heater hose replacement | FerrariChat

heater hose replacement

Discussion in '308/328' started by jon s, Aug 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jon s

jon s Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    pocasset ma
    Full Name:
    jon shoukimas MD
    i'm going to replace all my heater hoses. what do i need to do with the heater boxes to get access to the hose pipes on them? any other tips would be appreciated. thanks, jon s

2. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    Are you wanting to remove the cores for service or just gain access to them?

3. jon s

jon s Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    pocasset ma
    Full Name:
    jon shoukimas MD
    just gain access.

4. Dr Kananga

Dr Kananga Formula 3

Apr 20, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Buonapart I. Gallia
    Put on gloves.
    Drill out the rivets.
    Take off the covers.
    Pull out the cores.
    They WILL be gross, especially if they were never cleaned (most haven't been).

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328/379218-heater-box-finish.html

Take a ton of pics.
    If you are not refinishing the casing, do one at a time.
    On the GT4, the snout is not center + you have to put the stems that the hose connects to on the correct side.
    I had to redo mine a couple times cause I kept getting it wrong.
    Granted, it's just a couple rivets, but it's still annoying...
    This was MOST obvious when I put the diverters back on.

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/308-328/386724-heater-core-box-configuration.html

Just take a TON of pics, from EVERY angle.

Good luck.

5. pgarossino

pgarossino Formula Junior

Nov 19, 2009
    Houston Tx
    Full Name:
    Paul G.A. Garossino
    Are you planning on replacing the long line from the engine bay through the driver's sill up to the driver's side heater plumbing? That one is a bear!

6. Dr Kananga

Dr Kananga Formula 3

Apr 20, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Buonapart I. Gallia
    Might as well change out all the hoses (including the long one, if you can stomach it) and the clamps.

Gates Green Stripe for the hoses under the hood.
    Ask Robert Garven what the correct hose is for the long run.
    Clamps: I put on ABA clamps, but I had a few snap. Not cool.
    Still trying to figure out which clamps are the JAM.
    You really just want to make sure the clamp has a smooth interior so it's not cutting into whatever hose you apply it to.

7. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    As Doc said, drill out the rivets and the spare tire tub should come out.

If you are going for the full monty and replace the supply line from the back, use the old line as a pull string. But you will have to remove the front driver fender liner, as well as the drivers side fuel tank.

8. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    my goans started hurting just thinking about it

9. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    There's a couple tricks to it,

stitch the new hose to the old one then duct tape the seam.
    remove gas tank, can still be done with it place but tank out really helps.
    remove the latch in the door sill, the hoses make a near 90* turn right there from the tanks to the rocker.
    2 people, one pulls, one feeds the hose

it's been awhile but I think removing the front tire and inner fender cover is also helpfull

Still a PITA job though.

might as well replace vacuum hose to.

10. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    i tried every damn trick in the book, even removing gas tanks. my hose was installed originally with a crimp, which prevented it from being pulled out...

11. Dr Kananga

Dr Kananga Formula 3

Apr 20, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Buonapart I. Gallia
    So....

You never changed it?

12. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    I changed it alright.

i had to cut the old one out, and fish a new one through. The pull through trick did not work.

13. Sledge4.2

Sledge4.2 F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2007
    Marin
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #13 Sledge4.2, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. FourCam

FourCam Formula Junior

May 19, 2004
    Loveland CO
    Full Name:
    Cameron MacArthur
    May I suggest that you "gut it out" and find a way to replace the long hose? If it has not been done, it will most likely look like mine. It was about 75% clogged with a black goopy mess. I had to "adjust" the LH tank (did not remove, just l moved it around in place) to get to the impossible location where the hose comes out of the "tunnel". The front end is easy once you remove the fender inner liner. It was the worst operation I have performed on my car, but it has to be done! Ugh!

