Hagerty help | FerrariChat

Hagerty help

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by jonack, Sep 12, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jonack

jonack Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2007
    Berkeley, California
    Full Name:
    J. Clark
    I've been approached on several occasions, at car shows, by Hagerty
    Feild Agents to insure my car, each time I seem to loose their business
    Cards. Silly me!
    When I call and deal with the phone agents
    I've found them difficult and I'm unable to obtain proper coverage
    For my car. Yet, the field agents seem far more willing, once they've seen
    the car, to deal with my desired valuation. I'm located in California
    So a somewhat local agent would be best.

Thanks,
    John

2. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Your personal insurance agent can work directly through Hagerty. Mine did, same pricing, and my agent was able to take care of everything. I even gave her the check.

George Vosburgh likes this.
  3. barchetta

barchetta Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Has anyone had any claims experience with Hagerty? How do they compare to Chubb? (I know Chubb is not cheap, but you get what you pay for.)

4. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    #4 3500 GT, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
    John, consider yourself lucky!

RUN,...don't walk away from Hagerty.

They are nothing more than an agency and their underwriters have one of the worst BAD FAITH claims record in the insurance "industry".

My claim was the worst experience I have had with ANY "agency".

RUN and run fast!!!!

Chubb is the best IMHO.

5. 360gtracer

360gtracer Formula 3

May 18, 2004
    3500GT's post is proof that everyone's experience is different.

A close friend has a pre-war RR and has made 3 claims through Hagerty, probably totaling 50K or more in value. Claims were paid, no questions asked, and not even a hint of premiums being raised. Who knows? Maybe my friend's circumstances were entirely different (hence the different treatment). I don't really know, I just know he told me this story when I was looking for insurance for the blue car. He also pays for their "premium" service which gives him something like 150 miles of flatbed towing, and coverage for any car in which he happens to be riding. I did not opt for that level of coverage.

FWIW, YMMV, yadda, yadda, yadda......

gp

6. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    Hagerty SUCKS.

7. greg512tr

greg512tr Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 19, 2002
    Dallas TX
    Full Name:
    Greg B
    Hagerty's plus roadside assistance/towing is terrible. Always minimum of 1 1/2 hours. I might switch to AAA.

8. jav

jav Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    John
    timely question. I have Hagerty- never had a claim but have always heard good things. Of late, been having issues with premiums. At first they were very reasonable. Last year- I got a renewal notice at one price- paid it in full. Then got another bill for an outstanding balance?? I called- they fixed it.

This year- big price bump. I think they got me for last years price bump plus this years.

I tried Chubb... they don't underwrite in Mass.

BTW- mine is an agreed value garage policy- no collision/road coverage at all. Wouldn't mind finding some options.

9. ttn27

ttn27 Formula 3

Sep 30, 2010
    TX
    Full Name:
    TN
    Hagerty, as far as know, does not cover for collision, only for fire, theft and vandalism.

10. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    If they act as a broker wouldn't your experience vary state by state depending on who underwrites the policy?

11. Zanny1

Zanny1 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hagarty is the worst. From poor customer service to high rates, I dropped them after 2 years. State farm had better coverage and a lower premium... right here in California.

DJP likes this.
  12. 330GTCFERRARI

330GTCFERRARI Karting

Jun 21, 2012
    NYC
    I had to up the value of my 330 covered with Hagerty. I had to get a formal appraisal done, which I had Lance Coren do. He is excellent. I was then offered Hagerty Private Client status based ont he value of the car.

They were super helpful, but I had to jump through a lot of hoops to get it done. It was very stressful and time consuming.

In the end, it was well worth it. Hagerty is pretty awesome. I did all this by simply dealing with them directly. The private client agents are super helpful, and the regualr agents are pretty difficult and clueless. I agree.

13. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Would you kindly post the citation of a link for that claim experience as it relates to the rest of the industry that you are referencing?

14. KenGoldman

KenGoldman Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 25, 2009
    MASS., USA
    Full Name:
    Kenneth Goldman
    They insure my two Ferraris. I had a rock hit & crack the windshield on my 330 GTC.
    Damage was around $5,000. total for labor & replacement.

I could not get anyone reliable to redo the window--finally over 8 months later, Paul Russell kindly agreed to do it. It came out great.

I sent Haggarty the bill--I got a check within 3 days ---in full.

I know others who have 25 cars--and they say Haggarty is great--as does my insurance agent who handles high net worth clients.

So, I am a fan.

Ken Goldman

15. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    In my case Chubb was significantly cheaper than Hagerty. I use them for my Speedster (agreed value). I enrolled over the phone and emailed them photos of the car.

Haven't had any claims, but per the policy I can select any shop to do the work.

16. todaxyz

todaxyz Karting

Jul 16, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I've used Hagerty for many years and have been happy with them. Only had to file 1 claim and it was painless with no increase in premiums.

17. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    +1

I needed a windshield in my car. My bill was about 2k+, sent it to Hagerty and was paid within a few days - No issues

18. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    #18 3500 GT, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
    Glad your experience was good. Albeit, for $2,000, that's really peanuts.

Just wait until your bill is more than $5K, $15K, or total loss then see what happens with Haggerty "Insurance Agency".

19. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    +1000 !!!

20. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    #20 3500 GT, Sep 13, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
    Maybe, but Haggerty's underwriters do business in most states, except states that they are barred from doing business in, or where the "costs" are prohibitave on ROI.

IMHO. FWIW. my .02 lira on the pasta plate.

21. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    My question was whether it was Haggerty or the particular underwriter in a given state that was the issue.

22. 3500 GT

3500 GT Formula 3

Nov 2, 2008
    USA
    Full Name:
    Gentleman Racer
    Both.

23. srslusso

srslusso Formula Junior

Mar 17, 2005
    Encino,Ca.
    Full Name:
    Steve S.
    Hagerty is wonderful, when my 365GT 2+2 caught on fire and was virtually destroyed from the firewall through the dash with me in it. I could have not asked for better service. The
    car had to be filled with water in order to put out the fire. The car was towed to the shop I used for all my work, they came out and inspected it twice and worked with me and my mechanic and other expert painters and restorers to determine it could not be restored at a reasonable cost considering it's valuation. Agreed upon value of $ 160,000 was paid promptly to me, after I (stupidly in respect to rising future value) declined to buy the remains for $ 41,000.
    I suffered from smoke inhalation and other problems, they were wonderful about handling and could not have asked for anything more from an insurance company.Their employees in Michigan over the phone and in person were excellent to deal with .
    Contact Adam Martin in Los Angeles if you need insurance from them.

I strongly endorse Hagerty !

24. Papa G

Papa G Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    I hope I never get to that bridge

25. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm still waiting for your link to the industry survey that backs up your claim that they have "one of the worst BAD FAITH claims records in the insurance 'Industry'".

So far all I have seen here is your personal anecdotal story, which is in variance with my personal experience with Hagerty and apparently in variance with the experience of several others on here.

Tell me then, do you have actual industry surveys to back up your point or are you just expanding your own opinion to make it seem as though it is much bigger?