BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!! LUCKY MOTORS CHICAGO | FerrariChat

BUYER BEWARE!!!!!!! LUCKY MOTORS CHICAGO

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by jmbarba76, Nov 4, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jmbarba76

jmbarba76 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 12, 2009
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Joe B
    BEWARE of this seller!! This guy Mike Salerno and his manager sold my father the biggest piece of **** on the planet. They told him it was a "show car" and in "mint condition". My father paid almost $70k for a 1955 Custom Nomad and when it showed up at the house it was literally falling apart. Carpets stained, filthy dirty, and not even attached to the floor. Speakers hanging out of the door panels. Front bench seat attached with two loose bolts. Paint drips all over the car, every panel. We drove the car to the mechanic and it barely made it there, overheating and pissing anti freeze. Digital dash lit but didnt work, gas gauge reads 70% no matter how full. He told he had a guy in New Jersey that can will look at it and give an estimate to fix the issues. After trying to get the name and address of "his mechanic" he tells me he doesnt have anyone to bring it to. And the kicker is he wouldnt even consider taking the car back, and after haggling back and forth offered 3k back. What a joke! 3k wont even come close to fixing this car! Then after threatening with a lawsuit tells us to "f*ck off" and hangs up the phone. Great way to do business. Good job Mike Salerno and owner Chris whatever your name is. Hopefully someone will read this write up and think twice about buying anything from you. I will post detailed pictures of the car soon.

2. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Posted 2 other places as well?

$70k car?

Did the PPI not catch all this?

3. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    No, 3.

4. SCousineau

SCousineau Guest

Jul 17, 2004
    Full Name:
    S Cousineau
    Was the car inspected by somebody you trust prior to conducting a $70k transaction?
    It is unfortunate that there are shady sellers in this world and because there are it is prudent to verify in some fashion.

5. ilconservatore

ilconservatore F1 Veteran

May 18, 2009
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Did you clarify what kind of show he meant? Freak show, perhaps?

Sorry to hear that but every deal needs an independent review in addition to your own eyes. I've facilitated purchase and sale of several 6 figure cars and even with a ppi and detailed photos, etc, we always find some small thing that we wish we'd asked about prior. Its never something that would be a deal breaker, but nonetheless its unsettling.

My first boss joked that you should never buy a car without handwashing it first. Gives you a chance to spend some time with it close up, and from angles you wouldn't normally see.

6. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    #6 David_S, Nov 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. Noel

Noel F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

post this in the Chicago sub-forum.

8. fc2

fc2 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Nov 2, 2006
    Silicon Valley Ca.
    Full Name:
    Frank C.
    That is so true and, sadly, learned the hard way...

I'm sorry your Dad was sold a car that, in the end, didn't measure up to his (or your) expectations.

Best of luck getting this resolved.

9. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Interesting place, looks like they will sell anything...from <3K cars to used armored trucks and absolutely everything in between. I wonder what they have to say about the 430 they have advertised?

10. jmbarba76

jmbarba76 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 12, 2009
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Joe B
    Yes David that is the car. Not my kinda car but my father loves them. He was really disappointed with it when it showed up. Its not like it was just dirty and needed to be cleaned up, it was a disaster from top to bottom. The salesman told him it was a show car in show condition. Really sad that there are people like this out there on ebay and other places.

11. ilconservatore

ilconservatore F1 Veteran

May 18, 2009
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Link to large pictures

1955 Chevrolet Bel Air Nomad Custom Chicago, Illinois | Lucky Motors

I'm going to be honest, even a cursory review of the interior photos raises a lot of warning flags. This looks like a car that was built in the mid 1990s. Back then it featured the latest catalog goodies, but custom cars like this don't age well. Salesman was probably partially honest - it was a show car once. Sagging door panels, scratched dash trim, yellowed leather, etc. Probably been repainted at least twice since then to correct flaws or suit a new owners tastes.

Without even reading the ad I'll guess its on a corvette C4 platform with the stock engine? Stock 'vette wheels polished up? Dakota digital dash? The latest JVC 10 stack CD player? Your dad probably could have bought a car built in this decade for similar money.

Lots of reasons to be cautious here.

12. ammoman

ammoman Formula 3

Feb 16, 2008
    WINDERMERE FLORIDA
    Full Name:
    ERIC
    On an "as is" sale, he might should have taken the $3000
    What a sad story.
    You should probably get involved and get this fixed right for your dad and turn this into a happy thing instead of the bad thing it is.
    Spend the money and have it brought up to snuff.
    Wish your dad the best.
    Eric

13. Kevin Rev'n

Kevin Rev'n Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 29, 2009
    Honolulu
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Tough to learn lessons like this. Stains are visible in pictures and it would show well if the windows are up and you are in the right zip code. If it were me I would try to flip it as quick as possible for even a 20% loss and then buy one of these.
    http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/chevrolet/nomad

14. desmomini

desmomini F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 18, 2003
    Upstate SC
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  15. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    the carpets are nasty in the pics.....did he look at the pictures?

16. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Hello 55' Corvette front end so not your normal Nomad. Pictures show it somewhat tired with stains on the carpet front and rear scuffing on the speaker bezals, loose weatherstriping. Overall could use some TLC, but not terminal. Outside paint is hard to fully determine from the pics maybe a good color sand and buff, along with some of the interior trim. Still overall a decent car to bring up to snuff.

17. canadianferrarista

canadianferrarista Formula 3

Jan 16, 2010
    Calgary, Ab. Canada
    Full Name:
    Domenic
    In my honest opinion, I will listen to what a seller has to say about their car, but ultimately, I like to see the car in person before I pay for or buy anything......even with a PPI being done.
    I live in Canada and I don't mind flying into the US to look at a car that I am serious about buying.

One persons definition of mint or show car is not the same as another persons definition.

I am sorry your father had a bad experience......some sales people are not as sincere and honest as others......or they have a different caliber of definitions when it comes to the condition of a vehicle.

If it was sold "As Is, Where Is", I don't think there is much that you or your father can do to go after them.......they don't seem like stand up guys if they did not describe the vehicle in an honest way.

I hope it all works out well for your father so that there is an amendable resolution for all parties involved.

18. jmbarba76

jmbarba76 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 12, 2009
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Joe B
    Was told it just needed a vacuum. It was supposed to be detailed before they shipped it. The carpets are so bad they are beyond a cleaning. It needs new carpets, wiring throughout (electrical system is a mess), weather stripping, speakers, headliner, radiator, paint, ..........etc. the list is too long. I will post pics soon. Live and learn, don't buy a car sight unseen and don't trust anybody. You just end up getting screwed.

19. jmbarba76

jmbarba76 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 12, 2009
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Joe B

I would be embarrassed to bring this car to the supermarket. I wouldn't even think about bringing it to a show!

20. full_garage

full_garage Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 15, 2010
    Sarasota Florida
    Full Name:
    Jay
    The sad truth is the burden is on you- the buyer. The car could have been inspected in person for a $300 plane ticket.

This restomod has almost 27000 miles on it- That's like buying a 308 with a quarter million miles on it. Miles on restored cars are like dog years- multiply by 7. I've bought similar Muscle cars with 3,000 miles and had to do major recommissioning. Anyone with some experience buying American Muscle could look at those photos and figure out exactly what they were getting.

I NEVER plunk down my money without either laying eyes on the car or having someone I trust view the car in person. Over $20K you simply MUST do a PPI- get the car to an independent shop- put it on the lift, get a good impartial list of ALL the flaws- compression check, check the overall construction etc.

These guys are dealers- they bought this mess at an auction and flipped it to you for probably $15-$20K more than they paid for it. They're dealers- they don't NEED to lie about their cars...They HAVE TO. It's what they all do.

An expensive lesson buy still a super desirable car. Get it sorted and enjoy it.

21. jmbarba76

jmbarba76 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 12, 2009
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Joe B
    Sounds like a great idea, but neither one of us would ever sell someone a vehicle in that condition. He already has a 56 nomad and wanted a custom one. It's a shame that there are dealers out there that grossly misrepresent their vehicles online. These are the type of guys that give used car dealers a bad reputation. If it were my business I would take the car back and return the buyers money no harm no foul, relist it for sale and hope someone who actually sees the car in person buys it. When I sell a car I tend to focus on its flaws so the buyer knows exactly what he's getting.

22. alexkam

alexkam Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Sunny CA
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Everyone has a different perspective, while someone may overdescribe a classic, others may underdescribe. It's so crucial to lay your eyes on a old car before buying. I'd never buy a classic sight unseen unless I was absolutley certain I knew what I was buying. Before we take a test we study and prepare, well the same should apply when buying a car or any large $ item.

23. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I am amazed that someone would plunk down $70k without some sort of inspection, especially from a seller who is obviously of a certain ilk. "Lucky" motors?
    Even a post in a local enthusiast forum, like here, could have gotten a set of eyes on it for you. Sorry for your grief.

24. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Yup, that should have the first clue- "Lucky Motors" Lucky for whom?

25. Jax419

Jax419 Rookie

Dec 1, 2007
    There are a bunch of "dealerships" like that in Chicago it seems

Exotic motors, chicago motor cars, now lucky motors, auto show case of carol stream..probably a couple more.

When ever I look for a car and an ad from one of those dealers come up, I don't even bother clicking. There are soo many horror stories I've read online about similar dealers.