F1 GRAND PRIX DE MONACO 2014: RACE ***SPOILERS*** | Page 23 | FerrariChat

F1 GRAND PRIX DE MONACO 2014: RACE ***SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'F1' started by SPEEDCORE, May 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MisterMaranello

MisterMaranello F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    Europe
    +1

At the moment it seems many of them (the fanboys) have moved on from the Quali BS and instead spend their time trying to contruct a theory on how the team prevented Lewis from overtaking Nico.... :confused:

2. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Unfair statement. I don't particularly care about it at this point, but Nico Fanboys support that he was fair, Lewis Fanboys think he purposely had an off. I could see why he would do it, but I'd also assume he would have enough confidence in his ability to simply go faster.

Now, if someone could prove Nico was way off the pace in Sector 1, I could see such an act of desperation. Otherwise it's logical to think he was simply pushing beyond the limits.

There is more noise than among this forum by those who believe he jaked his yellow moment though.

3. RallyeChris

RallyeChris Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2012
    Northport, NY
    Full Name:
    S.C.Conigliaro
    I think you have a great misunderstanding as to what happened this weekend. Quali was quali. Nico P1, Lewis P2. It was what it was.

Regarding the race, these guys were extremely close in performance. The whole race. Neither gave enough disadvantage in any sector to allow a pass without sending Lauda into tears. The team provided Lewis with all opportunities to beat Nico, but the SC took away the only real opportunity. Nico drove such that no other opportunities really presented themselves. Nothing Lewis could do, but say there was dirt in his eye, lol

4. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Just before the off steve Matchette commented that Nico's tires might have cooled too much and his grip might be compromised. Seconds later Nico lost grip and slid down the escape road.

Steve must be in cahoots with Nico.

5. Ferraripilot

Ferraripilot F1 World Champ
    Owner Project Master

May 10, 2006
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    John!
    The proof is in the telemetry which showed he just went too deep there, which he has actually done in the past on prior occasions during final Q3 laps, I want to say last year it happened once or twice. Point is, the stewards summoned both drivers and MB engineers at I want to say 2:15 local after qualy where they had a solid look at everything, a thorough anal inspection, and they found nothing wrong. Warwick shot it straight.

I believe this changes nothing with regards to Lewis' tiny edge of Nico overall though, Lewis is one cool headed character in that car during qualy. I have a feeling this year's WDC will be determined on Saturdays, if Nico gets poles and keeps his keeps his starts together that is.

6. 2003Enzo

2003Enzo Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    One of the better races at Monaco in some years. Nico had a great drive today and I'm really happy to see the rivalry continue between him and Lewis. Hopefully these two will stay close in points for a while instead of one of them running away with the title.

Both Nico and Lewis seem a bit whiny as of late but I guess that comes along with the stress. Lewis's comments about how he had a personal strategist should have been handled out of the media but he does have a valid point. There should be one for each driver.

I don't even know why, but I was thrilled to see Marussia grab their first points and to have Bianchi be the driver who accomplished it is even better. He seems to have real talent and it would be nice to see him in a better car in the near future.

7. trumpet77

trumpet77 Formula 3

Jun 13, 2011
    Great Neck, NY
    Full Name:
    Robert Nixon
    Shocked that the US announcer team actually mentioned Marussia and Caterham today, shocked I tell you! Seriously, glad for Marussia, now ahead of Caterham AND Sauber!

Last year I started a thread in a joking manner to discuss IF Williams/Marussia/Caterham would get any points, so it might be time to start another for Sauber/Caterham this year too!

8. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Nice perspective..

9. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    In the Grand Prix Plus race report, it is said that Hamilton stated that he saw something "very interesting" late on Saturday night when reviewing Rosberg's Q3 telemetry. He refused to elaborate, but was wanting to leave the distinct impression that the telemetry he saw proved that Rosberg's action was deliberate...

10. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Yeah and OJ was simply out for a cruise in his Bronco.

11. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    As far as the US feed; Hobbs predicted Lewis for the win and Matchet predicted Ricardo because LH would "Senna" NR.
    Matchet's opinion was in jest of course.

The obvious winner, in clean air, was NR. It kind of pisses me off when durring the race they postulate that LH was playing games or just waiting to pounce. It was NR's race to loose and he didn't get to Mercedes because of pops. He got there because he deserves it.

PS did Marussia or Caterham sore the point ? Either way awesome !
    All the US feeds were cut short for mud racing ;)

12. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Oh, come on man! ;)

Your implication then seems to be that Nico, the entire MB hierarchy, the entire group of stewards, all the videos and on boards, and the telemetry all lied?

I still believe that *if* they'd have found a shred of evidence that it was anything other than a mistake they'd have thrown a penalty his way. Maybe not the 'back of the grid' penalty that they threw at Michael due to his little escapade being so obvious, but a few spots at least. They found none and therefore couldn't penalize him.

