Next California? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Next California?

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by churchy, Oct 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Also remember that the Maserati QP is using a 515 HP Ferrari Engine, which could be tuned to 550 to place into the new Cali. I would also think they will or should start using a Kers Electric. OTOH, the Cali is the number 1 selling unit in the line up. I highly doubt that this car would be jeaopordized in any manner.

2. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Will the new Cali remain in a 2+2?

3. 430maybe

430maybe Karting

Oct 12, 2012
    Northern England
    Full Name:
    Full Name
    really really hope so. I've got kids - need to put them somewhere

4. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    My thought is they would want to retain one 2+2 with the seat-like things in mine. Since I have no small children or diminutive adults in the house, they make a good place to toss my hat...OTOH, if they need the room to swing the roof open & shut, they might eliminate it. Re the engine, the new QP engine is turbocharged, which may literally cause some to spontaneously start throwing rocks at it (even with 525-550 hp or more).

5. 430maybe

430maybe Karting

Oct 12, 2012
    Northern England
    Full Name:
    Full Name
    Well...... on the other hand, if they do not make it 2+2 it means my 2013 Cali will be worth a lot more in residuals and I wont be buying new one and save a few quid. :)

6. colonels

colonels Formula Junior

Aug 5, 2011
    i don't see any break lines to fold the roof, and i can't imagine how it would fold down with that hatchback window?

7. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    I would imagine that Ferrari maintains the 2+2 cab. Half or more of all Fcars are Cali . They will not hurt this model in any way

8. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    True, it's tough to see how a retractible roof might work. They've got it wrapped in faux carbon fiber, though, which also allows them to place panels & styrofoam underneath to hide design elements as they might wish.

As noted, when the shot was published, people thought it was for an F12 Spider, indicating close-ups disclosed some elements of a folding roof. I'm sure if we had the raw roll of shots, we might be able to determine the car's size & see where it matches or differs from the F12.

With the patent sketches being identified with the next-gen California, whatever this photo is matches that. The timing of the mule's testing also matches the general timeline for a release a year later (e.g., Spring 2014). I've said my ideal car would be a F12 Spider, so maybe Ferrari is building this one for me...

9. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    Does any one have the chocolate leather ?

10. qwertstnbir

qwertstnbir Formula 3

Jul 14, 2013
    If the successor will be turbocharged then current generation will be purchased by customers because better engine sound ?

11. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    No question that it will

12. deppi0

deppi0 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Edmondo
    I am pretty convinced that this has nothing to do with the new Cali....but that's obviously pure speculation. No breaks for the roof, shape cannot accommodate a full folding roof, etc..

13. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    Whatever the new California is, half the people will love it, half will say it degrades the brand, 30% will say they hate it and privately run down to see what it looks like in person, 15% will call their dealer to inquire about the waitlist, 2% will ask about options, 38% will complain about the engine, 26% will complain it takes the fun out of driving with all its modern technologies, Top Gear will snark at it because it's not British, the Chinese will copy it, and the next generation Corvette will mimic its lines in their next version...

14. ConnyF

ConnyF Karting

Jun 27, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Conny
    Word!

If this would be the 2015 California, then it will be a targa. lol

15. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    Hahaha!!! You made me laugh out loud. In my office. Alone.

16. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    And will it be called a California again?

I doubt that it will....

17. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    With the history of why it is named the California, and its resonance with the original 1957-62 250GTO California, it would be tough to imagine them abandoning the nameplate just for a model update.

The 250's were called spiders, but were actually (like their modern counterparts) a cabriolet with a full folding hood (roof). John Von Neumann, Ferraris' West Coast rep, proposed the open variant of the 250 to address the growing popularity of Ferraris in the USA. Chinetti loved it, sold the idea to Enzo, and the car was made.

Not sure why they chose "California" except that Von Neumann was in California (and referred to the "California sun" as a rationale for a drop-top), the Highway 1 drive is similar to the Cinque Terre or Amalfi Coast, and the Pebble Beach road race (which started in 1950) had become popular in the minds of racing enthusiasts. The name has become synonymous with a Ferrari cabriolet GT, so as long as it remains that, I'm thinking the name will also stay.

18. Drifting

Drifting Karting

Jun 28, 2013
    Los Angeles
    LOL

19. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Given Ferrari's history, it would be extremely rare that they would run with the same name again.

20. mtarvydas

mtarvydas Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2011
    On the Mountain
    Full Name:
    Martin Tarvydas
    Techs are being trained in September for the new Cali. Also what I heard is that it will be a new model name

21. Royalpar1

Royalpar1 Formula 3

Oct 18, 2013
    South Florida
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Lombard
    When you say Techs are being trained in September, do you mean 2 months ago ? Any idea on the new specs?

22. mtarvydas

mtarvydas Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2011
    On the Mountain
    Full Name:
    Martin Tarvydas
    Yeah sorry did not use past tense. A bunch of US techs are in Italy right now.

23. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    As I have said previously:

the new name will be the Baja California.
    Salsa red exterior
    Taco brown interior
    Spinner hubcaps
    Dice hanging from the mirror.
    Exaggerated front and rear lifts will be the must have option. ;)

24. ebobh15

ebobh15 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 18, 2012
    With the F70 being named La Ferrari, maybe this one will be La California...

Living in SoCal, the distinction between CA and BC gets blurrier all the time, so the Baja name might be redundant lol...

25. Condor Man

Condor Man F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 8, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Or perhaps it may be called.

La Other Ferrari.....