360Stradale 6-speed manual conversion | Page 29 | FerrariChat

360Stradale 6-speed manual conversion

Discussion in '360/430' started by alberto, Jul 11, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Unfortunately I don't have spare front guards or the moulds to make them. The cars were very actively raced here, perhaps someone locally might have them. I can ask around if you like.
    I do have the Michelotto front bar and splitter spares; but they would be totally useless on a road car as they give you about 2 inches of clearance from the tarmac. You would need to commission something specifically for your car. Then of course you would need the Michelotto wheels. I've got about 5 sets.

For most people I would suggest it's all way, way too hard and expensive. Hope I've talked you out of it; but happy to try and help if you want to go down that path.

2. little_daz

little_daz Karting

Jul 28, 2012
    UK
    #702 little_daz, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
    Trev, I wonder if the Timate is twice as loud because the Challenge exhaust has to comply with track noise level regulations where some are quite strict? Just a thought.
    Good work, Keep it up.

3. Tomcattmatt

Tomcattmatt Rookie

Jan 21, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Still my favorite car thread ever. Thanks so much 360Trev for your wealth of information.

Do you think it is possible to add valves to a timate exhaust?

Also I looked through the whole thread, do you have a final kerb weight for the car?

4. no8080

no8080 Karting

May 5, 2011
    Uk
    You can use the standard 360 end pipes with valves with the timate silcencer.

I ran my 360 like this, it does help queiten the noise down at low revs, it still loud though.

Neil

5. Technut

Technut Karting

Oct 5, 2008
    Santa Barbara, California
    Full Name:
    Robert L. Skinner
    #705 Technut, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Trev,

I hope all finds you well. I have followed your threads for quite some time. You were quite helpful in my center lock conversion project. Thanks! Pics below (and no, the FXX is not my but one can certainly wish). As part of that project, I updated all of the bushings with Challenge parts and the Challenge sway bar. I'm in the process of pricing out upgrading to the Challenge steering rack.

I'm still struggling with tire selection. Ultimately, I think I'm going to be using the Michelin PSS because I can use 295/35 and 235/35 or 245/35 (which I think might be a tad too wide for the 8.0" front) sizing. The Pirelli Trofeo R requires running a different aspect ratio front and rear. For track events, I'll run Hoosier A6 or R6 tires. The Tire Rack actually has a heat cycling service, so I can get the track tires heat cycled to the manufactures exact specs and then go have fun (assuming I can find a 1" torque wrench with at least a 48" shaft out here!). I'm thinking a race gun set up with a tank that I can tot to the track in the trailer is a better bet. I just have to get someone to agree to sell me some of that stuff on a "friend" the team pricing plan. :)

I had a custom roll bar installed. The bar is designed to the factory spec (can't buy it in USA period - trust me I tried) but using a bit stronger chrome-moly tubing. It's about 18 lbs instead of the 9 lbs of the factory bar, but I think it will be worth the extra weight should I ever actually need it! I post those pictures next.

I'm now keen on doing some additional go fast stuff. I have a custom x-over muffler designed by GMG Racing. Really nice design. I previously used hyper flow cats (back to factory for smog pass but will put them back on after I get my Fabspeed Headers. I will have the headers ceramic coated and also use heat blankets (probably the capristo version). I thinking that ceramic coating the cats (exterior only) might be a good idea. Thoughts? I will likely use capristo cat blankets too.

I'd love to get a set of the carbon axle shields that you had made. Is that possible? Maybe we can get enough interest to do a group buy. Talking about shields, I think the Dimex-Group still offers Imola Racing parts. The airbox heat shield seems interesting (Heat protection shield). Another interesting concept is the louvered F40 styled lexan engine bonnet window (Engine bonnet windows). My biggest concern with the latter is it is so not factory but getting rid of more heat has to be a good thing; assuming, of course, that it really works.

On the induction side, I'm exploring your 10mm spacer idea. Have you dyno-tested that? I'm not sure how to have them made. I assume you just take the gasket to a good machine shop and then use a factory gasket on both sides of the new spacer? Also are you recommending removing the wire mesh from the MAF? Please verify.

