Official Countach Value Thread | Page 104 | FerrariChat

Official Countach Value Thread

Discussion in 'LamborghiniChat.com' started by Peter K., Feb 17, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jollygood

jollygood Formula 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Full Name:
    jollygood

I agree with the above. But you can also do well buying at an auction. It kind of depends who's running the auction (what company), the marketing and especially what type of audience there is at that specific auction.
    What bothers me is that the auction company here takes an additional 10% premium from the buyer and probably also 10% from the seller.

So if you can agree privately it will benefit both parties, IMO.
    Wonder what the selling price would have been in a private sale!

2. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    No. The grey markets are not in the 13-15 cars" were a special deal with the US gov agencies as pre-cursor before the QV injected be offcial in the US.

I dont beleive it really matters that the car is one of the 13 "official" or a grey market as long as the grey market has the papers to prove it was entered legally. The fact has no lambo historical bearing and we know now from the "prototype 5000S injected sale that events not directly related to the company is moot.
    I guess it really matters only for the owners bragging right.

I do agree with all the posts, the sale was a great sale at $320K out of the auctioner's hand. The car was not going to sell for much more because as Emilio and Alberto pointed, they are currently outstanding DDs for sale in Italy and these cars are in that upper price range. Personally If I were to choose knowing my cost would be $350K, I would choose the car I can spend time with before the buy and has the euro gear to start.
    That sale seems very consistent with the established trend and IMO was a fair sale for both parties given that trend.

As far as Ferraris ,we are in a bubble, lets face it. I see many 308 asked for over $50K and not glass cars. 512BB are no longer a bargain they used to be not that long ago. That is a red flag. The 2nd point I would like to make is that speculators not knowing much about cars will go with what is perceived as a safer bet and buy at a level they can afford.

3. IMO a Lamborghini (or a Detomaso fwiw) has never been a car that I would personally want to bring to an auction. Typically, a private sale has brought higher numbers for some time. Maybe that is changing as the car becomes more "collectible" to the general public.

4. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    Seriously, look at the S1 blue Espada that was auctioned last year. Thing had A LOT needs. That frickin guy paid a ton of money because of some stranger. He even said so.

It was obvious while watching his facial expressions on TV when the number got into the 50's then the 60's!
    The number way exceeded what fellow owners predicted.

5. kmeighannj

kmeighannj Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 21, 2006
    Bedminster, NJ
    Full Name:
    Kirk M
    You are right, sometimes that happens. Yesterday, a 512 BBi went for $220k all-in, which seems like a very big number to me. To me it seemed like it got bid higher because a guy had his 10 year old son holding up the paddle. Max, the auctioneer, paid a lot of attention to that fact "Folks, a 10 year old is buying his first Ferrari at auction!" I may be completely wrong, but it just felt like dad could not lose the car with everyone now staring at him.

6. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    All Countach autos are subjected to endless pictures from passing enthusiasts. On a nightime drive, I counted 4 cell phone pics with flash while on the freeway with a CT. The Miura at night did not have one cell phone pic.

The 365 GTC/4 with low production numbers, is always the last affordable classic Ferrari. The engine sound is amazing. With the cost for restoration, it is prudent to buy the best GTC/4 example you can find. Unfortunately, when comparing marques you have more classic F buyers. Put a dancing horse emblem on the Jarama and it will have a different price.

7. Chadbourn Bolles

Chadbourn Bolles Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    Leesville, SC USA
    Full Name:
    Chadbourn Bolles
    86 QV sold yesterday in Jacksonville, FL for, I think the guy told me $270,000.00. He did say car looked like a new one.
    Chadbourn Bolles
    803 532 6257
    email [email protected]

8. joe sackey

joe sackey Five Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    If indeed it turns out that we are in a bubble with Ferraris, we are in a bubble for EVERYTHING including all models of Lamborghini, and IMO this in not an entirely unrealistic scenario.

9. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Astutely & accurately observed. Agreed.

10. testarossa717

testarossa717 Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2007
    NY/NJ
    Full Name:
    Antonio
    I am wondering what if any impact the change in importation laws regarding China allowing any vehicle to be imported starting 1/1/2015 will have on the vintage Ferrari and Lamborghini market.

I am wondering if anyone that was actually present at the auction could speak, with clarity, to the condition of this Countach at the RM auction.

I am wondering where the Roy Cat's White Anniversary will be priced. Spring is almost here and with it we should see more cars coming to market. It should serve as a good tell to see if we are going to trend sideways, continue the run up or have a cooling off period.

One thing is for certain and that is the Countach is an iconic car and will always have it's place in history.

11. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    More pressure on the finite collector car market.

More buyers will look for collector cars.

12. jollygood

jollygood Formula 3

Oct 24, 2005
    Full Name:
    jollygood

It was a 1985 car, not 1986.

13. Chadbourn Bolles

Chadbourn Bolles Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 5, 2005
    Leesville, SC USA
    Full Name:
    Chadbourn Bolles
    Well, my friend really does not know one from the other, but still gave the selling price. He did not say if it were a DD car or FI car. Then again he would really not know.
    Chadbourn Bolles
    803 532 6257
    email [email protected]

14. f4udriver

f4udriver Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    I would rather have the car that has as few mods as needed to be legal. Thinking that the factory knows how to make a car better then the government regulators.

On all of the posts I have read so far on this subject I have surmised that most preferred the Euro spec car.

