3500 GT Restoration Project | Page 10 | FerrariChat

3500 GT Restoration Project

Discussion in 'Maserati' started by italiafan, Feb 7, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    #226 italiafan, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. samsung

samsung Rookie

Mar 8, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Steve Roberts
    Both the oval and bonnet intake chrome trim are re-manufactured by a guy I know in the UK.

PM me and I will send you his details

3. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    PM sent, thanks!

4. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Rob, the car looks fantastic. Here is the trident surround.....Maserati 3500 Trident Grille Ornament Surround Trim | eBay

It requires a little work by your body shop, before it is plated. Mine turned out great.

You can also find the rubber bellows for your bumper mounts on Ebay or at MIE or MaseratiSource.

5. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    #230 3500 GT, Feb 24, 2013

Rob, great work! The paint looks much better in natural lighting. Very nice, white cars sometime look unattractive, but your 3500 looks stunning.

As Mark stated,..Maseratisource had the trident surrounds for awhile. Jacques may have them in stock. Also MIE may have them. I have an extra one if you are in a bind.

Also, the Maserati Trident has the lower horizontal bars painted red, and sometimes the outer edge of the trident was painted red. On some early cars the Maserati Trident was completely painted in red. So you have options on that! :)

If your car is pre mid 1959 the side marker lights may have been added later in the cars life, as cars built before that were not required to have them. But as we all know never say, "never" or "absolutely this or that", with Maserati. :)

Keep the photos coming!!!!

Ciao and best.

~Trev

The factory photo show an early car. Note completely red Maserati Trident. No wing windows. No hood scoop trim. Side vents in wings/fenders. Mill finish or silver exhaust, not black paint.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Thanks All....I will f/u on those leads.

7. Aurum

Aurum Karting

Nov 4, 2009
    CT
    Full Name:
    Chris
    #232 Aurum, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
    Rob,

Are there bright bits (polished aluminum or chrome) around the windshield and rear window? Your photos show only what appears to be black rubber.

edit: just looked at your original barn find photos and see that there are polished window chrome (or aluminum).. so I'm guessing they're not back from polishing or chroming yet.

-c

8. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Very observant!

They were pretty mangled...and we were thinking of just leaving it as the black rubber to give it a nice modern look with black rubber contrasting the white paint.

What do people here think? Shoudl I make the effort to source new metal strips or leave it with black rubber around the glass for the timebeing???

9. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    You have a PM.
    FGM

10. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    From the looks of the original chrome trim I would think it could be saved and used.
    I am very sorry to say that (in my opinion) the car will never be complete without the trim around the front and rear glass.
    The process of fitting this chrome is daunting but can be done with good result.
    It will take a good sheet metal man, a good chrome shop and plenty of patients.
    Ciao,
    FGM

11. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Okay....thanks...I'll try to get it done now.

Do you have those parts available if mine are beyond hope?

12. thecarnut

thecarnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 22, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    The Car Nut
    The chrome trim is being reproduce by a chap in the UK. PM me if you need the info.

I agree with Frank; car does not look right without them.

Ivan

13. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I just spoke with Frank (thanks Frank!)....my concern will be not cracking the glass....we went to great lengths to preserve the original glass because it has those great Roma Club stickers and such.

I'll speak to the guy who installed the glass to see how comfortable he feels with doing it...otherwise I may have to wait and get it to a pro-shop that can handle that confidently....

Thoughts?

14. mfletch

mfletch Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Rob, if you look at my Barnfind post, you will see that I had some challenges with my windshield trim. As long as the installer is reasonably careful, the glass should be fine. The only time that the glass is likely to be damaged, is when the pilot holes are being made. I agree with Ivan and Frank, the car looks incomplete without the windshield and rear window trim. I had to look at mine for a few months without the trim. I was also concerned about retaining my original glass. Good luck. I really enjoy seeing your progress. Great color choice. I appreciate the tasteful modifications that you have done to make the car your own.

15. Aurum

Aurum Karting

Nov 4, 2009
    CT
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I think a car made in an era with chrome and bright accents NEVER looks better without them. There is nothing about this car that would benefit from looking more modern. Just my two Lincolns.

-c

16. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    ...and a Dodge!:)

17. Aurum

Aurum Karting

Nov 4, 2009
    CT
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Rob, any pictures of the interior?

18. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Still gutted.
    Finishing some fabrication for the exterior and hopefully will then be able to address interior restoration in a month or so.
    I'll post pix as soon as I have some.

19. agup48

agup48 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 15, 2006
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    AG
    Any updates?

20. Aurum

Aurum Karting

Nov 4, 2009
    CT
    Full Name:
    Chris
    bump.... any news?

21. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Interior being done. Will try to shoot some new pix soon. The guy is going slowly, taking his time...hand stitching in the carpet...looks beautiful.

22. old59

old59 Rookie

Feb 2, 2013
    Beautiful car. What about posting some pictures of the tool kit while we wait for pictures of the interior?

23. Portenos

Portenos Formula 3

Aug 20, 2004
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Carguytour
    #248 Portenos, Aug 22, 2013
  24. Quattroporte3

Quattroporte3 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2010
    Can you explain how the jack works? There's some u-shaped piece there to protect the body?

Just curious how these were used back in the day...

25. old59

old59 Rookie

Feb 2, 2013
    There are four holes in the rocker panels - two on each side, front and rear. The "arm" of the jack is inserted into the hole, then the handle is turned to raise the jack and car up. If you look at the pictures on page three of this discussion where the car is on the trailer you will see the holes. There are jack plug covers such as these that cover the holes: PARTS COLLECTOR | COPERCHI PER FORO CRIC Maserati 3500 101