Ferrari GTO sells at $52 Million | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Ferrari GTO sells at $52 Million

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by KenGoldman, Oct 2, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Joe Macari is no idiot.

2. 180 Out

180 Out Formula 3

Jan 4, 2012
    San Leandro, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill Henley
    I wonder how frank he is with his opinions on the specious needs of billionaires when one is sitting across the table from him.

3. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #28 miurasv, Oct 3, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
    At least he will know that he is sincere, and respect his opinion. I know quite a few knowledgeable Ferrari lovers who do not think the GTO is beautiful. In my opinion the 250 GTO reverence has a lot more to do with its prowess as a whole, and not just its looks.

4. 275GTBSaran

275GTBSaran Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Much agreed Steve. The 250 GTO is not really the car that comes to mind when I think of beauty. 250 SWB, 250 Cal spider, 250 S1 Cab, 250 Lusso is what I think of when I think beautiful.

The 250 GTO is very masculine and powerful which many people I think are attracted to. Its beautiful in a masculine way for sure. Taste- thank goodness is very different for everyone.

5. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    the 250gto has perfect lines from every angle. definitely masculine, muscular. same can be said about the daytona.
    ed

6. 275GTBSaran

275GTBSaran Formula Junior

Mar 5, 2012
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Le Monde Edmond
    Much agreed!

7. Enigma Racing

Enigma Racing Formula 3

Jun 1, 2008
    London
    Full Name:
    Kim
    Sold four weeks ago

8. Vincent Vangool

Vincent Vangool Formula 3

Oct 6, 2007
    Zanskar, Kargil district, Ladakh, India
    Full Name:
    Vincent Vangool
    Yep. Who knows. I'm biased but it seems crazy to me that a painting costs more.

Frankly it just seems easier to paint a painting then hand build a car.

But I know nothing of the art world and why stuff is valued there.

But to me these cars are the greatest sculptures ever made. Plus they run at speed.

If I was an art collector this is what I'd collect. I'd rather have casted and handbeaten metal then a piece of canvas but that's just me.

I would have to think that someday Ferrari and those that contributed: Bizzarrini, Scaglietti, Colombo and others that contributed to various cars will be seen as artists alongside the great painters and sculptures but that may just be a dream.

Anyways, To me, if someone can pay 50 million for a stripe painted on a canvas it doesn't seem to insane for a GTO to sell for similar. Frankly I think it should sell for much more.

9. amc

amc Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 9, 2009
    old school
    GTO '64 has the perfect lines.

10. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    #35 ginge82, Oct 3, 2013
    Christies has a Warhol coke bottle coming up for auction soon and its rumoured for a $60m sale. It is one of two, the other coke bottle painting owned by S.Cohen.

Between an overhyped Warhol, parking $50m+ in a bank or having a $52m GTO in my garage, I know where my money would go.

It is only a matter of time before we see a $100m GTO sale.

11. Vincent Vangool

Vincent Vangool Formula 3

Oct 6, 2007
    Zanskar, Kargil district, Ladakh, India
    Full Name:
    Vincent Vangool
    I would have to think at some point these cars will move past just the world of the car collector to the world of the art collector.

12. BIGHORN

BIGHORN In Memoriam

Sep 18, 2006
    FLORIDA/NEW MEXICO
    Full Name:
    JOHN F KELLY
    I think Retired's post is correct

13. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I agree.

Marcel Massini

14. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    In my opinion there is too much of a difference between the art market and the classic car market to warrant so many comparisons. Seems like people focus only on the obvious similarity, which are the exorbitant prices paid for the top examples in both cases, and in some instances the shock value of the public release of some of these transactions.

To me they are different things altogether. And quite honestly the Art market from an investment point of view is a lot harder to "navigate" than the classic car market. Unless you are talking about the rare instance where they overlap, for instance the sale of the BMW M1 painted by Frank Stella, a few years ago. Or if the Warhol M1 ever came up for sale.

15. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    +1

What I see is that prices begin to rise and i can assume that in a couple of years GTOs, 250 LM's and some more specials will be sold at really outrageous numbers.

What can i say!

16. 335s

335s Formula Junior

Jan 17, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    T. Monma
    It's not your money....I;m vexed...
    People of this economic status in life, certainly live differnt than the "rest of us"...
    When the "hired help" are all millionaires, then the perspective of this venue/strata becomes somewhat more provocative, yet succinct with respect to all the BS-ing and rumor mongering...as in not much tolerance....and suspicion of all comers and queries...

with regards to perspective, this car was shopped at us months ago in the mid to high forties, with 3 back ups in front-so goes the storyline-reaching across the fifty threshold...
    congratulations, yuou are a collector!

Within 90 days, the same issue was re-shopped at a surchargedf-purportedly from the new owner/consortium, for a figure approaching 60 large...

Since we are not remotely interested in one of these, at this altitude-despite being one of the three top tier examples(3705, 4293-your opinions mean zero, THE MARKET speaks as to this reality!)...I again query...who really cares, and why?

17. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    + 1

18. ARMBARBI48

ARMBARBI48 Karting

Jan 29, 2013
    Modena Italy
    Full Name:
    Armido Barbieri
    CONFIRM ! ! ! It is a "mechanic ART"

19. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    OK, so the most significant post in this thread IMHO is the last one quoted here.

But I would really like to know a little more. What is not true, regarding the article: that the car sold at all, or that it sold for a different amount?

Onno

20. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    If Toolfan said it sold for that amount then I would believe him, he has the contacts and the direct knowledge, could the debate be whether Papalardo sold it in '08 (Barchetta's claim) or today (Bloomberg's claim). Just saying

21. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Honestly I agree with him; it seems like it gets more attention for its eye popping prices, than it's looks. (I'm sure the 39 owners aren't losing sleep over what people think of its looks though). But the TestaRossa & 250 California are much more stylish to me.....

This thread is hysterical; people speaking in code whether it was sold or not.....I guess that means people like me will have to believe what is reported by the press then!
    Kevin

22. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    #47 geno berns, Oct 3, 2013
    If there were more billionaire car enthusiasts, the GTO would be trading for much more. The $52MM paid for this car is likely a drop in the ocean for the owner. Those that spend $100MM on a painting or purchase a GTO for $52MM to add to their $200MM existing car collection earn as much on a monthly basis. It's not a major purchase for those who can afford it, they spend/invest much more daily in what ever trade they are in. So it's all relative to what one can pull off in our too-short of lives. Let's hope the car gets exercised by the new owner who we all should be congratulating!

Geno

23. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Its so hilarious in these threads that no one wants to name the new owner, though everyone is so curious-maybe it will just disappear from the face of the earth now.
    J

24. PAUL BABER

PAUL BABER Formula 3

Nov 1, 2006
    London. UK.
    Full Name:
    Paul Baber
    #49 PAUL BABER, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  25. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012