Modern Homes Picture Thread... | Page 51 | FerrariChat

Modern Homes Picture Thread...

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by TG, Mar 29, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Protouring442

Protouring442 F1 Veteran

Sep 5, 2007
    Harriman, TN
    Full Name:
    One Stupid SOB
  2. Midnight Oil

Midnight Oil Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 29, 2006
    Currently having a house built, modern/contemporary design, very similar to many of the homes in this thread.

Mix of flat roofs/barrels and some angles. The barrels will have metal on their roofs, but I was wondering if you guys had any insight or ideas on what could look cool for the other roofs which are flat and angled?!

3. NürScud

NürScud F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2012
  4. 355_guy

355_guy Karting

Dec 1, 2008
    Unbelievable. I was just reading an article online that the architect who designed this place, Gerhard Becker, was sentenced to a year in prison for killing a firefighter when this place burned down because of an illegally installed fire place.

Architect Gerhard Becker Faces Manslaughter Charges After a Firefighter Died Trying to Save His Home - Page 1 - News - Los Angeles - LA Weekly

5. Kubes

Kubes Formula Junior

Dec 26, 2011
    Phoenixville PA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
  6. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Amazing :)

7. NWaterfall

NWaterfall Formula Junior

Aug 2, 2009
    The Track
    Full Name:
    Waterfall
  8. lamar

lamar Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2004
    montpellier/france
  9. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
  10. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    very cool! I just devoured this issue of Dwell on an airplane last week, and just jumped back into this thread tonight! I don't have it in front of me, but what was the treatment on the interior cedar? an orange beeswax?

11. race4s

race4s Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    Hudson Valley
    #1261 race4s, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks.

Yes, after much debate we picked the Orange Bees Wax.

You can see how bland it is unfinished. With the Orange Bees Wax it really brings out the woods richness and texture.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    #1262 TheBigEasy, Jan 27, 2014
    This is my 'perfect' house... Exactly my dream style and location... Drool... :eek:

13. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    Amazing home

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk

14. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
  15. TheBigEasy

Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    #1265 TheBigEasy, Feb 15, 2014
    Another one I really like:

16. rusty2010

rusty2010 Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2009
    avon in.
    Full Name:
    rusty
    This is a very nice home. Everything is very clean and easy to look at. Did you notice the 3 small sculptures in the niche behind the desk?

17. FrostyAK

FrostyAK Formula Junior

Aug 6, 2005
    Anchorage, AK
    I really like this kind of architecture and modern design. I love the incorporation of high quality wood and exposed metal. There has been a push for this in pacific northwest architecture, here in the US, for some time. Even some of the Alaskan work has been published recently. Thanks for posting these... they are awesome.

18. mattymouse33

mattymouse33 F1 Rookie

Oct 25, 2004
    We'll set aboot ye!
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    I read this thread regularly and am soon enough about to embark on my own major build. It's a 45 acre flooded quarry but I can go into details later. I was hoping perhaps some of you could share your opinion.

I live in Scotland, weather isn't the greatest however we do have some lovely days during the summer, a lot of rain and some snow etc during the winters. My design is about to be put to paper vis architect but I want to know something about flat roofs.

I see so many beautiful modern designs with flat roofs and large overhangs coming off the roofs. Are these built purely in areas where they experience no wind or hardly any rain?

Do the large overhangs serve a purpose? Design or shading?

It will be a steel built framed house, possibly several, but I just don't know if the roof designs which are the ultra modern kind of ones or ones like falling waters etc, whether they would work in Scottish climates?

Thanks

Matthew

19. bluedog111

bluedog111 Karting

May 5, 2009
    GTA
    I am not sure whether your primary question is related to wind, snow load or sunlight & protection from direct sunlight?

With steel construction you shouldn't have any problems with wind or snow loads. The architect should hire an engineer to design the steel structure. Make sure duct runs are accounted for, ask for open web steel joists if concerned.

The direct light protection is nice during the summer months and can be annoying when the sun is low during the winter months. install shade blinds. They come in many levels of shading and still allow you see out during the day.

20. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    One thought is that flat roofs are angled to storm drains but you see an edge wrapped around the parameter that is higher than the actual surface. Does this make sense? Any dev / architect will have a tried answer. Please share pictures when applicable... sounds like it will become a really great property.

21. rusty2010

rusty2010 Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2009
    avon in.
    Full Name:
    rusty
    The large overhang had a purpose in the beginning, too shade the windows from the summer sun. In the winter the sun is much lower and allows the light in. Like TG wrote, the roofs may look flat but they're generally sloped. The Architect designs a parapet detail to conceal this. Every region and design will require a different approach to the construction technique. I been to Falling Walters and it is truly a beautiful masterpiece. The cantilevered sections had to be reinforced in 2000. This was due to Wrights stubbornness and technology. It's mind boggling on what an Architect and Engineer can build today and the cost is appropriate. I think it's a matter of how much you want to spend for the unique design vs. the functionality of the home. All the best and keep us informed.

22. bluedog111

bluedog111 Karting

May 5, 2009
    GTA
    All flat roofs should have a 2% slope. Parapets are not necessary unless drainage control is required. I have a cottage built this way. It works fine and I like the way the water comes off the roof in sheets. Some of the overhangs are 20 feet but have a reverse roof angle of about 18 to 1. The windows below them are 16 feet high and direct light is not a problem.

23. Dodici Cilindri

Dodici Cilindri Formula Junior

Feb 21, 2006
    Great Plains
    As far north as you are the question of overhang is more aesthetic rather than solar control. Get as much light into the structure as you can. It is far easier to trim it down than to enlarge.
    A flat roof is defined as 1/8" rise for every 12" of run or 1 in 96. Nearly all commercial buildings today, that you think have a flat roof, actually utilize a taper rood system that directs the water to specific points for collection. All of this is behind the parapet, which is what you see. A taper roof system can be use for residential structures. I would suggest that you look at the Irwin home of Indianapolis, Indiana. The home was designed by Saarinen, you can find it on you tube.

24. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas