250 GTE ...HOW MANY REMAIN ? | Page 20 | FerrariChat

250 GTE ...HOW MANY REMAIN ?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by PAUL BABER, Sep 6, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    The Series is defined by the chassis number, not by the Pininfarnina number or style. Using our current definition, it is definitely a Series II.

2. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    I wouldn't trust anyone's judgement unless he has seen several shells fully blasted inside and out. Telling apart original hassles from an eventual crash repair can be a little tricky.

3. arttidesco

arttidesco Karting

Oct 6, 2010
    Bristol
    Full Name:
    Ralph Colmar
    #478 arttidesco, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have come across a couple of GT/E's the first #2835 with a replica 250 SWB body UK Reg OSL872 :- Smoke & Mirrors ? Ferrari 250 GT/E 2+2 #2835 | Gettin' A Li'l Psycho On Tyres

In 2011 My friend Geoffrey Horton saw a white and red example at Niello Serano bearing a Liege Rome Liege plate on the front and I believe a California plate CWP 647 on the rear :- Road Legal Ferrari?s A Brief History ? Niello Serrano Concours | Gettin' A Li'l Psycho On Tyres

Any help with the chassis number would be much appreciated ?

A year or so later Geoffrey Horton saw one at Carmel by the Sea in Dark Grey (Grigio Scuro?) with Biege Interior and the Italian registration MI 589053 on the rear and 589053 MI on the front (?) :- Ferrari On The Avenue ? Carmel by the Sea Concours d?Elegance | Gettin' A Li'l Psycho On Tyres

This car does not appear to have any exterior mirrors which, I hope, might help identify the chassis number ?

In 2012 I came across a car UK reg 403 UXU listed with the DVLA as built in 1962 but carrying a '64 GTO (LMB notch back) body said to be owned by Peter Sugden of Sherborne, Dorset. I believe Mr Sugden may have been in advertising and also owns an E-type carrying the a plate "CUT8"

Does anyone no if 403 UXU is a 250 GTE based replica and if so which s/n ?

Relevant answers maybe credited and used in forth coming blogs. Thanking you in anticipation of your responses.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    2835 GT.

4049 GT owned by Jim Bonney and shown here at Concorso Italiano.

2259 GT. Sympatheticly restored by Tom Yang (on right with gray blazer). To his right is restorer Zac Dugger.

5. arttidesco

arttidesco Karting

Oct 6, 2010
    Bristol
    Full Name:
    Ralph Colmar
    Thanks for your quick response Tom, hope some one on my side of the pond can help with 403UXU ?

6. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    Yeah, don't know anything about that one. However, if you want to know more about 2259 GT ( a very cool car with a good story) check out TomYang.net for its history and restoration.

7. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #482 El Wayne, Apr 22, 2014
    I don't have a clue which car ut was built on, but here are more pics (taken at Tyringham Hall in 2008) in hopes that they may help someone else identify it. (Photos are by Goodmann Derrick at ClassicDriver.)

8. epdowd

epdowd Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 31, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Tom Wilson
    Wayne - do you know what is the blue symbol above the vents in the second photo? A Pinin Farina logo perhaps? This might help identify the car in photos where the license plate is not visible.

9. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #484 El Wayne, Apr 22, 2014
    Not a PF logo. It's a decal indicating where the electrical cut-off switch is located, something that's required by a lot of motorsports governing bodies. Even modern F1 cars are required to have them in the cockpit: "There must be a circuit breaker switch in the cockpit that the driver can use to cut all the car’s main electrical circuits. This is marked on the dashboard by a red spark in a white-edged blue triangle."

10. dgrperformance

dgrperformance Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2005
    Oceanside, CA

indicates an emergency battery cut off switch that they look to have hidden in the fender vent

Zac

11. arttidesco

arttidesco Karting

Oct 6, 2010
    Bristol
    Full Name:
    Ralph Colmar
    Top tip Tom thanks again !

12. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    3661GT.

Interesting to note that Family Classic Cars (Larry Alderson) was offering a 250 TR replica with this chassis number a few years ago. I imagine that the replidoodad could have been powered by motor # 3661GT, as the GTE shown here is now fitted with motor # 3421GT.

13. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    The original motor must have escaped through those side vents.

14. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    :)

15. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    I hadn't noticed those GTO-style side vents...

Gr. Martin

16. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Not keen on those.

17. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Anybody remember a thread covering a dark grey car, grigio scuro or grigio notte I think, being restored in Italy ?
    Wondered what happened to it, is restoration finished, is it on the road, if so where ?

18. DavidWP

DavidWP Karting

Mar 17, 2004
    Noblesville, Indiana
    Full Name:
    David W Palmeter
    #494 DavidWP, May 16, 2014
    Does anyone have an update on 4959? It left my hands (see attachment) intact in September, 1995 and was then reported in California, running, but without the original engine, which was then reported to be in New York in a California replica.

How did this soap opera turn out? Anyone?

David

19. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    It was a very pretty car, the first GTE I ever saw looked just like it, and was in California, for sale at Heritage Classics on Sunset Blvd. in 2006. Still on their website. Perhaps that was it, although the one I saw was a runner.

20. Jeremy L.

Jeremy L. Rookie

Aug 29, 2013
    London
    Full Name:
    Jeremy Levison
    If you are referring to 4139 (see page 20 for text and photos) then it is now back in England after being trimmed in Modena. It is due to be completed within the next month: more details in due course.
    When delivered, 4139 will share a garage with the "Persuaders" Aston Martin DBS which I bought at the Bonhams auction yesterday. Happy days!

21. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Yes that's the one. Look forward to seeing it in the metal.
    Congrats on the DBS, what fun !

22. omd78

omd78 F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2005
    Breda, Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Martin
    Congratulations! Looking forward to your report.

Gr. Martin

23. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter