The Michael Schumacher Career/Injury/Recovery Thread | Page 4 | FerrariChat

The Michael Schumacher Career/Injury/Recovery Thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by NürScud, Dec 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. crazyblack

crazyblack Karting

Aug 6, 2011
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    This is the hope for 2014, but unfortunately I'm very pessimistic. He's in coma and his wife and the two kids are with him and his father is on the way to grenoble. That sounds not like a pitstop.

2. subirg

subirg F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2003
    Cheshire
    A quick glance at Wikipedia indicates that a cerebral hemorrhage is very bad news indeed. Let it not be so.

3. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian

So true... my colleagues are avid skiers, and everyone of them suffered bad injuries already.

4. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    According to the latest news in the net (Spiegel online- a German magazine) he is in Coma and a surgery is necessary...As source is mentioned the medical staff in Grenoble.
    That sound much worse than the news when this thread started...All the best for him and his family

5. crazyblack

crazyblack Karting

Aug 6, 2011
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    Now the german Bild-Newspaper is reporting he has a emergency surgery (don't know the exact english term)

6. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    I think they're just referring to the "immediate neuro-surgical care" that the management mentioned, but in typical Bild style, of course...

7. tonyswfla

tonyswfla Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 2, 2007
    Florida
    probably has a subdural hematoma and is getting a craniotomy to remove the blood clot and reduce the swelling in his brain.
    he will be kept unconscious for a while until swelling is reduced
    hopefully he can regain consciousness

but...not all do

8. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    A majority of first news reports about an event will be inaccurate and/or have miles of omissions due to lack of communication or knowledge. And some information is intentionally withheld particularly in the case of celebrity figures. The families don't want the added noise to an already gut-wrenching ordeal. No doubt this is serious, however. A head trauma and coma are never minor events. I feared the worst initially but realize that doesn't do any good. He needs positive energy.

9. crazyblack

crazyblack Karting

Aug 6, 2011
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    I don't think so. Spiegel-Online is reporting, that he was in coma upon arrival in hospital in grenoble and a immediate surgery was necessary.

10. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    My thoughts & prayers are with Michael Schumacher & his family after learning of his horrible skiing accident.

11. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    C'mon Michael, you've done the fast laps when called upon before. Now we need you to pull another

12. kraftwerk

kraftwerk Two Time F1 World Champ

May 12, 2007
    England North West
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I ski and I have for many years, I have taught folk to ski and it is or can be dangerous, but I suspect the folk you know are young hot shots, I have many friends who ski who haven't had injuries.

On a list of 20 I know, 1 broken leg - woman, and 1 popped out his shoulder, we managed to shove it back in.

I personally have had a lot of wipe outs at speed and was okish on most, the one where I had serious air, lift off I sh$t myself and landed badly with whip lash banged my head no helmet that was the worst one.

I really hope MS is ok but if he was off piste it puts you instantly at more risk.

No news good news I don't know, but that is what I'am really hoping in this case.

13. Greg-NWO

Greg-NWO Rookie

Jun 5, 2012
    Terrible news, I hope he pulls through. Thoughts and prayers for him and his family.

14. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    Exactly. It is always a "broken collar bone" or "broken arm." Or their foot was locked in the skis and their ankle snaps in half. And death occurs seemingly easily when skiing. So forget it.

15. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Yes, but that's the same, isn't it? The press release and Spiegel call it "immediate surgical care", Bild writes "EMERGENCY SUGERY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :)

16. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

Gotta believe he'll pull thru.

Come on Michael, you can do it!

As for skiing/boarding being 'dangerous', a debate for another time. Suffice to say many more are hurt bicycling or crossing the street (percentage wise).

17. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Sad and frightening.

I'm very worried.

18. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    They are young hot shots, yes, but a 100% quota is frightening nonetheless! We had a skiing week in school when I was 13, in the Austrian Alps... at the end, there was a "race", with 7 groups (from best to worst) à 7 people. I ended up 7th in the 7th group, and ended my promising skiing career right there ;)

Edit:
    Agree, Ian - sorry for OT.

19. atomicskiracer

atomicskiracer Formula 3

Mar 30, 2005
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Ehh, lots of factors at play with this. I was a ski instructor, ski patroller and was a nationally ranked ski racer for my college (hence my screen name)..while there are certain risks there are lots of things that can be done to mitigate your risk as with any "action hobby"

As far as schumi is concerned, without knowing the context of his coma (whether he was conscious on arrival or if it was medically induced) it's hard to really know his potential outcome.

20. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Formula 3

Jun 28, 2004
  21. crazyblack

crazyblack Karting

Aug 6, 2011
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    No, it's not the same. Spiegel isn't writing surgical care. They now writing "immediate intervention/surgery" upon arrival because he was in coma.

22. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    This is horrible. I don't even know what to say. I just hope he pulls through this without brain damage.

23. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    My apologies - you're right, they edited their article. Worrying!