Andrea Taurino (Taurino Racing/Capristo) doesn't think this mod will really make much power. He's recommending upsizing the air intake system, which I assume means uprating the suction manifold and manifold covers. Seems like a pricey proposal and could create havoc for keeping the car street "legal." If the CS MAF is the same as the race car (the throttle body has the same part no. 171716 but the MAF has a different part no. 181120 for the CS and 171707 for the Challenge), I'm not clear where this would add anything unless the Challenge Intake manifold is already taller/larger diameter/etc.? I'm wondering if he is talking about converting over to the 430 Challenge suction intakes. He's sending me a proposal, so I'll share that with you when I get it.

How much additional ECU tuning should I explore? The guys at Fabspeed can assist but most of the race guys say not to do that and just stick with the CS maps. As such, the only question is increased revs. I assume the CS map has some kind of limiter that needs to be eliminated or at least pushed out a bit.

Thanks for all the cool stuff you are doing. I really appreciate the help and inspiration.

Forza Ferrari

Rob
    [email protected]
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Technut

Technut Karting

Oct 5, 2008
    Full Name:
    Robert L. Skinner
    Forgot to mention, Andrea was fantastic in helping me with the center lock conversion project. I didn't use his kit. Andrea helped me source all of the race car parts from the stub axle forward! The guys at Ferrari Beverly Hills and Scuderia Corsa have been absolutely fantastic in helping me get all of these mods completed.

7. Technut

Technut Karting

Oct 5, 2008
    Full Name:
    Robert L. Skinner
    #708 Technut, Nov 23, 2013
  8. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    What a great CS!!!! One of the best i've ever seen!

9. Technut

Technut Karting

Oct 5, 2008
    Full Name:
    Robert L. Skinner
    Thanks. I really appreciate that. It makes me feel better because my wife thinks I need a 12 step program of some kind! ��

10. margarita

margarita Formula 3

Mar 20, 2011
    usa
  11. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    By far the most beautiful. I really like the center locks, roll cage and in general the Challenge touches! Oh and don't worry about your wife. Stay calm!! 1st step: put ear plugs...and keep walking!!

:D

12. Scuderia-F1

Scuderia-F1 Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2008
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Anders
    Great mods Technut, I'd really like to see learn more about the work that has been done to your car. Do you have a thread going for this!?

Regards,

Anders

13. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    #714 360trev, Nov 30, 2013
    Hello Rob!

Sorry for the late response to this, better late than never I suppose!

You CS looks fab on those Centerlock challenge race wheels. IMHO such a rare track focused car as the CS should have come with them as standard, would have made the car feel and look even more special just like yours infact :)

I have had some quite life changing events happen in my life since last posting on here. Thankfully very positive ones, for starters I now have a 5 month old son (!) which has had a dramatic effect on my life to say the least! As such I've not had much opportunity to drive, let alone tweak or fettle the car but I did replace all of the coil packs with new ones recently and the previous commissions of CF parts did eventually turn up from the manufacturers. I've just not had time to get back to them and get them to make me some more up (or even see if there is any interest!?)

Here's a picture, I personally think these are just fantastic, and I mean really great, my car now boasts a full carbon (not laminated) rear view mirror casing. Looks amazing in the flesh due to the shape reflecting the light. What do you guys think?

14. little_daz

little_daz Karting

Jul 28, 2012
    UK
    Congratulations Trev!

15. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    congratulations with the birth of your son, and welcome back!!

16. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    It depends on how far you want to go with custom tuning. The 10mm spacers really work and where dyno tested (with appropriate mapping) on a 360 Challenge car. The MAF wire mesh is a very small restriction and actually has some negatives in terms of measuring accuracy so it really is seen as an 'extreme' mod - I did it but not really a bit hitter.

I've spoken to Andrea on a number of occasions over the years [on emails] and in various threads and I believe he is very experienced and your in safe hands.

If you want ultimate in the power stakes things start to get very expensive for minimal gains. If you look at what Michelotto did with the 360GT they removed many of the restrictions such as the air boxes and used ram pipes made from CF directly back from the air intakes at the side of the car. Some bodywork fabricators even made the apertures wider with additional scoops which could be bonded to the car skirts to direct more air in.

The biggest restrictions on the CS start after the enlarged F430/599 air flow meters have been passed, namely the Bosch Throttle Bodies that follow and then the air intake manifold diameter itself. The CS engineers enlarged the AFM's but retained the 360's TB's which are smaller diameter. Don't forget fueling starts to become a problem once your over ~430-440hp as the stock injectors just cannot flow enough fuel reliably (and the 360 already runs higher than normal fuel pressure) so a full custom map becomes essential along with new fuel injectors.

