1975 Dino 308 GT4 10630 Finds A New Home | FerrariChat

1975 Dino 308 GT4 10630 Finds A New Home

Discussion in '308/328' started by italcarguy, May 7, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. italcarguy

italcarguy Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony Rimicci
    #1 italcarguy, May 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Last weekend I went to look at an Alfa Romeo GTV for sale and saw a 308 GT4 parked in the garage next to it. I decided to pass on the Alfa and as I was walking away I stopped to look at the GT4. Turns out, it was a real nice car so a deal was made on the car.

The car is a very late series 1 (April 1975 build date) and has 59,000 miles. The owner purchased it from Lyle Tanner in 1987 and has used it as an occasional weekend car during his ownership. He gave me some records with the car as well as some manuals and books. Overall, it's a very nice car that could use a good detail, but nothing major. It's due for the belt service so I'm going to order all the parts I need including a new water pump, cam seals, etc. and get on that next week. Once that's done, I plan on driving it often to car gatherings and weekend drives.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. zman

zman Formula Junior

Jan 14, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nice. what did you pay for her

3. skelly

skelly Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2011
    That's a beauty. I love the color. What's it called?

4. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    That's really nice, great interior and exterior colour.

5. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day Italcarguy,

Wow, your GT4 looks fantastic! Enjoy it in excellent health!

Cheers,

Sam

6. nizam

nizam Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 9, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Full Name:
    Ni Zam
    Where's the "Like" button?

:D

Congrats! That's awesome!

Brian Harper likes this.
  7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Congrats.

Most of us in the Ferrari biz back then considered the GT4 the best of the carb V8's. I have also always been a big Bertone fan.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  8. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    Congratulations! Amazing find. I spent 9 months scouring every source available for a car like that without success.

9. wildcat767676

wildcat767676 Formula Junior

May 20, 2011
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Congrats!! What did you have to pay for that if you don't mind? We're all trying to figure out where the market is going on these lately.

Are those side skirts or just a camera angle tricking me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Dom

Dom F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 5, 2002
    #10 Dom, May 7, 2014
    Last edited: May 7, 2014
    Congratulations!!

I too am curious out the color. Is it Rosso Bordeaux by any chance?

And, you know that Carbon is going to come here and stalk you until you give him the serial #, so you might as well post it up as well to make your life easier ;)

On edit: Duh, I just realized you have the Serial# in the title of the thread. I need to learn to pay more attention.

And wow, 10630, mine is 10688, so we are not that far apart. My car was originally Rosso Bordeaux, so it would be very interesting to see what the actual color of your car is.

11. SpyderGT

SpyderGT Formula Junior

May 15, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Prugna? Looks great! Jon

12. wildcat767676

May 20, 2011
    Gilbert, Arizona
    10630 in title

13. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Congrats and welcome to the 'hood.
    They're great cars and should give you miles of enjoyment.

Do yourself a big favor and give the fuel lines, coolant hoses, suspension bushes ( heck anything rubber ) a close look. After all these years they tend to be past their sell by date and a failure could be expensive. Or worse.

14. wildcat767676

May 20, 2011
    Gilbert, Arizona
    What vizsla said!!! Drove mine 1 day after major service and blew a coolant line somewhere. Luckily in my driveway, no damage. Should have replaced every hose!

prober34 likes this.
  15. italcarguy

Nov 3, 2003
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony Rimicci
    #15 italcarguy, May 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2014
    Thanks everyone. I think the color is prugna, but am not sure. I cannot find a paint sticker on the car. It should be on inside of the trunk deck lid, right?

Of course, I'm going to go through all the fuel and coolant hoses. I'm going to go ahead and adjust the valves too while I have everything apart. I want to do everything now so I have a clean sheet and don't have to deal with it in the near future.

Does Ferrari still offer the heritage certificate? How do I find out the build date, where it was sold, and color delivered? I pulled a bunch of interior panels off to look for a color change and it seems to be the color it left the factory.

Not sure what's the deal with the side skirts. They are done real well and look like they would be a factory piece. I'm going to reshoot them and leave them on the car. They make the car look lower.

I looked the car over really well and it has never been hit, interior is all original, nothing is hacked up, and was the right color combination for the car.

16. wildcat767676

May 20, 2011
    Gilbert, Arizona
    Wow great deal!! Could I see a few more pix of the side skirts?

17. Lorzen

Lorzen Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2011
    NYC Metro
    Unfortunately no paint sticker on a 75 and currently no more Heritage certificates.

A friendly dealer may hunt down some information for you, but the factory not so much. :(

Nice find!! :D

18. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Tough to tell from pics but Prugna is probably right.
    Looks to be well bought at that price range.

19. The Kook Abides

The Kook Abides F1 Rookie

Jan 4, 2011
  20. IamRobG

IamRobG F1 Rookie

Jun 18, 2007
    NY
    Nice congrats mine was placed on the truck today I should have it next week.

On a side note I love the Alfa gtv I almost bought one and I still would if I had more space. Good luck

21. FiatRN

FiatRN Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Drout
    The Dino Register lists the car as "burgundy/tan" and living in CA, but has no other info. However, 10578 is listed as April '75, and 10664 is listed as April '75, so I would guess you car was built in April '75.

In your fourth photo there is an info panel riveted to the inside of the driver door - on my 1979, that lists the build date BUT mine looks different than yours so perhaps yours has different information.

When you removed body panels, did you find the build number?

Those side skirts don't look like any I've noticed on cars and are probably not from Ferrari, but they sure look great... low but subtle.

Welcome to the Dino GT4 club. I think you got a wonderful deal on a gorgeous car.

Jonathan
    GT4 15302
    Denver, CO
    The FiatRN

22. GT4 Joe

GT4 Joe Formula Junior

Oct 19, 2010
    Dana Point, Ca.
    Full Name:
    Joe Williams
    Congrats and enjoy. I love the color combo....

23. Omnivore

Omnivore Formula Junior

Jun 3, 2011
    Portland
    Full Name:
    Matthew F
    You're a winner! Tackiest question.

Lovely GT4. Congrats to the new custodian.

M

24. DinoRossa

DinoRossa Karting

Nov 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Chris Mulvena
    Looks fabulous. The darker colours almost make you forget about the ugly US bumpers. I have a Rossa one and keep wishing it had Euro style bumpers. Maybe I should just paint it!!

Have fun.

25. italcarguy

Nov 3, 2003
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Full Name:
    Anthony Rimicci
    I'll take a picture of the plate and post it next week when I'm back in LA. It shows the build date of the car: April 1975. Maybe they moved it on the later cars?
    I didn't completely remove the interior panels. I just pushed them back and looked inside with a flashlight.

I think I got a good deal. The car needs a major service as well as some other little work. I figured if I had to give it to a shop, I'd be spending at least $5,000.00 for everything if not more.

Thanks! I agree with you on how US bumpers look better on darker cars. If anything, I might drill out the shocks and push the bumpers in a little bit, but I'm still not sold on doing that.