Treadmill decision | FerrariChat

Treadmill decision

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Alcav5, Aug 13, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I need a new treadmill, my current unit crapped out and it dosen't look like it'll get fixed for a while, too long for me to go without running (Body Guard TX460)

I/we could use another unit anyway so I am looking into Landice (L8), True (PS850), Precor (9.45), BodyGuard (TX460) and Life Fitness Club (Sports Art looks ok but No, Matrix looks real nice but very expensive and not sold in my area)

True and or another Body Guard unit I can get delivered right away which is super important to me and they are slightly cheaper than the other 3 (apples to apples)

Landice I believe clearly the better of the bunch and competative (money) to Precor & Life fitness.

Precor real nice magazine write up but in the end I'm not going to consider.

Life fitness a solid machine a hair larger than the rest and I have limited space (height).

I'm tending towards Landice.

Any opinions.

2. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011

Get an elliptical and save your joints.

Walking is the best aerobic exercise and I prefer to do it in the real world, just did mine this morning, but if you must do something indoors, get an elliptical and save all that pounding. I have only been on 1 elliptical that was built right that didn't have that awkward spot in the motion.

3. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I totally agree with you but my problem is ceiling height in the basement (lack thereof). It's a finished room but the floor is sloped so where the unit would sit it's only 81".

4. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    a trapdoor ;)

Can't help you there, don't know your house or your style. But if your neighborhood is pleasant and has a path-like course or a park that is where I would walkercize. (level-ground)

5. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I have an AFG 7.1 that I got at Sears during a great sale. I actually spent time and ran at least 30 minutes on this, assorted Trues, and assorted Precors. I like to do runs, run/walks, and sprint intervals so some things that were important to me may not be important to you. I didn't like the Precor--neither the ride or the way it adjusted suited me. I did like the True (a lot) but with the upgraded head it was over $5K. The AFG was about $1.2K. The True adjustability was no better, but it had a slightly more refined feel. But in the end that wasn't worth anything close to the $3K price spread. I've had it for about 6 months--sees lots of use in the off season, limited use this time of year. So far I couldn't be more pleased. My price above included an extended warranty as well--I don't generally support buying these, but the price seemed right.

6. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    We have exclusively SOLE Fitness equipment in our home gym. They are widely available at Dick's Sporting Goods and/or Sears. We purchased online from the manufacturer.

The treadmill we have from them is an F30 unit, I believe. I stare at the panel every day, but I can't remember the model number. Will check. Anyway, it is fully featured and has had an excellent service life. We have 190 hours on it, I do know that.

We also have a SOLE Elliptical - I can't recall the model number off the top of my head. My wife likes it - I don't. It CONSTANTLY needs lubrication, probably because it's tracks are exposed. The wheels are meant to glide over the tracks. The flywheel is in the front, not in the back. It also squeeks - not constantly, but often enough to be annoying. I try to avoid this unit - I use the exercise bike when I'm on an "off week," which means my wife is using the treadmill. We both LOVE the treadmill, and use it for running and jogging. It's great - we don't use any of the advanced features - just flat long distance running. It is superb for this.

Good luck!

7. IDriveM5

IDriveM5 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2012
    Central Ohio
    Full Name:
    Raj
    I checked the treadmill this morning. I use a SOLE F80. I jog about 25 minutes at 6.5 mph every day. It is excellent.

8. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I am now considering True instead of Landice. My price range has been upped to mid $4's. My objective is to get a very sturdy, solid unit. In 2 1/2yrs I put over 16days worth of time & 2,100 miles on my BodyGuard and it is still solid despite having a motor issue (which is another story).

I am looking at motor rating (hp, min 3.4 to 4 up to 5hp), rear roller size (min 2.75 to 3.5 "dia), construction and weight and display features. So far Landice L8, True Es or CS or another Bodyguard 460.

Maybe today I'll decide.

9. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    Check out the Woodway Curve. A gym I recently joined has them and I have to say, they're unreal.

WOODWAY Curve Manual Slat Belt Treadmill

They're a little higher than your price range, but I've seen them used for a fair amount less. The curve lets your front foot come down an incline so there is nearly no "impact" at all, but since its user propelled, you burn a ton more calories than a motor drive treadmill.

I was VERY skeptical when I joined my gym about these things, but I've been fully converted.

Mark

10. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    Very interesting, I just watched 2 vids on it. I will look into availabilty & dollars. When I was using a trainer all he kept saying to me was that I was running wrong (still am). The vids are exactly what he was trying to get me to do. Problem is that I do like having the motor push me along when I am getting tired. Geesh if I was in as good shape as those guys I'm sure I'd be able to run propoelry too. lol...

Doesn't look like there is any slacking off with this Curve unit.

Thanks for the info.

Al

11. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
  12. billyfitness

billyfitness Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    I have used Star Trac in my gym and sold to clients for the past 15 yrs. Many companies sell refurbished commercial ones for half the original price that will last longer than you and I will be around. Might also be too big for you though.

