Official Countach Value Thread | Page 103 | FerrariChat

Official Countach Value Thread

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Peter K., Feb 17, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    These cars were symbols of wealth and power when new, and I fully expect them to do the same going forward in the long run.

Muscles were for the hard working, blue collar American man. And thus the prices overtime should reflect that. Lets be honest, some Russian oligarch, or Chinese wealth coming into the market for cars probably wont be looking at a GTO Judge or a Hemi Cuda. But will they look at Lussos, Countach, Miuras and on and on as automotive milestones from a bygone era of motoring? I think the odds are in your favor that the good cars dont become just some old car......

This is general and not to say that the market cant go up and down. But in the long run, people will look back at this era with all their wonderful hand cast parts, wonderful sounds ect favorably as somewhat living works of art. I'm into these cars for the long haul, and to enjoy them fully along the way.

Time will tell all though. Just my thoughts of course.

2. smglop

smglop Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2005
    I wonder if the ever increasing prices for new cars from the factory has brought more interest in the old cars.

3. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Ashley
    More to do with steep depreciation on most new metal

4. Chadbourn Bolles

Chadbourn Bolles Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    Leesville, SC USA
    Full Name:
    Chadbourn Bolles
    Friend has a 25th 1989 carbs, repaint, been sitting for years. NOT in North America.
    Any thoughts on value, A: Like it is. B: with fresh paint and detailed out.
    Chadbourn Bolles
    803 532 6257
    email: [email protected]

5. triple-x

triple-x Formula 3

Jun 4, 2009
    Full Name:
    Mr.Platinum
    Contact Luigi and see if he's interested in adding another to his stable. He just added another one last weekend. He's got 3 CT's going on 4.

6. Spyder-Man

Spyder-Man Formula 3

May 11, 2004
    UK
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Amelia Island Countach QV went for 290k dollars
    R

7. jollygood

jollygood Formula 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Full Name:
    jollygood

Yeah, 290k + 10% premium...

8. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Estimate was $325,000 - $375,000. So at $290,000 it sold for $85,000 or around 30% below high estimate.

9. jollygood

jollygood Formula 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Full Name:
    jollygood
    Wonder why?

10. jollygood

jollygood Formula 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Full Name:
    jollygood
    It's a indeed a real pleasure seeing the British RM auctioneer in action, working. He is fantastic. Compared to other auctions he is actually talking to his audience. Not like the other auction monkeys who are full of BS crap and are actually saying nothing understandable and then at ultimate intense high speed.

11. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Hard to tell, but the car did not seem like the very best example out there based on the bunch of incorrect features. So the $319K is market correct IMO.

Geno

12. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    That's because he auctions cars like one auctions a fine piece of art, not like livestock.

13. :)

14. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    Price reached what we talked about. close to $325K total. Ithink it is a very good sale. $375K was pie in the sky because for that price, it was competing with excellent cars from europe curently for sale.

Anyone has any pictures of the car while presented? All the incorrect details were supposed to be fixed by the time fo sale.

15. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    When I saw it Thursday night it still had an incorrect steering wheel.

16. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    Because "estimates" don't matter. It sold for exactly what it was worth, because THAT's
    what someone was willing to pay. Some responses here seem disappointed at the price
    but i think it is great.. much higher than previous sales of this version (250 range). Remember about 6 years ago (i think) when John in Maryland sold the pearl DD to Tony in FL? i think it traded for $120.. (now it is back where it started: Cali).

17. ken qv

ken qv Formula 3

Oct 25, 2006
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Ken Roberson
    Congrats to the new owner.. lets hope he or she shows up HERE

18. jollygood

jollygood Formula 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Full Name:
    jollygood

Yes, that would be cool, if it's a she...
    Wonder if it went overseas...

19. f4udriver

f4udriver Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    #2569 f4udriver, Mar 8, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    When they say there were 13 DD cars imported to the US does this include the grey market cars such as mine. And if they are separate, does the market prefer the "imported cars" or the grey market cars as far as value.

My story is similar to the car that sold 2 owner 14K kilometers, but not repainted and the only thing I changed was the ignition but I kept the original.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. Autosport

Autosport Karting

May 25, 2013
    The fact is, that car sold for double what anyone on this thread would have paid for it just 2 years ago. 100% return in 24 months would make even a Wall Street Wolf smile. I am willing to bet it will double again in the next 24 months, $500k for a car like that in 2016. Arguably the most exotic sports car ever created, especially if you take into consideration when it was created. It has stood the test of time and is still stunning today. Under 2000 created over a long period with cars scattered all over the planet. They are so expensive to restore and make right, if you own a very high quality car it will never be worth less than it is today. The train has left the station, hope your on board.

21. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    I will say, when that car entered the room, almost everyone stood up to take a picture. There's nothing like a countach, and there will never be anything like it again. I expected bidding to go to $400k. It was a nice car.

22. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    Would you rather have and deal with a legal import with bumpers front back, and whatever else was done to make it US compliant or a euro machine snuck in and very lightly modified to pass?

23. kmeighannj

kmeighannj Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 21, 2006
    Bedminster, NJ
    Full Name:
    Kirk M
    That is true -- lots of picture taking. I think it was a decent result. It was just not the spectacular jump that we are seeing in the Ferrari market. Having participated in both vintage Ferrari and vintage Lambo ownership and having attended a lot of auctions over the past few years, it would seem to me that a key difference is how much thinner the vintage Lambo buyer market is (the professionals can comment here). Relatively speaking, there was not vigorous action among a large number of potential buyers for this car, and it petered out pretty quickly.

Besides the action on Daytonas (which appear to have made their move up this weekend) and Dino's (which now seem to be consistently selling in the high $300s to low $400s, and more if something special), witness the RM Blue 365 GTC/4 -- that hammered at $305k. Now, the 365GTC/4 is a great driving car, and this was a Platinum winner, but hard to argue that it is anywhere as near significant in automotive history as the Countach. Just a deeper market of even casual collectors who want to participate in the Ferrari market. On the other hand, we Countach owners are a sophisticated bunch with discerning tastes who will only settle for the icon of a generation! The market for our cars is moving up nicely relative to most other investments, just not relative to vintage Ferraris. And by the way, not everyone looks at their Countach as an investment, as we know -- it is a hell of a fun car to drive. Nothing like it. We should feel good. Seems like more to come with these cars.

Kirk

24. rmolke85

rmolke85 Formula Junior

Mar 11, 2013
    The car sold VERY well considering its condition IMHO. After fees, taxes and correcting the issues this car is a $350k car all day long.

I for one am happy these things are not 500k-1.0m yet. Ruins the best part of the car and thats the drive. All the price increases are great but as each auction passes, it makes it harder to want to go fast.......

The market may be thin for Lambos while people are worried that if they dont buy a GTC/4 for 300k they wont ever get a Ferrari. Thats alright with me. One day I expect that to change when people realize. I dont really understand the craze for the Ferraris.

A real good DD should be approaching 400K at this point if not already. NO ONE TALKS ABOUT HOW THIS IS THE ONLY 4V V-12 DD CARB'D CAR EVER MADE FOR THE STREET. It has no equal in this respect. Enjoy the cars before you feel like driving them is to big of a liability.

25. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    It seems that there are some collectors/buyers not willing to participate in that kind of circus, an auction. Possibly because it is easy to spend more money on a car that they know they are going to get.

Nobody likes it when they spend more solely because another bidder or 2. Seriously, think about.....you pay more money because some stranger, not because of the owner of the car.

That's just from speaking with some very wealthy collectors. It much easier and more low key when something is seen on ebay, websites, and especially word of mouth.