Lancia Flaminia Interest | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Lancia Flaminia Interest

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by leeber, Oct 30, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. philt68

philt68 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    new york city
    Not sure...the car arrives tomorrow from England, so depending when customs releases it, I'll be able to tell you! :)

2. f308jack

f308jack F1 Rookie

Jun 7, 2007
    Cape Town, South Afr
    Full Name:
    Jack Verschuur
    Coldwater,

Thanks much for posting those photos, and I agree, it looks too fussy.

Best,

Jack.

3. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Stunning. Flaminia Zagatos count among some of the prettiest cars ever IMHO.

Phil, I complemented you on your collection and taste in cars before. Now you bought the 037 and the Sport Zagato, it's just getting silly :D

4. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    No, the factory didn't offer any options. Borrani had a wire wheel option of the same size in his after-market catalogue.

5. philt68

philt68 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    new york city
    lol! i know, i slightly feel the same way...:)

but thank you simon, v nice of you to say...

6. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    #31 staatsof, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You are on roll aren't you.

So you're the won who won the lotto eh?

I think you may need one of these ...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Phil, has the car arrived yet? I saw an ad for Duncan Hamilton on the last Motorsport Magazine, and it was featured. Beautful interior on that litte car. Congrats again, and please post some pictures when you can! Would be even nicer if you could picture it with the Stratos & Fulvia!

8. philt68

philt68 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    new york city
    Btw, I see you have an sz! I've always thought they were cool-what's it like to drive?

9. philt68

philt68 Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    new york city
    Car HAS arrived, but needs some expected engine work, so went straight to the shop, which means a month or so while very little happens :)

10. spider85

spider85 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    Ihlow, Germany
    Full Name:
    Klaus Jeschke
    Hello,
    my name is Klaus and I do a full restauration of a 1962 Lancia Flaminia Coupe. The Lancia is a very nice car, with a good finish, high quality materials and very good enginered.
    Some parts are the same like Ferrari used, i. E. Fisa Fuel pump, seats or ash tray.
    Do not hesitate to buy a Flaminia. I don't think, that it is hard to get parts for these cars, if you know the right sources. You can buy all that rubber stuff from cicogniani in Italy. A lot of spare parts are available at cavalito in Italy. They have pistons, engine liners, bearings and so on. Some parts are not listed on the web site, so you should Enrico, what he has in stock.
    Omicron in the Uk is doing a great job in the restauation of the cars, and they know very well how to fix the brakes.
    The gear box is not complicated. If you like to overhaul the engine you still need some speciall tools, and someone how has experiences in this job. I that case, its very helpfull to be a member of a Lancia club.
    Cheers from Germany
    Klaus

11. oss117

oss117 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2006
    Plantation, Florida
    Full Name:
    Alfredo
    Fantastic car: congratulations !!!

12. spider85

spider85 Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    Ihlow, Germany
    Full Name:
    Klaus Jeschke
    #37 spider85, Feb 5, 2014
    71Satisfaction likes this.
  13. B24Spider

B24Spider Rookie

Sep 27, 2008
    Paolo,
    With respect, the Flaminia parts book lists Borrani R1-255 5x400 rims as optional, but I am not sure if that refers to spoked rims or bimetal. The number doesn't correspond to any current numbers. I remember seeing a Touring Flaminia with 16" spoked rims in San Francisco 30 yrs ago.

Phil- Nicely done. Hope to see you out on the road somewhere.
    -Steve

14. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I don't see any mention of Borrani rims in the Flaminia parts book, just early rims for the cars with drum brakes and late rims for all cars with disc brakes. Where do you see a factory listing for Borrani rims as an option?

15. B24Spider

B24Spider Rookie

Sep 27, 2008
    Same page probably, but later edition; variations to December 1969.

16. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    R1-255 5x400 seems to me the code for the Dunlop race tyres....