My car came in and was made legal in 1986 but it was my understanding that a car can be brought in with no modifications at all if it is older then so many years (can't remember but I think it was 15).

I find it exciting to see the increase in value even though I have no plans of selling it. Money is very hard to make so it is always nice to see free added value to my estate.

15. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    BBi prices are easy to understand when a Daytona is a 550k car, BBIs were traditionaly 50% of a daytona. Nowadays though a Daytona is a heavy car that is only really good at speeds not really atainable in the USa and most of the rest of the world. A BBi by contrast is uncomfortable for long trips, but a whole lot of fun on bends and can pootle aound quite comfortably, as a weekend toy for asunday drive it has everything going for it, so may come to adaytona in price.. In the meantime if you are a ferrari person, have less than 500k to spend or needto add the next thing your choices are limted, hence the rise.

What is there out there less than 500K a dino, a 365 Gtc 4 a glass 308 and a Boxer, maybe a 512TR, but that is it, no new ferrari hits those spots and everythgn else ie older is more. Of the list mentioned what would be the no1 choice?

The CT one must view liek arce car, there are relatively few people who can drive them, and even then use is limited, but as art its ina league of its own.

People in China and Russia like new, thye dont really understand classics, well not quite true they understand price tags so exceptional cars may sell there, but daytonas Cts Boxers, where would one be driven there, a Tr is probably a better bet for that market, the AC works and its a real hey look at me car.

Yeah a Ct is a 500k car even a 1 mill car, its just a matter of time.

Another view is all these cars are worth what it cost to retore them, on that basis any Ct must be a 200k car.

Yeah there is illogical money comming into the Italian market, just as muscle cars got bid upa few years ago, but while muscle car prices have softened they have not collapsed.
    Same will happen here.

16. ralfabco

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    BB's are easy to drive.

The Dino left the station.

365 BB and glass 308 will continue to move up.

I would pick the first BB.

The 365 BB is the first of the series, it is the 'wild' Boxer, and it has low production #'s.

With sub 500K F cars, the choice is easy. I don't think the 365 is worth the premium over the 512. However, I have not driven a 365. Low production #'s = better potential to increase in price.

It does not take long to become bored with the modern production cars :). yawn.

Much more fun to drive a slow car fassst.

give me a call when milk is $15.00 a gallon :D

17. Countachqv

Countachqv Formula 3

Apr 25, 2007
    USA/France
    #2592 Countachqv, Mar 10, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
    China is to import older car effective 2015? Really? I did not follow up on this. That has always been my "worry".

Ponder this: the population of the US is a rounding error of the population of China. While the percentage of millionaire is a fraction from here, the sheer number and trend there will have a huge impact if what you are saying is realized.
    China has had an effect on French wines if you listen to the French..

EDIT: after reading some post I wanted to add that some Chinese also buy old wines. :) While cars and wine are not the same, we are talking about statuses for a rising wealth so it would not take long for a Chinese wealthy guy to distinguish himself by bying vintage rather than the boring new stuff everyone has parked in his "chateau imitation" driveway.

18. EMILIO

EMILIO F1 Veteran

Feb 23, 2006
    Italia

what is a glass 308 worth today?
    and a steel dry sump?

i think under 500k$ ferraris to buy are:
    BB...all of them, looks, rarity, first 12 cil. mid engine car ...the carbed BB should be THE Ferrari to buy today
    308 glass...rare and best of the series, great look and light, fun car
    365 GTC4...nice but "wierd looking" and even more the 365 GT 2+2!... looks much nicer and classy than the GTC4 imo

19. FTanner

FTanner Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    Frank
    lol, I have thought about it but am not sure that I want to part with either.

20. FTanner

FTanner Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Thanks Mick. I really enjoy this section and love the Countach. The price just seemed to skyrocket when I started my search and made the purchase unlikely at this time.

21. FTanner

FTanner Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    Frank
    The thread IMO definitely served it's intent and purpose. Look at how many times that thread has been viewed in it's short infancy. I learned a great deal about that variant and believe it shed a light on facts, figures and technical specs instead of just opinion based on side strakes or fuel injection.

22. FTanner

FTanner Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Is it on L Pwr?

23. FTanner

FTanner Formula Junior

Aug 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    Frank
    LOL I agree

24. joe sackey

Sponsor

May 23, 2006
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Joe Sackey
    Correct!

This is also true of other growing economies, where there is little to no interest in them.

In the bid to establish status, their desire is for current & or contemporary Supercars from Ferrari, Porsche & Lamborghini. Accordingly, the latest & greatest rules, and there is plenty to choose from.

Another interesting observation my son who is at college at UCLA made: he has not one single peer who has any interest in cars, classic or otherwise! No posters of cars on the wall whatsoever. This is a trend that has been much-discussed in recent times. This contrasts sharply with past generations which always had a significant percentage of people interested in cars.

25. smglop

smglop Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2005
    There is a political climate in this country of the have-nots being pitted against the have's.
    No where is this stronger than in the nation's universities. The young would never look so materialistic and shallow as to look to strive for something like a "Lamborghini." They haven't been shown that when you are successful you can have a great car and you can try to help the poor. All at the same time!
    A lot of today's wealthy that contribute to helping the poor had Countach posters on their wall. Ronald Reagan gave that sense of pride when these cars were the poster kings back in the day. Now you have to have a Prius poster to show you care.
    Just my opinion.