Mangusta thread | Page 36 | FerrariChat

Mangusta thread

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by Mang, Jan 10, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. pascal2012

pascal2012 Karting
    BANNED

Nov 28, 2012
    Theses engine come from P70

2. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    those motor photos dont look like carb webers to me...

3. JCR

JCR F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    Probably Lucas MFI.

4. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    It would be interesting to see what they did to get that 476, obviously it had to be more than carbs. Did they work the valves, cam, crank ? Did DeTomaso do the work or Shelby?

on the other side

Bizzarrini worked the 327 valves, cam, cross flow Webers, big Magnesium oil pan and came up with about 400 HP.

5. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    From what I know & see; dry sump,new design pistons, new design roller rods, re-engineered heads, roller bearing cams, Telecumet (not sure spelling) injection. They are like little guillotines and super charger ? (see accessory that looks like alternator), Dual points ( 2 condensers) and different firring order from Ford

6. hyenahf

hyenahf F1 Rookie

May 25, 2004
    most likely that acessory is an injection pump for the MFI ? different firing order meaning a 180 flat plane crank?

7. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    #882 DenisC, Mar 24, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    let me re-phrase that info as stated in CarLife magasine Dec '67
    "power claims a top output with 506bhp. The engine features Tecalemit fuel injection in place of Weber carburators used on the 437bhp version".

So most probably that is what he sold to propective buyers at various car shows.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. theowinstone

theowinstone Karting

May 27, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Theodore Winstone
    Hi there,

We've just acquired 8MA998 which has a few mechanical issues that we're addressing. Your input here appreciated!

The jack shaft has broken in two. There had been trouble here in the past as it had been previously repaired when a bearing had failed and damaged a pulley but a stress crack presumably caused at that time broke the shaft. Given the size of the thing and the light work it has to do this is remarkable.

We're making a replacement in a softer grade steel (the original was hardened, driveshaft quality) which should hopefully work. Has anybody any experience of trouble with this component? It has a 'foot' which was no longer anchored on the inlet manifold, as this has been replaced in the past with an Edelbrock item. This may have contributed to the trouble, I don't know.

A failed crankshaft oil seal is next on the list. What is the sequence for removal of the transaxle and gearbox?

Next, a detail question. Our car is fitted with an alloy undertray to protect the sump and gearbox. Is this original? - difficult to tell.

Finally, our car was registered new in 1972 but has a mid range chassis number. Odd...it has the heated rear screens and the floor mounted handbrake.

Any comment gratefully received!

Thanks

Theo

9. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    #884 DenisC, May 31, 2013
    Greetings Theo, welcome to the Mangusta family

from your details it appears you have a late car, check window dates

PM sent

Removal of the transaxle is actually quite simple. Remove the rear wings, remove the rear spine, remove the cross-members, detach shift linkage and remove starter.

Tricky part are those bell housing to motor bolts, they have a T head, I had to buy a couple new ones from Lloyd at RBT (best way to reach him is by phone, forget emails), Document everything (e_pics are cheap insurance) you will need a re-aligning tool to reinstall the clutch. Everything else is strait forward.

Denis

10. theowinstone

theowinstone Karting

May 27, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Theodore Winstone

11. testamon

testamon Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mike O
    Theo,
    Congratulations re the purchase of your car. I think I can shed some light on a couple of issues. Re the handbrake- Both my cars, a late and mid production originally came with the 'umbrella' type handbrake handle, so I believe they probably all originally came like that with many opting to change them for floor mounted systems to get better leverage. Re the heated glass I think an option or just a lottery as to how they came. 718 has a heated rear window and my latter car does not. It would be interesting to see the numbers on when the heaters first appeared and if they actually work. I have never had an issue with fogging, however I do not drive in poor weather.

12. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    #887 DenisC, Jun 1, 2013
    My statement in checking the window dates is to confirm/infirm your car (from the dash layout a midproduction, but the defroster & handbrake were late production) may have been a left over completed last 55 cars were finished in Germany as DeT was ramping-up the Pantera production.

For instance the front glass on my car all are all 9 L ( Nov '69) and the defroster glass is 1 J (Sept 71)

As Mike has stated the car could have been modified, is there any evidence that there ever was a handle under the dash (ignore the pulleys near the rad as mine has them)

Sorry I have not received the PM

13. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    #888 DenisC, Jun 1, 2013
    Other item to check

I also assumed my Euro car had a 289, but have now confirmed it is not. Your motor may have a DeT number on the rear of the intake where the jackshaft is bolted.