17. B24Spider

B24Spider Rookie

Sep 27, 2008
    #42 B24Spider, Feb 19, 2014
  18. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    Ok, see under the column "origine", number 18, line 3: 826.232.
    This is the code for the 2800 engine. So the wheel you're talking about is a wire wheel, the same which is in the photo of the Zagato at page 2. This wire wheel is in the Borrani catalogue today, code RW3764.

19. B24Spider

B24Spider Rookie

Sep 27, 2008
    #44 B24Spider, Feb 20, 2014
    Thank you Paolo, I understand the "origine", and reference to the Super Sport (not the 2.8 motor). But that doesn't tell us which rim type, does it?

I have seen more SSs with original bimetal rims than wires, and think it would preferable to find the old numbers off the rims. I may be able to ask someone with Flaminia SS bimetal rims. The later Aurelia wire rims have a (correct/current) part number, but all I've seen on my earlier Aurelia bimetals is "C. BORRANI-165X400-RECORD", with no part number.

Perhaps someone has an old Borrani catalog for reference?

20. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    The original Flaminia wheel adopted by all the models is a standard type in iron made by Borrani, not a bimetal. The Bimetal was a wheel by Borrani specific for the B20s latest series (V and VI). See the French line for the rim: it's a 5Jx400 always, which corresponds to a 165x400 tyre, as the Michelin X for example.

21. B24Spider

B24Spider Rookie

Sep 27, 2008
    #46 B24Spider, Feb 20, 2014
    As well as the standard rims, Borrani also made a Bimetal rim, in period, for the Super Sport, that looks similar to the Maserati 3500 rim. I have never seen them on a Sport (only Amadoris). So the question, for me, is which rim, wire or Bimetal, is the optional SS rim in the parts book? I will try to ask a friend with Bimetals if there are any numbers on his, but he is very busy.

I believe the Aurelia Bimetal was made for the 1st-3rd series (they don't fit the later drums without "effort").

22. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    This isn't the standard wheel for the Flaminia SS, it's an after market product for the SS. The answer is always the same: 5Jx400 because you can't fit anything else that a 165x400 tyre on. The first 4 series of the B20 adopted a standard wheel by Fergat. The Bimetal wheel for the Aurelia doesn't fit on the Flaminia, because the brakes. I suggest you to ask to the Borrani, they 'll solve your problems for sure.

23. B24Spider

B24Spider Rookie

Sep 27, 2008
    #48 B24Spider, Feb 21, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
    Paolo,
    I think you misunderstand me. Let me say that I am very grateful that you write in English, and we are not trying to converse in Italian.

I am not trying to fit any wheel to any car, but simply trying to comprehend what Lancia offered as optional part #2232496/Borrani R1-255. I thought it possible to have been the Bimetal, because I have seem a number of older sets on SSs, implying period, if not original, fitment, and only the one (above, post #21) with a set of 400mm wires. I was merely seeking definitive knowledge.

I added the comment about seeing a set of 16" wires on a Flaminia (Touring) 30 years ago as a statement of fact (ie: I saw them, and that there are variations), though I understand how that might add to the confusion. My apologies for that.

So let me restate my question; which Borrani wheel, wire spoke or Bimetal, was Lancia offering as optional for the Flaminia?

24. PG1964

PG1964 Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2010
    Torino, Italy
    No problem. In 1984 you saw a Touring with 16" wheels (where?). That's impossible for the Italian road rules because the Flaminias have been homologated with the 15" only.
    I already gave you the answer: the optional Borranis (15") wire wheel or bimetal, are the wheels represented in the photos posted at page 1 on the Supersport and in the photos you posted before. Both were 2 options for the Supersport only: the first suggested by Lancia, the second by Borrani.

25. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    The Borrani rims in the chart above HAVE to be bolt-ons, not knock-offs, unless there is also a listing for different hubs, correct? Item #16 in the chart above (post 42) does not list different hubs for the Borrani wheels, so I would assume that the Borrani rims are NOT knock-off wire wheels, and they are a direct interchange for the standard steel wheels. Yes?? No??