The Michael Schumacher Career/Injury/Recovery Thread | Page 9 | FerrariChat

The Michael Schumacher Career/Injury/Recovery Thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by NürScud, Dec 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
    The latest updated news from Motorsport report that under the care of Professor Gerard Saillant, a brain and spine injury expert, Michael Schumacher remains in critical condition after undergoing brain surgery.

The Grenoble Hospital released a statement Sunday night: "Michael Schumacher suffered a serious head trauma and arrived in a coma, making it necessary for him to undergo a neurosurgical procedure."

2. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Per Google Translate...

The impact on the stone must have been very violent . Even at the accident site , there have been directly bleeding from the skull , even though he was wearing a helmet . He's been unconscious immediately after the accident , but then again come to himself and was responsive . The accident must have been observed of plurality of people , since the aid was created by a third party. The first responders who then called directly the helicopter. When did he then fell exactly into a coma , I can not say , but it was the first hospital. He was then flown already in a coma lying to Grenoble. The extent to which bleeding have caused brain damage is not 100% clear to me , but I take it out from the phone calls to no good . From personal experience with a similar case of intracranial bleeding with my father at the age of 54 , I know the procedure . Also, we have been called to the hospital at that time . Ultimately, the doctor told us it is a matter of hours until the brain shuts down by the massive damage the bleeding. Everything reminds me striking it. The coma is at least not artificially induced to stabilize . He is currently supplied by machine.​

:(

3. DriveAfterDark

DriveAfterDark F1 Veteran

Jan 1, 2007
    Norway
    ^"Horrible" doesn't even cover it, this sucks :(

4. nathandarby67

nathandarby67 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 1, 2005
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    Nathan
  5. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    Our prayers are with Michael and his family.

6. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks

Very foreboding\ominous post. Best wishes but this sounds pretty tough. Nothing is impossible, but it clearly looks like a very grim day approaches.

I will keep positive thoughts until there is no reason to do further...

7. Mulehead

Mulehead Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2012
    Come on schumi

8. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    #208 WJHMH, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. crazyblack

crazyblack Karting

Aug 6, 2011
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    In Germany we have 3am, so there will be no more news. I hope, I will get no phone call during the rest of the night.
    I pray, he will stay with us.

10. Remy Zero

Remy Zero Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2005
    KL, Malaysia
    Full Name:
    MC Cool Breeze
    Meaning the machine is keeping him alive?

This is so sickening...

11. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Is the implied life support the same or different than intubation?

Regards,

Art S.

12. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Fight Michael fight. Prayers for you and your family

13. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    I was going through my photo's from the 2012 USGP and could not remember which car he rode in. I thought he had to get out because his wouldn't start and ended up with Kimi. Am I wrong?

Prayers going out for his full and speedy recovery.

14. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

yes but it is needed to keep him alive and if there is any hope of recovery...the respirator will allow his brain to have time needed to heal and he stays with us.

fingers crossed rem!!

15. crazyblack

crazyblack Karting

Aug 6, 2011
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Oliver
    This is, what i don't know exactly. I didnt understand it correct, because of hysterical reactions and screaming during the calls but i think so.

16. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

thank you for helping us all stay up to speed. we will all hope for a brighter day tomorrow.

good night.

pcb

17. Vanquish80

Vanquish80 Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2011
    Germany,Switzerland
    Schu has been flown by helicopter, so I think putting him in an artificial coma and intubing before the flight could have been done due to medical reasons. I really hope so.

18. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Sounds like the coma wasn't induced...

19. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    C'mon Schumy. Pull through.

20. Fastviper

Fastviper F1 Rookie

Nov 20, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Dash
    Man this sucks... I am sad. I pray he makes it through...

My dad died of the same injury. Tough road ahead either way.

21. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    excerpt from:
    Coma: Types, Causes, Treatments, Prognosis

What Is a Coma?

A coma is a prolonged state of unconsciousness. During a coma, a person is unresponsive to his or her environment. The person is alive and looks like he or she is sleeping. However, unlike in a deep sleep, the person cannot be awakened by any stimulation, including pain.

What Causes a Coma?

Comas are caused by an injury to the brain. Brain injury can be due to increased pressure, bleeding, loss of oxygen, or buildup of toxins. The injury can be temporary and reversible. It also can be permanent.

More than 50% of comas are related to head trauma or disturbances in the brain's circulatory system. Problems that can lead to coma include:

Trauma: Head injuries can cause the brain to swell and/or bleed. When the brain swells as a result of trauma, the fluid pushes up against the skull. The swelling may eventually cause the brain to push down on the brain stem, which can damage the RAS (Reticular Activating System) -- a part of the brain that's responsible for arousal and awareness.

Swelling: Swelling of brain tissue can occur even without distress. Sometimes a lack of oxygen, electrolyte imbalance, or hormones can cause swelling.

Bleeding: Bleeding in the layers of the brain may cause coma due to swelling and compression on the injured side of the brain. This compression causes the brain to shift, causing damage to the brainstem and the RAS (mentioned above). High blood pressure, cerebral aneurysms, and tumors are non-traumatic causes of bleeding in the brain.

Stroke: When there is no blood flow to a major part of the brain stem or loss of blood accompanied with swelling, coma can occur.

Blood sugar: In people with diabetes, coma can occur when blood sugar levels stay very high. That's a condition known as hyperglycemia. Hypoglycemia, or blood sugar that's too low, can also lead to a coma. This type of coma is usually reversible once the blood sugar is corrected.

Oxygen deprivation: Oxygen is essential for brain function. Cardiac arrest causes a sudden cutoff of blood flow and oxygen to the brain, called hypoxia or anoxia. After cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR), survivors of cardiac arrest are often in comas. Oxygen deprivation can also occur with drowning or choking.
    Infection: Infections of the central nervous system, such as meningitis or encephalitis, can also cause coma.

Toxins: Substances that are normally found in the body can accumulate to toxic levels if the body fails to dispose of them correctly. As an example, ammonia due to liver disease, carbon dioxide from a severe asthma attack, or urea from kidney failure can accumulate to toxic levels in the body. Drugs and alcohol in large quantities can also disrupt neuron functioning in the brain.
    Seizures: A single seizure rarely produces coma. But continuous seizures -- called status epilepticus -- can. Repeated seizures can prevent the brain from recovering in between seizures. This will cause prolonged unconsciousness and coma.

22. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    so sad. wish him a complete recovery

23. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    +1

If anyone can, he can.

I really want to hear good news in the morning.

24. 4re Nut

4re Nut F1 World Champ

Mar 27, 2004
    N of NOLA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I'm sorry for thinking the worst but I keep hearing...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxPj3GAYYZ0]Eric Clapton - Tears In Heaven (Official Video) - YouTube[/ame]

:(

25. HamFan

HamFan Formula Junior

Jul 19, 2008
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Janne
    It's Schumi so lets not forget he has incredible willpower and he will get through this!