The Michael Schumacher Career/Injury/Recovery Thread | Page 19 | FerrariChat

The Michael Schumacher Career/Injury/Recovery Thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by NürScud, Dec 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
  2. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    If they know when the injury occured and start treatment within a couple of hours, they can administer clot busters to prevent that being an issue, at least in stroke victims. Shouldn't be a big issue here. However, at this point it's not a question of whether there is brain damage, it's a question of how much. With the speed of response, hopefuly it's not extensive but the muscle spasms and loss of consciousness so soon after injury don't bode well at all imo.

3. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Thx florian: need to renew my subscription....

4. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    #454 Far Out, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
  6. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    that was a mine field to ski!

7. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    That looks pretty tame by Western United States standards. I saw him in Monterey last year and the two things that stuck me were how small he was and how athletic he looked. very similar to Lance Armstrong. I hope he has a fast recovery.

8. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

sad but I cannot help myself from wondering which ski tracks belong to MS.

9. Shorn355

Shorn355 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 13, 2011
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Like everyone else I have not been able to focus much at home or at work since hearing of this news.

Same feelings I had that horrible weekend in 1994 although the waiting was much less then.

All I keep thinking is if anyone could survive something like this it would be MS given the insane level of physical conditioning he always mainitained and obviously he has the best of the best attending to him. Modern medical technologies, processes and talent can pull off miracles.

Like most I have a feeling of helplessness yet (silly I know) somehow feel "close" to MS - probably just due to idolizing him and feeling like somehow I was a distant part of his victories every time I donned my Scuderia hat and annoyed my GF by blasting F1 races through my TV at all hours of the night and "popping the cork" on mini-Pellagrinos before heading off to work after an MS victory.

All most of us can do is send positive thoughts and remember that each day is a gift regardless of who you are.

Forza Michael

10. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    Not at all what I had assumed after reading the reports. I thought he went off the back of a mountain and was doing big cliff skiing or something like that. Reports did say "Extreme skiing". It doesnt look like he could have been traveling very fast through the rocks. However, as a once serious skier, I know pictures of slopes can be misleading.

Its all so damn sad. He was very kind to my wife and me when we met him at a dinner in Monza. I bought him a bottle of wine and still have the receipt. He was so thankful he stopped us in the bar on the way out and chatted for a while. He even let us take our pictures with him before he was off to the hospital to see Ralf who was burnt in an accident that day.

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    #461 BigTex, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
    Probably none of those, Pete....the mountain changes every day.

The danger of those rocks (hard to see from up mountain) is the softening of snow around them when they warm in the sun. Trees do the same thing, and make deep wells of void in the snow pack, you can trip right into them. (..and maybe sprain both thumbs at the same time, in my case)..

That is certainly not "off piste skiing" which in Europe is almost an entirely different sport than a North American resort experience.

I sure hope he pulls through, just to live his life.

Terrible irony in his retirement, to enjoy his time.
    Thinking of his children and wife also.

Thanks, Bas for your attack on that FB page.

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Lacking fresh snow, you seek those routes to get the 'float" of powder skiing, those trails are hard packed base, and even icy early in the day.

Salvaging a 'no snow" day, basically.

13. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Awesome story - post those photos please!

14. treedee3d

treedee3d F1 Rookie

Apr 1, 2011
    Montreal
    Full Name:
    Fab
  15. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    That was 2004 and im not sure if that was with a digital format or film. It took my wife (with a photography degree from R.I.T) a long time to be satisfied with digital. I may see if she has time tonight to look back and see if they are digital pics that can be uploaded here.

16. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    Typical Facebook rubbish for you which is why I deactivated my account last year. But even at that, I can't believe they're even allowing that... but wait... yes I can.

Nothing is sacred or hallowed on Facebook except for unrestrained tabloid-like social media banter. Someone should contact the Admin and file a complaint as that page is spam and entirely disrespectful. What ass!holes they are.

17. CRG125

CRG125 F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2005
    Los Angeles, Ca
    Full Name:
    Vivek
  18. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Ditto, not what I expected at all from the reports - he wasn't off-piste, he was on the edge of a normal run, and not a very steep run at that. As someone else pointed out, those rocks are no big deal either, plenty of skiers will deliberately ski through those to find softer or untracked snow. That type of terrain is routinely skied here in Western Canada, and by the looks of it in Europe as well. Just from the location, I'd say MS was doing nothing unusual or risky as far as that location or terrain goes. It could be as simple as catching an edge with a bit of speed and falling just coincidentally where a rock was protruding from the snow.

Qualifier - I was on the ski patrol at Lake Louise in Banff National Park in the Canadian Rockies for 15 years. There's nothing unusual or particularly dangerous about that terrain shown in the photos, including the rocks. Mountains have rocks all over them. There was a quote in one news report from a representative of Meribel saying something along the lines of "This is a good example of why people should stick to the groomed runs and not ski off-piste". What an idiot, whoever made that statement should be fired - not just for being rude and insensitive, but for not even knowing what he was talking about with respect to where Schumacher was skiing.

Looking at the ski tracks (assuming those pictures were taken the same day as the accident), there's no sign that the rescue tobaggan was in that rocky area, only on the edge of the ski run beside the rocks, so Schumacher wouldn't have been in the rocky area either. The snow marks from a ski patrol work scene around an accident victim is pretty extensive and obvious.

19. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Even good old Billy Clinton has come to twitter and offered his prayers.

That's cool.

20. Splitting Atoms

Splitting Atoms Formula 3

Sep 18, 2011
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I would have skied through the rocks to catch some of the powder, particularly when I was in my "indestructible" 20s. It doesn't look like he was doing anything too risky to me.

21. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Thanks for that. This really got to me, for some reason...

https://twitter.com/billclinton

22. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

23. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    What a sad way to end this year and start a new one.

I don't feel like going to any New Years celebration anymore

24. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Here's to a quick recovery.

25. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Agree.

Couldn't care less about the 2014 season either...