15. jon s

jon s Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    pocasset ma
    Full Name:
    jon shoukimas MD
    thank you all. i'm doing them all including the rear one to the engine. i was afraid you'd tell me about rivets. gloves sound mandatory. wish me luck.

16. Pero

Pero Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 22, 2011
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Peter R
  17. jon s

jon s Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    pocasset ma
    Full Name:
    jon shoukimas MD
    hold the presses. i'm doing a 308 gtsi. i just looked at the heater boxes - they are easy. the question is can i get at the union of the heater box hoses and the hose from the radiator t by removing the bottom body panel or can i cut the hoses and pull it out from up top? thanks, jon s. p.s. i have much admiration for anyone who did this job on a gt4, it sounds like a bear.

18. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    If you use electrical tape to marry the new hose to the old hose, the old hose then becomes the pull line. If you try to pull it from one end to the other with all the bends it will be impossible. I'll see if I can put some drawing together.

19. lostbowl

lostbowl Formula 3

Apr 30, 2009
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tom
    There is a tee behind the pedal assembly----------------lots of fun! Yeah!! (spl. Ed)
    Lost

20. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Just a suggestion, but you might want to do something a little stronger. When I did it on my 308, I put a short piece of copper tubing into the two ends, and put hose clamps on, then covered that with duct tape. If you just tape them and they get hung up at all, and you give a good tug, they may come apart. Having them clamped together, I could pull as hard as I needed and they stayed together. It also helps if you have someone at the other end of the tunnel feeding the hose through to you.

21. SoCal308GTSiQV

SoCal308GTSiQV Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    From which end do you pull the hose? Do you pull it out the front or out the back?

About how long is the long run hose?

Did any of you guys put a cut off valve on that line for summer driving to keep the cabin temp down?

Why did they not put a metal line in the car? the radiator main line is metal right?

22. jon s

jon s Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    pocasset ma
    Full Name:
    jon shoukimas MD
    ah, first day of hoses. the back line is in and all the heater box hoses are in except the connection to the radiator tee. it felt great to say to hell with it (after cutting the hoses at the heater boxes) and pull on the radiator line at the cowling until everything came loose. i'm going to connect the tee to the radiator hose and heater boxes out front so it's easy to service. come to think of it though, i'm 67 and i've started asking for 5 year warranties on stuff i buy. why should us old guys make 20 year service down the road easy? your thoughts gentlemen. and again thanks for all the advice.

23. Jonny Law

Jonny Law F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 6, 2008
    Over yonder.
    Full Name:
    IT Guy
    #23 Jonny Law, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
    Never had a problem with electrical tape. It doesn't tear like duct tape. The problem with hose clamps would be them getting hung up, and the straight pipe would make it difficult to make the 90* bends.

From which end do you pull the hose?
    -From front to back

About how long is the long run hose?
    -Estimate 12' to 15'. But there is another 6' to 8' from the core to the return pipe

Did any of you guys put a cut off valve on that line for summer driving to keep the cabin temp down?
    -I did, but I have also found the temperature of the fluid in the return pipe will heat the fluid in the return line of the heater cores. I haven't decided if I am going to add a second cut off at this point also.

Why did they not put a metal line in the car? the radiator main line is metal right?
    -Why did they.... is a question asked many times while working these cars.

I actually flipped my heater cores so the lines point to the front. Added 90* bends and removed 10' to 12' of hose from the front. Not original, but didn't really care.

24. jon s

jon s Formula Junior

Mar 9, 2005
    pocasset ma
    Full Name:
    jon shoukimas MD
    the job is done; i now have all new water lines - another time bomb eliminated. i also felt much better after i got rid of some nasty looking antifreeze with 5 year new stuff. don't forget to pull the r wheelwell arch and get at the bleeder on the back of the engine block to fully drain the system. jon s

25. SoCal308GTSiQV

SoCal308GTSiQV Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2008
    Ojai, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Congrat's Jon, This is HUGE on my mind. I really want to get these jobs checked off the list!

BTW, what size hose is used?