The Michael Schumacher Career/Injury/Recovery Thread | Page 25 | FerrariChat

The Michael Schumacher Career/Injury/Recovery Thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by NürScud, Dec 29, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. selvatico

selvatico Karting

Sep 17, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Damien Laframboise
    +1.

FORZA SCHUMI!

2. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, we would need a lawyer (do we really need one?) qualified in these matters but I would guess that the sole owner of the medical secret, that is MS himself, is at this point unable to free the doctors of their obligation to keep the secret, so my GUESS is that the Doctors are only allowed to mention what is a direct consequence of what everybody could have publicly observed.

Outside the medical domain itself, remember that the french Law in general is still very protective of privacy (sometimes for the best, sometimes for the worst). The right to privacy is taken very seriously here.
    Movie stars, politicians usually sue tabloïds, newspapers, paparazzis at the slightest violation of their privacy, and usually are able to obtain quite high amounts of damages in court (free of income taxes).
    Some movie stars in particular are so good at suing at the slightest incident that there live a very happy and secretive life.

Rgds

3. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    According to the NYT report just out the docs report that the second surgery relieved some cranial pressure and removed some clots. The pressure is still higher than optimal and there are clots in unreachable areas. While this isn't the best of news they feel that they've bought some time and a good result is still possible.
    Truth is that in these cases they just can't predict.
    Godspeed Michael.

4. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Not sure if this has been repeated here yet, but Fox just reported he's had a second surgery now and is showing small signs of improvement. No prognosis possible yet, but signs of bruising all over the brain.

Apparently, he hit one small rock which catapulted him, flipped him at high speed into another rock head first. Very, very bad luck.

5. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    David,

Seems a direct translation of what was said in french this morning during the press conference by the surgeon: (notice that he says in French: "il y en a de tous les côtés" meaning: "there are blod clots everywhere")

"On a évacué un hématome dans le cerveau lui-même. Il y en a dans tous les côtés. Cet hématome à gauche était plus volumineux et heureusement plus accessible donc on pouvait l'évacuer sans prendre de risque et contrôler la pression intra-crânienne», a déclaré le professeur Emmanuel Gay, qui a dirigé l'intervention.

Some more information for those reading french here:

Schumacher : « en légère amélioration », mais « pas hors de danger »

Rgds

6. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Can't believe this type of stuff....

A journalist dressed up as a priest in order to sneak into Michael Schumacher’s hospital room, it has emerged.

The unnamed German reporter was expelled from the hospital where the seven-time Formula One world champion is being treated after the deception was noticed.

‘Apparently a journalist dressed as a priest had tried to gain access to Michael’s room,’ the 44-year-old’s spokesperson Sabine Kehm told Die Welt.

7. Jimi900

Jimi900 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Tulsa, OK
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EQYimzsaW0]Michael Schumacher Tribute - When Words Are Not Enough - YouTube[/ame]

I just thought it was time to cut the mood and raise the spirits some. I just want to see Schumi jump with his arms raised to sky one last

Jim

8. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    I heard the hematoma to the left side of his brain was easily removed last night but he is STILL bleeding, but it's apparently controlled?

9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    That's what seems to have been implied this morning during the press conference, John:

"11h21: «Encore beaucoup d'hémorragies et hématomes dans le cerveau»
    «Il y a encore beaucoup d'hémorragies et hématomes dans le cerveau», affirme le chirurgien du CHU de Grenoble"

"11h21 "still at lot of hemorrageas and blod clots in the brain"
    "There are still a lot of hemorrageas and blod clots in the brain", state the surgeon of Grenoble's CHU.

Rgds

10. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    A tiny little bit of good news to wake up to!

Again, I was dreading logging in, and gotta be honest, when I saw the thread had grown by 4 pages in a few hours was barely able to look..... Went back and diligently read everything from what I'd last read, and this happened to be at the top of the second page.

A little 'woot' as italiafan is one of the more knowledgeable on the topic! Thanks!

I'll take any tiny sliver of good news right now.