Assuming your getting a custom remap from someone who knows their Bosch Monotronic ECU's well you could replace them for the F430/599 oversized TB's but that would then require additional work to account for the diameter of the tb's being enlarged and then fitting (via a suction hose) onto the red topped air intakes manifold. If this was re-manufactured in CF (I'm looking into this as I've bought a spare engine so I can send this part away) there would be numerous benefits, not to mention weight reduction but also less heat soak too. You could also shape it better so as to improve air flow into the 8 butterfly controlled air intakes themselves. I know some have experimented with this with great effect. Kinetix did this, by increasing the volume of the chamber by 14% and with reduced heat soak they claimed a 12-14 rwhp gain. Michelotto believed a wedge shaped airbox works best to improve the ram air effect (that's also true of the manifold too). Like I said diminishing gains.

The CS maps are the most protective of the engine and easy to install (take seconds to reflash them) - they won't work however if you go down the last 10% route and uprate the injectors, tb's etc. as all the fueling will need scaling appropriately to adjust for the larger injectors. Not many aftermarket ECU's can handle the Ferrari engine well and it gets very expensive and very custom...

If I really wanted genuine extra power I'd consider buying an accident damaged beyond repair 430 Scuderia. And then at your leisure fitting the Scuderia engine/box/ecu/full exhaust/e-diff/e-diff controller/abs/abs sensors and steering wheel. This would give you an easy +100hp gain and benefits of the E-Diff and switchable ESP too.

Ofcourse the obvious way to gain power on the CS is with weight reduction (which is the route I've taken with this project - which is IMHO win win everywhere). Great results are had by fitting the F430/360 Challenge racing parts (just like you've done for your hubs). Several kg's alone just on the door panels, etc. At the extreme end you can pull out a lot (!) with a fully stripped/carbon replaced 360 hovering at around the 1050kg's KERB weight, which is a pretty sensational difference in the handling and performance. Its the equivalent to gaining the extra hp (but everywhere!) not just at a specific point in the rev.range.

zipperkarting likes this.
  17. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Thanks gents... he's fantastic! :)

18. F430giallomodena

F430giallomodena Formula Junior

Mar 2, 2012
    Lugano, Switzerland
    Valence USA? looks terrific...

19. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    No they where custom commissioned by experts whom have experience in F1 spec carbon products. Very happy with the outcome of everything they have made for me so far!

20. Scuderia-F1

Scuderia-F1 Formula Junior

Apr 29, 2008
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Anders
    Looks GREAT Trev, and I'd also like to congratulate you for your son.

Regards,
    Anders.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

21. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    #722 360trev, Dec 15, 2013
    Back @ home for xmas so had time to mess around with a couple more bits of eye candy...

Never bothered to change the standard kick plates over to CF before because I believed the weight saving was minimal at best. Surprisingly the stock kick plates are 900g each (1.8kg the pair). The CF ones are 398g each so 796g's the pair. A simple 1kg banked...

Also couldn't resist a bit of Ferrari titanium optional extra's and just in the process of converting a genuine 360 Challenge central console to work with my H-gate and road car handbrake so that ones a work in progress...

More updates as they happen.

zipperkarting likes this.
  22. Russell996

Russell996 Formula 3

Sep 24, 2010
    New Forest UK
    Full Name:
    Russell
    Trev, I'm surprised you've fallen for form over function - how much heavier are those titanium oil cap and fuel cap than the stock aluminum versions? Resistance is futile. LOL
    Car is looking great!

23. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Lol. When I ordered them I believed they where made from Titanium but they are so heavy ...

Still they look awesome so it just had to be done. Couldn't have you 16M boys having all the eye candy to yourselves ;)

24. 360C

360C F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

You will save even more weight by moulding the aluminium floor panels and replacing with carbon fibre units. Those aluminium floor panels are surprisingly heavy and the c/f replacements will literally blow away in a breeze.

I also did the drivers wheel arch kick plate in carbon fibre. Again the standard aluminium part is very heavy.

Both are easy parts to mould and cheap to reproduce in carbon fibre.