deicing solutions | FerrariChat

deicing solutions

Discussion in '308/328' started by swept, Dec 5, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. swept

swept Rookie

Feb 25, 2013
    BC
    Full Name:
    Ken
    with the onset of icy roads, the road trucks have been spewing out their deicing chemicals...magnesium chloride, or calcium chloride, which dry to a powdery white dust. my question is would you drive your car on these roads if the spray has dried up and the roads are dry?

2. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Only after it rained a few days to wash it away. If it didn't I would use my truck.

3. waymar

waymar Formula 3

Sep 2, 2008
    Northeast, PA - USA
    Full Name:
    Wayne Martin
    I live in the North East and that dust gets everywhere that air does - if you take off a fender panel you would just stare in disbelief - That's why I lease my Benz's now - 30 months and turn them back in - the 308 stays inside until the Spring rains wash it all away.....

4. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    And this stuff is even worst on aluminum. Stay away from it.

5. md88plt

md88plt Karting
    BANNED

Mar 4, 2008
    usa
    Full Name:
    dc
    Heck i wouldnt drive on it. Just think of the enviromental factors that stuff is causing.

6. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    Ditto.

My car is parked period, for the next 5 months.

7. Hotzos

Hotzos Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2004
    Parker, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Gomez
    I drive it on nice days in the winter and spray the bottom off well before pulling it back into the garage. A small price to pay so i can drive it year round on weekends (when there is no snow).

8. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    I did that back when I lived in the midwest (Ohio). Cars rusted after 3-5 years of winter in the '70s and '80s.

Except Italian cars, which rusted after 3-5 hours.

9. Fave

Fave F1 Rookie

Aug 12, 2010
    Tarana
    Full Name:
    L. Ike Hunt
    Was driving on the 401 last week, 16 lanes wide and a cloud of white dust at least 30' in the air over the whole highway. I wanted to go park my F150 never mind driving the GT4.

10. swept

swept Rookie

Feb 25, 2013
    BC
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I guess my thinking was that you need water to react with the deicing chemicals to cause the corrosion...as long as the car stayed dry the dust wouldn't hurt it...however I will play it safe and leave it garaged. thanks for all the responses.

11. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I put my cars away the first time I hear the salt trucks hit the road. That stuff gets everywhere and even if you clean your car off after you are not going to get it all it collects in all the nooks and crannys and works away at the metal.
    I remember one February being behind a Testarossa and I could see the salt just getting thrown up underneath the car and into the engine bay as I was driving behind it.

12. Wonderbrad

Wonderbrad Karting

May 21, 2012
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Bradley Price
    My question is lets say you were out driving and got stuck on a salty road due to a change in the weather and then made it home. what is the best way to remove the salt reside from the car without "activating" the salt by washing it off with water. Is there a soap solution anyone recommends to spray on there to rinse it off? My Alfa had to be pressed into duty over thanksgiving and I have got some salt residue in the undercarriage.

13. lostbowl

lostbowl Formula 3

Apr 30, 2009
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Tom
    We live in Michigan and the car does not see the highway from NOV. to ,if we are lucky May. Stay away from the corosives! Lost

14. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    First if its well below freezing don't put it into a heated garage. Leave the stuff frozen until you can clean it off thoroughly.