250 GTE ...HOW MANY REMAIN ? | Page 19 | FerrariChat

250 GTE ...HOW MANY REMAIN ?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by PAUL BABER, Sep 6, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FarEastFerrari

FarEastFerrari Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    Thank you. I bought it based only on the photos and the PPI. I'm going to see it next week. I love the sound of 12 cylinder engines from the 250's. It's amazing how affordable the 250 GTEs are compared to SWBs/Lusso/275GTBs. You get basically the same chassis with the same engine and the same gear box but with a usable boot and extra seats for a fraction of the cost.

2. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    On the other hand I think GTE should NOT be compared to Spiders/Berlinettas. It should be compared to other classic premium cars. In this league it is a unquestioned king of cars - a full package.

Even if one wants to compare to Spiders/Berlinettas, I would point out that the GTE is much more carefully designed and engineered from the user point of view. It never ceases to amaze me how well these cars were designed and built!

Best wishes, Kare

3. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    #453 T308, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  4. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    Do you know the serial of the car in the background?

5. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    This is 2169GT.

6. Julius H.

Julius H. Formula Junior

Feb 25, 2013
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Julius
    nice siblings

7. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    Duh, I didn't look closely at the plate. Thanks Wayne.

8. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    So you only collect series 1 in red...this is an interesting idea!

9. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    Actually I have 2 in red and the third with the hood scoop is Grey but it was originally Red. They are all series 1. I didn't pick them this way. I just purchased affordable good drivers as they became available. I wish I had a series 2. I am in the middle of purchasing 2 more GTEs that are series III. I've seen Tom Yang's 330 America's which is a series 3 with a bigger engine. What a nice car. The series III looks better because of the chrome rim around the headlights and the wider wheels. I'm going to restore a couple of them taking them down to bare metal with new interiors.

10. dgrperformance

dgrperformance Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2005
    Oceanside, CA
    For the record 2169GT did not change hands, Thomas purchased 3045 and it just happened to be sitting next to 2169 in the showroom when I took the picture. There is a well known series three GTE sitting on the other side of 3045 in the picture just out of frame, somebody else can choose to post the serial number if they wish.

Zac

11. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I disagree. I cannot think a single car where facelift would have improved original design. In this particular case Pininfarina originally deserted the traditional chrome bezels and chose to use frenched bezels. Together with sculptural tail lights they make the car look very pretty and special! I also think that RW3690 is in perfect balance with the design.

I don't want to mock Series III, but I personally don't like the implemented Lusso nose. It was made to market the cars, not to improve design!

12. FarEastFerrari

Jan 27, 2014
    Hong Kong, LA & NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Choi
    This means I'm lucky to have a few of the series 1 then!

13. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I would think so. I am very happy with my early S.2 identical with late S.1 cars!

14. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    This fellow has two sets of parts that certainly look like GTE parts to me, though I am not too familiar with PF Coupes. His other set (Black) is stamped 141, which I would take to be 3515 GT (PF # 68141).

Note that both 3515 GT was converted to an SWB replica and 3267 GT was made into a "Speciale", so available body parts makes sense.

15. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    I have not stepped in on the debate about 3777 GT because I have had very little to say. The GTE Register has a fair amount of history on the car, but no mention of a Series III front (or any body comments, for that matter) until fairly recently. It was good to see that photo from 1982, as it shows some history.

This weekend, I was able to exchange emails with the current owner and got a better look at the car. He did a bare metal repaint in 2003 and says there was no indication of any bodywork having been done to the car other than a small ding in one fender. He will send photos of the car in metal.

The tail lights are Altissimo and I would guess were added later. A couple of cars have these lights, but the rear fender on them has been reworked to adapt to the fact that they are shorter than the norm. The theory is that the factory ran out of tail lights and just grabbed some off of a car on another line (I had heard Lancia Flamina). It would have been easy for Pininfarina to rework the body while it was being assembled, but difficult to do later. I think 3777's lights were added later because the top of the light falls short of the top of the fender.

So is it a Series III prototype? It is looking more like it.

16. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Hi Tom, the black set belongs to an Series I PF coupe, but the other set that look silver in color we think is from a GTE, with PF body number 062.

john

17. luvcoupes

luvcoupes Karting

Jan 29, 2011
    San Francisco
    #468 luvcoupes, Apr 8, 2014
  18. Vincent Vangool

Vincent Vangool Formula 3

Oct 6, 2007
    Zanskar, Kargil district, Ladakh, India
    Full Name:
    Vincent Vangool
    Gotta say I hate the Idea of GTE's being chopped up but it's nice to see one rolling around, even if it's with an LS2.

I guess whatever gets them somewhat back together for now is better then nothing.

At least they are not rotting away and now will stick around to hopefully get their rightful motor back.

19. art_rapid

art_rapid Rookie

Sep 23, 2009
    #470 art_rapid, Apr 8, 2014
  20. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
  21. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    #472 epdowd, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
    2459 GT. It is now in San Mateo, CA. It was parted back in 2000 with the engine being reported in multiple cars in Europe and the Transmission and Rear axle going to England.

The person who dropped in the Corvette drivetrain purchased it after the other parts were removed. I think he has done a nice job of preserving the look of the car and though I doubt the parts will come back, it probably wouldn't be to hard to put them back in.

22. Vincent Vangool

Vincent Vangool Formula 3

Oct 6, 2007
    Zanskar, Kargil district, Ladakh, India
    Full Name:
    Vincent Vangool
    I agree. For a Non-Ferrari motor it looks nicely done.

Would be interesting to read a write up of how he got it in there.

Like I said. Nice to see it rolling around versus just rusting away.

23. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    The owner has invited me to take a look next time I am in the area. As my engine is being rebuilt nearby (don't even think of uniting the two!), I should have the chance soon. I will report back what I find out.

24. Jeremy L.

Jeremy L. Rookie

Aug 29, 2013
    London
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Levison
    Does this then make 3777 a Series 2 or 3?
    If the latter, RM might need to change the description in their catalogue.