OK, we know he's still critical, but the reports of 'extremely grave' was **** journalism and not from any medical releases, correct? As someone noted, there's a world of difference in the medical world.

He's fighting like we knew he would.

Cheers,
    Ian

11. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    So is this good news or bad?

12. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Quote Dr. Hartstein:

From the media reports here, they removed the superficial hematoma on the left side of his skull. There are smaller ones deeper inside which are apparently less critical, not easy to reach and thus they're left alone.

13. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Yes, all of that has been heavily repeated here. We've seen the piste map etc and details of the second operation, I suspect within minutes of the news coming out.

I know it's got to be a *long* thread, but with all due respect, please read back some before adding nothing to it other than making it longer yet!

Sorry to be whiny here, but I and many others here are pretty much unable to focus on anything else right now and are keeping bang up to date with *true* breaking news.

Cheers,
    Ian

14. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    I'm stunned this has happened, that the injury is so bad. Hitting your helmeted head on a rock skiing doesn't typically cause this level of damage. Michael must have been moving fast.

God I'm hopeful he pulls through.

-F

15. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    The reports are saying that he was not moving fast at all but that he caught a rock and it catapulted him against another rock.

16. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Nope. Read back thru the thread; Sabine reported he'd helped a buddy get up after a fall and was NOT going fast. Simply caught a rock which threw him onto another at the absolute worst possible angle. No 'craziness', no 'cliffs', just terrible, terrible luck it seems.

17. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Thanks Florian.

I guess he remains day by day, if not hour by hour. But AFAIK none of the medical team (either involved or even those speculating) have used the term 'extremely grave', which has awful connotations in that community.

But again, as a complete outsider, I've got to believe the longer it goes on, even in a deeply induced sleep now, the better.

Cheers,
    Ian

18. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Any positive progress news is good. And we all know what every cell in this guys body is programmed to do. I hope to see him wake up on January 3 and say 'where's my birthday cake?"

19. furmano

furmano Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2004
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Furman
    In order for this to be just bad luck, a trip up, requires a critical failure in that helmet. Regardless, as with everyone else I'm in a state of shock and need to just be patient.

-F

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That was beautiful...thumbs up, to David.

Thanks for bringing that in here. We are like a gathered mass of well wishers, if we were gathered at the hospital with candles in vigil, it would be quite impressive.

Instead we gather here, and wait with hope..

It brings into a sharp focus, the difference between sport, and life.

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    None!
    I think it's all still there. :rolleyes:.:..it's the opposite really, there's no room for swelling within the skull, so they have to open some venting to let the excess fluids out...

But, thanks for making me smile, in all of this.

Thanks also to nerofer, as I suspected he was very familiar with this mountain, making the mishap all the more uncommon and tragic. As I posted earlier the mountain changes every day.

22. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    John G
    Perhaps Braun can orchestrate the engineering of new materials for Michael as he may have several 'body panels' removed. May he make his ultimate comeback with the world's finest & cutting edge technology in him.

23. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
  24. VisualHomage

VisualHomage F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2006
    San Antonio
    Just some thoughts I have on the nature of the crash: Many accidents' injuries occur under seemingly benign conditions or what appears to be minor conditions. From kung fu, for example, it is not necessarily how fast or hard you hit someone inasmuch as where you hit them and how you hit the right spot for maximum damage. This appears to be the case here. He hit just right, with the perfect angle and enough force, to create the perfect trauma and helmet cracking. He also hit against immovable and jagged rock. Therefore the surface gave none and his head area with helmet absorbed virtually 100% of the force.

If you've ever bumped your head in the dark on a doorway or something above then you can already see how amazing and forceful the damage is from just merely walking normally into an immovable structure. Now multiply that by a factor of skiing speed---even if slowly skiing. It then worsens when your skis or legs stop, lock up/twist, and your upper body pivots over and slams into the rocks with your head at the extreme receiving end of the centripetal force and momentum.

Until witnesses come forth and give statements we don't actually know how he hit or led into the crash exactly. But we are all praying that he wakes up and goes through the necessary therapies to continue leading a quality life.

25. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound