Ferrari GTO sells at $52 Million | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Ferrari GTO sells at $52 Million

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by KenGoldman, Oct 2, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    barchetta.cc says that 5111GT is not sold and that the Bloomberg report cannot be confirmed.

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Notice the chassis number error, 51111 and the pic is of Nick Mason's 3757GT. All these reported stories from Classic & Sports Car, Ferrari Market Letter etc all quote the Bloomberg News story as a source.

Surely somebody here who discloses their full name in their profile can confirm if Paul Pappalardo owned the car or not to be in a position to sell it or whether the Torrota Collection owned it or still owns it rather than just saying the story is not true. Let's have some elaboration please.

3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    FYI a former owner of 5111 GT has posted in THIS thread.

Marcel Massini

4. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The UK Daily Telegraph not only has the chassis number wrong, they also have the name of the seller wrong, the number of GTO's built wrong, the incorrect photo, etc.

Marcel Massini

5. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    The Torrota Collection never owned 5111 GT.

Marcel Massini

6. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Thank you for your replies. It gets even more confusing. So, as the report names Paul Pappalardo as the seller and the Torrota Collection never owned it, who actually owns 250 GTO 5111GT?

7. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    It does NOT get more confusing.
    The report is all wrong. Complete bs.

Marcel Massini

8. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    I guess in his position Marcel can only confirm what is incorrect, rather then what is correct due to disclosure agreements, which I for one fully endorse.

It is nobodies business other than the seller and the buyer, unless they would like it to be public knowledge.

9. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Please excuse me for being thick, Marcel but I am confused. I can appreciate that you want to keep the name of the owner of 5111 GT private and I of course respect that.

You've said that the Torrota Collection never owned 5111 GT but just to clarify, please can you confirm the following:

1. Is Paul Pappalardo the current owner, you did say they got the name of the seller wrong?

2. Has the car changed hands in the last few months?

10. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #1: No.
    No further comments. Thanks for understanding.

Marcel Massini

11. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Thank you.

12. Onebugatti

Onebugatti Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 2, 2008
    Centre Europe
    Full Name:
    Christopher
    Threads like this one , really show the lack of truth and seriousness of Ferrari game. The Ferrari cars are one thing but the game so full of ostentatiousness it hurts the cars by association. This un-creditable avoidance of straight talk and truth clearly makes for all this posturing. Way to many Hubris characters on the Ferrari stage now, these are not the sportsmen from the old Ferrari days or the contemporary ones that have a passion for the cars.

I've noticed one thing, these ''' characters '' playing Kings of the Court don't actually own any particular neat cars. They have very little mechanical interest , a bad eye for correctness and even worst design/engineering knowledge. They feed on valuations and personalities of the hoarders instead of the creditability of the cars. What they own is a keyboard and enough outdated document knowledge in poorly researched books to be considered dangerous. It's been that way for a long time. Any person of a slightly higher intelligence out there sees it. The amount of smoke and mirrors discussions are reflective of a bunch of old women at a Bingo game.

I think that will change when the flow of information is managed by the academics and not the Narcissus. A creditable transition from all this ‘’justified belief ‘’switches to a cleaner level of true academic knowledge that will over time make this subject less like dealing with the mafia.

The Ferrari market is developing a demand for creditability. That is based on preservation of the cars and clean information sourced by passionate enthusiast, much could be linked to the cars coming on as investments in a world of fiscal mayhem and the search for belief in real-value assets that hold a joy in their custodianship.. IMO.

13. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Does anyone here really believe that someone who was involved wants to discuss the deal on detail here publicly - if the deal really took place ....???

And why are we "mortals" discuss this kind of somewhat absurd prices? What kind of interest we have if a 250GTO went for $52m, 55m or 55,6456m????

I drove a 250GTO a full day some years ago and was impressed how easy it handles - and thats interests me more.

14. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Well Ferrari has acknowledged this sale - front page of their website.
    So evidently those who say they know, probably don't really know....

I highly doubt Ferrari would publish the article, or the headline, if it weren't true...

Kevin

15. Drive550PFB

Drive550PFB Two Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

This thread is very frustrating.

How about this . . . did a Ferrari of unknown serial number recently change hands for a price in excess of $50 million?

16. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Which carries the implication there has been a recent significant transaction

17. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Don't expect a straight answer. Yes it sold. There you go.....keyboard + internet gives me knowledge
    Lol

18. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  19. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
  20. chipbiii

chipbiii F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 26, 2008
    SC
    Full Name:
    chipb
    Some people believe the Series 1 E-Type is prettier than the GTO. Can you imagine if it had the GTO's marvelous engine and a slightly wider stance?

21. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    You wouldn't have thought so would you, but......

Interestingly Ferrari say in their piece that there were 39 GTOs.

From the Ferrari piece: "Even more impressive is the 49% increase compared to the sale of another of the 39 GTOs produced in Maranello and sold last year."

22. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    I think people put too much weight behind these articles in Ferrari's website, with regards to accuracy. It looks like they employ 3rd party journalists and PR people to write them. I bet they don't check their facts as thoroughly as they probably should.

23. Ashman

Ashman Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2002
    MA
    Full Name:
    John
    Remember that there is a difference between "GTOs" and "250GTOs".

24. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #75 miurasv, Oct 4, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
    Yes, I realise that but it's generally stated now that there were 38, not 39 if you include the 2, and not 3 330 LM (4.0 litre GTO) with 3673SA now discounted as being one.