo- game over (compared to what he drives). LOL