The Restoration Starts Here: 275GTB Shortnose 07333 | Page 48 | FerrariChat

The Restoration Starts Here: 275GTB Shortnose 07333

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by 275GTB, Apr 6, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    Hi George, hope your feeling better, and get well soon. I hope the restoration thread managed to kill a few hours of boredom while convalescing!

I have enjoyed every part of the restoration and have been very hands on, all the way through the process, from initially stripping the car down, to sourcing parts, restoring and detailing many small parts myself. If i had had more time during the restoration, I would have been much more involved! Due to a change in life, I now have lots of time on my hands, so who knows what the next project will be....watch this space.

To answer you question - the body was absolutely nowhere near bad enough to warrant even the thought of a new body, the restoration was done with the intention of retaining the maximum amount of original metal and shape as possible.

Your other question about the chassis - next time i am down the garage under a ramp with a few different models in the air, i will have a look and see what i can gather. But i am sure there are many others on this forum that are far more qualified to answer than i am.

Also have a look at Michael Sheehan's website - he has a massive library of pictures of cars sold - most of them have pictures of the chassis:
    Cars We Sold - Page 1

cheers
    Mark

2. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    Hi Jonathan, great to meet you today, really enjoyed our chat and thank you for your kind words about the car.

3. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    That's most kind. I was hoping to meet you at some point and it was a real pleasure to do so today and see that car looking so good.

Jonathan

4. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    Excellent!

You sound like a boy who's just be let into his first sweet-shop Mark. :) Delighted it's stirring these kind of emotions. Obviously NOT an anti-climax for you!

Well wear.

5. Darren C

Darren C Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2011
    Chichester, UK
    Hi Mark,

Your brake problem is the air control valve in the servo. I had the very same issue a few years back on a servo I bought secondhand.

Providing the actuating rod free play is set up right, it's got to be the servo air valve. On the servo I had, new seals were put in, including the tiny cup seal on the air valve spindle. Unfrtunately there was some rusting in the bore that it fitted into and it would stick. This would slowly (within a minute) pull the brakes on with the engine running and release them with the engine stopped after a while when the vacuum in the servo collapsed.

It took me a few hours to find as at first I suspected the air valve spring, but it was the rust in the air valve bore that was causing the problem. A little rolled up wet & dry a good clean and light grease it was solved.

Good luck.

Regards
    Darren

6. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    Hi Darren, great stuff! I will pass this info on and have a look on Monday. Will let you know how we get on.

Many thanks

7. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Enjoy the car as much as you can! I didn't realise next year is the 275 anniversary, but something to look forward to indeed.

Gr. Martin

8. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    Yes 50th with an incredible memory for those who were part of the 40 th celebration with the Ferrari Tour. Would be interested to know who still has the same car! For sure Preston Henn with 6885, others don't know. Not me but I have another one, and I think since I had my first GTB I always had one, either 2 or 4 cams , SN or LN! They are so nice multi purpose cars and still reacheable compared to a SWB.

Incidentally it is also the 60 th anniversary of the 300SL Gullwing and the 100th celebration of Maserati...a lot to do beyond the usual!

9. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    #1184 275GTB, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Morning,

All the brake problems are now completely sorted along with the other little niggles.

Woke up to a beautiful sunny morning in London, so I took the car for its MOT - great news it passed with no advisories.

I am now off down to the post office to get the road tax - which for those not familiar with the UK system is free of charge for cars made before January 1973 - its the one and only gracious gesture the government gives to old classic cars and their owners!

Unfortunately i have to be out of the country this weekend, otherwise i would have been out in the 275, lets hope the winter sun stays around for a few days next week.

cheers
    Mark
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. buster bram

buster bram Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2005
    mussolini's Garage
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Fantastic Mark well done look forward to seeing it dirty!!!!!!

Sean

11. Maximus

Maximus Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2009
    Assen, NL
    Full Name:
    Jurgen
    Congratulations Mark, an end comes to this fantastic journey of which we could be part off! I promised you the thread in printable PDF. Could you pass me through your email so I can forward this PDF to you?

Yours,
    Jurgen

12. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Today must have been the MOT guy highlight of the year !!!

13. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    #1188 275GTB, Nov 15, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    We are good to go - after I spend a little time detailing the car properly when i return next week.

I have ordered a period tax disc holder as i am not a fan of the big modern advertising banner one!

cheers

14. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    many thanks PM sent.

15. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    Think it was the highlight of my year!

The MOT guy loves a good classic, he has a very smart FHC E Type.

16. gilach

gilach Rookie

Nov 23, 2009
    60 pages...not bad. probably time to sell and move onto another project my man. do you really like that colour silver? wonder what it would look like in fly :)

17. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    Hi 60 pages on this forum, but when you actually print it out and attach all the coloured photos, it works out to be hundreds and hundreds of pages - already filled 3 leaved arch files.

If you want to buy it and paint it fly, feel free to send me a pm.

18. Vintage V12

Vintage V12 Formula 3

Aug 11, 2004
    You did it!!!. The car looks fantastic. Congratulations. It must be a great feeling to have the car all put back together.
    Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

19. simon klein

simon klein Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2009
    North Qld
    Full Name:
    simon klein
    275 congratulations,Mark.
    Enjoy.

20. Darren C

Darren C Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2011
    Chichester, UK
    Well done Mark!

The car looks stunning. How'd you get the MOT with that small front numberplate?

21. 275GTB

275GTB Formula 3

Jan 12, 2010
    London
    Full Name:
    Mark McCracken
    #1196 275GTB, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
    hi Darren, eeeeeehhhhhhhhh don't know?

maybe because i had her on trade plates at that given time. Never even thought about it to be honest. I can only imagine how ugly a regular legal number plate would look on the front! only other alternative would be to use stick-on plates as i have on the E Type, but even that would spoil the front end look.

Lets hope i only get pulled by a car loving copper!

22. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Looks fantastic Mark, I will look forward to seeing it next year. Please can you post a link or details re the tax disc holder, as it is a job to find a nice one?
    Grant

23. Darren C

Darren C Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2011
    Chichester, UK
    I agree, the smaller plate looks far better than the legal ones. I have had my collar felt half a dozen times for small numberplates, and my MOT centre fail you on the spot for it. I have had a full size set made and keep them in the car now. I change them over each MOT and back again after! When I get stopped by the Police I say "sorry officer, just come back from a show and forgot to swap my show plates back over, my mistake, very sorry I'll swap them back now" (and produce full size plates from boot). This has "worked" twice now and stopped me getting an on the spot fine or points on my license.
    This maybe an idea for you as not all Police are car enthusiasts, some can be very anal over numberplates.

24. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  25. Vincent Vangool

Vincent Vangool Formula 3

Oct 6, 2007
    Zanskar, Kargil district, Ladakh, India
    Full Name:
    Vincent Vangool
    So great to see this car sitting in front of an everyday MOT. That's the first step in driving it, and that backdrop is definitely a daily driver sort of place.

Congrats on getting her rolling.

She sure is perty.