14. theowinstone

theowinstone Karting

May 27, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Theodore Winstone
    For instance the front glass on my car all are all 9 L ( Nov '69) and the defroster glass is 1 J (Sept 71)

As Mike has stated the car could have been modified, is there any evidence that there ever was a handle under the dash (ignore the pulleys near the rad as mine has them)

Sorry I have not received the PM[/QUOTE]

Hi Denis

I'll resend that PM.

Yes my defroster glass is code 1J.

The windshield is 8F and the rest of the glass is 8G - does this make the year of manufacture 1968?

I'll check under the dash (yes it does have the pulleys around the front of the chassis).

Thanks again

15. theowinstone

theowinstone Karting

May 27, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Theodore Winstone
    Thanks, so sounds like the usual Italian low production random specification on this type of feature. Even in the damper climate here, it certainly hasn't been an issue in the times we've had the car out so far.

16. testamon

testamon Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mike O
    Lives in the UK now and still original and well kept..

17. DenisC

DenisC Formula 3

Oct 11, 2009
    I don't think this is Jon's car.

18. testamon

testamon Formula Junior

Aug 16, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Mike O
    You may be correct Denis. My Italian is not so good. Some of the details do not match, clock, Total Kms etc however I find it difficult to believe there were 2 of this colour in Italy. Having seen Jon's car in the flesh I can say that the colour looks even better than in the photos and the colour suits the Goose very well. PS still no tool roll? Mike

19. puebla

puebla Karting

May 31, 2007
    Who among us wouldn't like to have a really accurate, detailed, 1/18th scale (or larger) diecast model of the Mangusta? I've been lobbying the likes of AutoArt, Kyosho and Minichamps for years, asking them to produce same, to no avail. Perhaps if some of you add your request to mine, one of the manufacturers could be convinced to produce a really good model (long overdue) of the Mangusta. Their customer contact info can be found easily, via a Google search.
    My preference would, of course, be for a model of the prototype, w/o the exterior petrol filler opening in the rear hatch.
    Loosely related note: "De Tomaso Mangusta" book by Marc Sonnery & Doug Blair/Eau Rouge Publishing should be shipping in time for Christmas of 2013. I've no idea how much it'll cost, but I'll be buying a copy. For those of us who cannot afford our own Mangusta, good models and books will have to suffice.

20. Mang

Mang F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 11, 2007
    ta HO
    Full Name:
    Mike S.
  21. Jamesark

Jamesark Karting

Nov 12, 2007
    #897 Jamesark, Jun 26, 2013
    Hello All, I'm new to this thread and to Mangusta ownership so I'm on a steep learning curve. I purchased the car from the outskirts of Perth in Western Australia where it had been sitting in a shed for about 30 years! My plan is to restore over time and reinstate the bits and pieces that are missing. The paint is mostly original. I've only had a cautious short drive so far but I've already fallen in love. I've made contact with some people who contribute here and have found everyone very warm, helpful and welcoming. Thank you.

PS Mang that Ebay listing is for a car that's in Sydney Australia - the pictures are lifted from the following dealers site (same dealer involved in my purchase) so I'm abit skeptical!

Oldtimer Australia, classic cars, racing cars, sports cars » De Tomaso Mangusta

Cheers James

22. 33stradale

33stradale Karting

May 27, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Felix
    Here is a short vid of 8MA998 on the road...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5nHs1DYejs&list=HL1373056027&feature=mh_lolz]De Tomaso Mangusta Noise and Acceleration! - YouTube[/ame]

23. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    Wonderful pics of 1300.

Is it just me, or did every one of the last 20 or so Mangustas (RHD and destined for Australia) end up with an aerial in the rear spine?

Good luck, and pleas ost mor pics as you progress.

24. peter bellgtc

peter bellgtc Rookie

Jan 5, 2012
    australia
    Hi Everybody
    I have started work on my latest project 8MA 1286 which i found in a shed in Victoria,Australia were it sat for 20 years! it is a very sad right hand drive car with damage to the left front.
    Can anybody help me with panels left hand front guard,Hood.front valance,doors.

P.S 8MA566 is finished and running.
    8MA 962 is 98% finished
    8MA766 we are starting the final assy

Regards
    Peter