Anyone attend a "Crossfit" gym? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Anyone attend a "Crossfit" gym?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by BubblesQuah, Feb 10, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Nothing's perfect . I agree that some move are not for interval work. As a certified trainer , I sometimes question the order of the routines.

I do crossfit and draw the limit at over head squats and snatches. I substitute snatches with squat cleans.

It still stands as the best group training because it works. And I've seen very few injuries and none serious.
    I've seen more injuries in my ice hockey league and flag football league than crossfit. Crossfit is a sport in concept .

My question is why do you see more girls than guys at crossfit ?

2. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    That's easy.

Because women have traditionally embraced a group fitness class philosophy and regimen where men do not. Men participate in group sports and "train" individually or with a buddy outside of that sport.

Those barriers though have finally started to dissolve. Moreso on the west coast then east. Though I am still often minority of one at yoga.

Now here is some gas on the fire I read a while ago. My opinion is somewhat less fanatical then this guys. I am for anyone do whatever they want.
    http://impact-pt.com/fitness/what-crossfit-is-and-isnt/

3. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Holy @^#$!!! That video in the link was insane!!!

If thats what your local Crossfit is like you need to run away as fast as you can. I can't believe they would even allow anyone to attempt those moves as they did. What's even more concerning is the people involved clearly didn't have a clue and were just blindly following the knuckleheads in charge. Again, individual common sense goes a long way to avoiding a sad joke like that video but I can see why many would see that and advise against the program as a whole.

It's sad that they don't manage their brand better and let something like that happen. Thankfully, none of my local branches are even remotely close to that type of catastrophe.

4. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    I just watched that and can't believe what I saw. I also just watched one of those Hitler parodies that had me laughing pretty hard. No shortage of Kool-Aid out there. I can't believe this stuff.

5. HighandDry

HighandDry Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2012
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Steve
    I always wondered about Crossfit. It looks like a great way to get in shape- if I was 20.

I'm in good shape now. Can do 20 chin ups/60 push ups in a row, do yoga 3x's/week, and body weight/med weight strengthening.

I did P90X (great program), but blew out my back and hurt my shoulder. I finished the program, but cut out a lot of exercises. Also tried Insanity and hurt my back doing the plyometric stuff.

From an outside observer, Crossfit looks so strenuous on the lower back/shoulder. I've been tempted to try it, but as an orthopod, I also see a lot of injures to Crossfit like exercises.

6. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I have a torn rotator cuff and herniated disc c5 , after doing crossfit both have improved. My neighbor started two months ago his back has improved . To his surprise and it has motivated him to continue .

Give it a try , you never know

7. Vinny Bourne

Vinny Bourne Formula Junior

Nov 25, 2011
    Olympic lifts are not exercises really, they are athletic, coordinated events. They are also the most injury prone events one can do with weights even for experienced athletes. There are many exercises that isolate the muscles involved and train those muscles directly w/o worry of injury.

8. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    If you do go with crossfit make sure you find a location that focuses on scaling around your injury and not one like in the video link above.

Crossfit is a lot like P90 and Insanity. My location encourages substituting the heavy lifts and difficult moves with scalable options for anyone with injuries or anyone not capable. That is the key. Killing yourself trying to keep up or by doing a risky move is pointless and detrimental to your health.

We had a new guy last night who obviously wasn't right for back squats and they wouldn't even let him attempt them.

9. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I'm 46 and in the best shape since my 20s . Boxes that doesn't concentrate on the games or with over 40 clients seem better with injuries .

10. definitelysomeday

definitelysomeday Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2009
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom Kavan
    How about boot camp style workouts instead of Cross Fit as a place to start?

I have been doing boot camps 2x a week for the last 8 months. Have seen some Cross Fit classes. Tried some of the exercises, and felt I wasn't ready to "graduate" to Cross Fit full time. I just feel like my shoulders will come apart doing some of those exercises.

The boot camp I go to has slowly started to incorporate some cross fit exercises, but is still heavily geared toward simple core exercises, done in the cross fit rounds style.

11. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Just start no need to work up to it.its scaled according to your fitness level.

Two months ago a girl about 75 lbs overweight joined and could barely do anything. Now she completes all WOD and no longer is she the last one.

You would be surprised how quick your fitness improves

12. TG

TG F1 Veteran

Oct 26, 2004
    Newport Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Taylor
    Years ago I was trying to lose weight... using traditional cardio it took just about a year to shed 60 pounds. I've heard about a friend of a friend who did that in just 2 months using Crossfit. Again, it's forced interval training. If you're open, there's nothing greater...

13. NatalliaKosmacheva

Jul 23, 2013
    Toronto
    Full Name:
    Natallia
    For me crossfit the ultimate way to train the entire body. And it's a perfect stress relief workout. Quick, challenged and fun class and you are full of energy! Something different from the monotony running or lifting weights. Don't expect to see instantly shaped biceps or developed Olympic stamina, just diverse my training schedule.

14. billyfitness

billyfitness Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2006
    Overland Park, KS
    Full Name:
    Bill Leavitt
  15. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Good article.

I think you brought up some valid points while being fair. I imagine its hard to address fitness in broad terms when it is as unique as each individual.

I have to admit I've become a Crossfit junkie. Luckily, my box focuses on form first and doesn't seem to have any of the ego issues that plague some affiliates.

I have to say I've been exercising for a long time now and the Crossfit program just clicks with me. I'd go every single day if I could. As it stands I go five days a week and rest for two. If I feel excessively sore I skip or do something light. I know my strengths and weaknesses and can push myself while keeping things safe. I have no delusions of benching 300 pounds or trying to squat a small automobile! ;)

I do love the intensity. There is something rewarding about pushing yourself each time. That's something a trainer or globe gym just never did for me. I really love "hero" workouts that are a mix of stamina and mental toughness. I also find it interesting that more and more trainers are integrating similar techniques into their routines. Perhaps it's to cash in on the trend or maybe it's because it just plain works?

It's not for everyone but it works for me.

16. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Bill, you need to visit WordPress Themes Loved By Over 200k Customers and start using a more modern Wordpress site. Takes a weekend to figure out the first time, but is the fastest way to make slick content-based sites.

17. pingi3

pingi3 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 27, 2009
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Quack
    Just some food for thought.. A family member owns a CrossFit gym..CrossFit is a workout that you love or hate. It is a lifestyle. The WOD's might be 15 minutes, but by the time you get the class started and warmed up and the WOD is finished you have been there an hour plus. Keep in mind that all gyms are lead differently. CrossFit is still pretty new. I heard a news story that the rate of hip and shoulder replacement are way up in baby boomers. More and more people who work out religiously are wearing out their joints too fast.

I also have a parent at my kids school that CrossFit'd for a while at one particular gym but changed gyms cause they focused too hard on getting that heavy weight level up. He also did not like the motion where the squats go past horizontal. He said from what he sees, definitely the cases of more body wear will come to light. Not anytime soon but eventually. I listened cause he is a renowned orthopedic surgeon here in town. He still CrossFits but at a gym where they focus more on stamina and not muscles.

18. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    You make a point . Some of the exercises are not good for your joints . Overall it's a great workout and if you attend a box that is less about competition then you have less concerns . It's also about the coaches the more knowledge they have the better.

I don't think joints will be an issue on people who use them regularly and not abuse them. Exercise is good for your body when done properly...

19. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    #44 climb, May 23, 2014
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
    Well I've been doing it now for about six weeks. It's very humbling. The first three weeks I could only do it once a week. Finally, after week 4 I could do it 3 days a week. Very intense for this 47 year old. I'm hooked though. Love it.

Seems most of the exercises are focused on the squat and derivations of it. I hate working out my legs but really need to so this is good for me. Really pushes you beyond what you'd ( or I) do on your own.

I slowly pick up on the nomenclature but don't worry too much about it. WOD, the box, RX whatever. I just do the exercises as best I can and take my time.

I've added this to my daily mountain biking routine and it's been a whole new world. I bike up the beach north to the cross country trails then dive in the ocean, dry off by biking to the local bar for one beer, pedal to south to cross-fit then home. It's about a 3 1/2 hour trek I do on most weekdays.

Love it..

20. Lip viper

Lip viper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 1, 2013
    Miami
    Full Name:
    Larryplatas
    I would stay away from it if your close to 40. To risky on the joints. I destroyed both my hips from it. Regret the day I ever stepped foot in the first crossfit gym here in my area.

Would I have had a hip issue in my lifetime, probably, but it may have been brought out 20 years earlier from too many deep movements. I discussed this at length with my ortho, he is a team dr for the dolphins and young himself(39). The combination of the nature of excercises and the speed/form issues can lead to injuries. He has seen a growing number of patients in his practice in the recent years.

I like some of the excercises in crossfit but when you put them together and you are fatigued trying to keep up with others it a recipe for disaster.

Good luck and be careful with it.

21. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Sorry to hear about your hip problems Lip. Like I tell everyone interested in crossfit you have to evaluate each box individually. I'm 43 and have been doing it for two years. Going strong and injury free.

Granted I was very active running and cycling before I joined so I had a strong base. I've seen it transform peoples lives for the better but if you find the wrong location and don't check your ego I can see how injury can happen. Then again it's no different with any other sport. Hell, sitting on the couch doing nothing is bad too!

22. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    I'm 48 and no issues . There are some exercises I will not do ie snatch kipping OHS ...my joint ache less because of it

it depends on the box. If they are competition oriented then stay away .

23. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    I stay away from those as well as weighted lunges. Too much stress on the knees for little reward.

Are you guys doing Murph tomorrow? That's our Memorial Day tradition. Love it!

24. DonJuan348

DonJuan348 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Aug 5, 2008
    Taxing Jersey
    Yes ...no time limit just complete it

25. HotShoe

HotShoe F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2008
    Lake Worth, FL
    Full Name:
    Anthony Lauro
    Awesome. That's one of my favorite hero wods. Gonna try a different strategy and see if I can shave off some time.