-Billy

13. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Three times over 20yrs we've gotten floor models of higher end Nordic or Sole from Sears for half price with the extended warranties and works out great every time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

14. billyfitness

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    A note on Ellipticals. Even though I have a Precor, do not use it as a sole source of 'Cardio.' It is not a natural human motion especially considering the ankle in dorsiflexion at hip extension. Meaning, when the leg is back, the foot should be pointed downward (plantar-flexed), not upward as the elliptical footplate dictates.

As far as 'pounding' even if there is no impact you may be just trading in one force for another. In the case of elliptical or cycle = shear. You just have to manage and vary your workouts, that's all. Don't get stuck on the same thing.

All exercise machines should be used as an interval device, a few minutes of high intensity, not a 30-60 minute 'Cardio.' In fact, it is a myth that there is a difference between 'Cardio' and 'Weights.' It's all Resistance Training and all Cardio.

-Billy

15. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I made my choice today. Bought the True CS550 outfitted with an ortho pad. It is a commercial grade unit w 5hp motor. A very heavy unit. Life time warranty. Beat out Landice in solidness imo.
    Very interesting were the Woodway units but up there in price (over 10k) - they are most likely for the health care industry.

16. billyfitness

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    A note on Ellipticals. Even though I have a Precor, do not use it as a sole source of 'Cardio.' It is not a natural human motion especially considering the ankle in dorsiflexion at hip extension. Meaning, when the leg is back, the foot should be pointed downward (plantar-flexed), not upward as the elliptical footplate dictates.

As far as 'pounding' even if there is no impact you may be just trading in one force for another. In the case of elliptical or cycle = shear. You just have to manage and vary your workouts, that's all. Don't get stuck on the same thing.

All exercise machines should be used as an interval device, a few minutes of high intensity, not a 30-60 minute 'Cardio.' In fact, it is a myth that there is a difference between 'Cardio' and 'Weights.' It's all Resistance Training and all Cardio.

-Billy

17. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    That's good to know. When I was waiting for my purchase to go through I was checking out the elliptical s and they just felt strange.
    In the end I need to do more of a mix of things to lose this weight

18. billyfitness

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    That 'mix of things' would probably be eating habits! ...right? ;-)

-Billy

19. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I need a new set of dna. Mine are set wrong for the amount of food I like to eat.

20. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    W/O qualification this is just wrong. Cardio should be easy, like the walking I do, designed to burn fat and improve circulation at a low heart rate that one can do for an extended period of time. 'Weights' should be intense, only possible to perform for very short duration, and designed to build maximum muscle.

You can try mixing them but why bother, a bad compromise.

for bookworms
    Anaerobic exercise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Aerobic exercise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

21. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    It really comes down to the warranty. We have a Nordic floor model from Sears with a $50 per year extended warranty. Service call starts at $75 plus parts. Two visits, two squeaks about a year apart. Service calls, labor, parts have totaled about $1000, but no charge.

22. billyfitness

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
    Vinny,
    The above statement is wrong for the following reasons:
    "Cardio should be easy." That is an opinion, not a fact.
    "Weights should be intense." Also an opinion, not a fact.
    "Designed to build maximum muscle." ?? Really, tell that to my female clients in there 50's and 60's.
    You can burn fat and improve circulation at any intensity...especially if you eat correctly.

Ask yourself these questions:
    - Is walking up a steep incline weight training or cardio?
    - Is a heavy squat weight training or cardio (check your heartrate after a set)
    - If I squat with 5# db's for 30 min should I call it cardio or weight training?
    - If I am walking and encounter a hill or rocks I have to climb should I "Not mix them" and is it "A bad compromise?"

The facts are:
    - A stairmaster, or an elliptical, or a cycle, (typically called a cardio machines), are in fact a mini-squat; same joints, shorter range, aid from the machine to lower the load, or resistance setting to increase it.
    - Any exercise whether it be a machine or holding some form a weight in your hand can border on the low intensity or high intensity side. There is no delineation.
    - An exercise, any exercise, is defined as applying force to a motor pattern. Thus, all exercise is resistance training, not cardio or weights.
    - A workout program should be designed about a spectrum of intensity incorporating low-high and everything in between. As I mentioned above, Variation is the key.

Listen Mr. Bourne, I just try to help out the general population with what I know works, has worked on clients, base ot on science, and mostly by dispelling popular myths that propagate the fitness arena....like this cardio-weight thing. Try not to call out 'Wrong' when someone is just trying to help out and share the facts.

-Billy

23. Vinny Bourne

Nov 25, 2011
    Too much wrong with your response too bother with it. Curious, Were you born to Mr. and Mrs. Fitness?

I am also trying to help out the general population from what I know works from my personal experience. If someone wants to get strong, build muscle naturally, and look athletic, they will not do better than listening to me. :)