TBH, I actually thought they may get him on the 'reversing back onto the track' issue, but seems everyone had already passed him by that point, so no harm there either.

Cheers,
    Ian

13. LightGuy

Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #563 LightGuy, May 25, 2014
    Last edited: May 25, 2014
    No... the video told the truth but only if you read between the lines. As the used car salesman once said; "Who you gonna believe..me... or your eyeballs ?"

Do you honestly believe MB would say anything different and shoot themselves in the foot ? We're talking grid penalties, fines, and loss of hard earned reputation to say anything else.
    This is the same clean MB that forgot to tell the other teams of its Barcelona practise.

Telemetry schmelemetry.

All the stewards can do is say "yep he blew it".. not.. "he blew it on purpose".

Nico got to choose his line and brake point. All telemetry will show is that he did just that.

I would imagine the stewards are left with; innocent until PROVEN guilty. Would you expect them to do anything different ?

14. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    This is exactly why Formula One should consider taking a page out of IndyCar's rule book, whereby if someone causes a Yellow during qualifying, they'll automatically lose their fastest time from that session.

That way, any appearance of impropriety or wrongdoing would be avoided (i.e. it would be impossible for the driver causing the Yellow to benefit or be advantaged from it in any way, etc.).

15. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    Great and fair concept. Time to move on though. Lewis *might have been screwed* or Nico *might have made a mistake*, but it's all water under the bridge now. On to Montreal.

16. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Exactly.

17. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    glad this race is over and we can go back to tracks where they can actually race one another. what a snoozer.

18. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    The stewards have a whole lot more camera angles than us to study for evidence. The telemetry will tell them all the data they need on top of that (exact braking point, temperature of tires and brakes, steering angle...you name it.

I'm sure that they looked at the S1 time too and didn't suspect foul play.

http://t.co/C8sdtEBrRy ;)

19. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Exactly what I said during the race!

What if he pitted, but SC didn't come out? We'd never hear the end of it about how they ****ed his race by pitting him early. If he wanted to pit so badly he should've steered his car in and told them to get ready...
    :D.

I think his time with 'Nando he learned from the best with the mind games. Knows the right things to say at exactly the right time. He knows things like that will be played on the live feed. It's like being in court: Prosecution can simply ask a question and the jury will start thinking it, and think that something that is completely untrue has happened.

:eek:.

All I do know is that I really, really want to see Rosberg take the title from Hamboy now. The whiny **** he says during the race (and outside) is infuriating. Maybe Alonso and Hamilton should reunite next year at Mclaren :D (at least Mclaren will get more TV time and raise their sponsor dollar :p).

20. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    The race ended exactly as predicted, save vettels issue, the order was preordained way before the weekend, it was only ever going to be a question of which teammate beat the other.

Hamilton talking as though he thinks Mercedes should be ignoring nico and helping only the Hamilton cause is a psychological issue he used to have, and is now allowing back into play. It won't end well for him if he's not careful.

If I were bernie, I'd be more concerned that the new rules have played into the hands of Mercedes completely, and not only are the races predictable, the reality that they already cannot be caught for either championship now, they only need to turn up, should be making the rule makers consider drastic changes for next year because otherwise, the viewers will not bother and revenue will decline. I'm not sure if my interpretation is correct, but sky in the uk reduced the length of the qualifying and race shows to one hour prior to race, whereas it has always been one and a half hours prior. Is this because people aren't watching the show anymore, is there less interest? I'd guess the figures are suffering, even hard core fans like me don't switch on in such eager anticipation anymore.

The BBC on the other hand must be pleased, as the lack of interest coincides with their reduced coverage nicely, and they will be long gone having covered the sport in its heyday, and not lost out in its decline

21. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    I watched the first lap as I was expecting some drama but it fizzled ...
    McLaren 2007 all over again. Carma is a b!tch.
    Bernie did nothing while RedBull ran away with the series for 3/4 years on the trott why should he do anything now? It is Mercedes turn, they deserve every win for reading the rules carefully and making a considerably superior powerplant. Next year Ferrari and Renault will copy their example and be a lot closer.

But we must remember it is Bernie meddling with the rules to make HIS show supposedly more interesting that started the slippery slope to the poor F1 we currently have. Relax the rules to how they were in the late 70's and early 80's (ie. before Bernie) and immediately we will have a better F1 AND cost saving because costs go UP (not down) when rules are very tightly defined because it is much harder to find an advantage. If they just said engine has to be 1.6 litres and turbo charged they would design their own engines and sure that would cost but the REAL cost at the moment comes from the enormous analysing of everything looking for the most miniscule advantage. They wouldn't need to do this if their design had an advantage that would take a year or so for the other teams to catch up on.
    Pete

22. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Nope. They tried time and time again to reduce Red Bulls advantage but RB kept finding ways around it (and subsequently made the car even faster!).
    Bernie was firmly against the silly engine change (along with LdM). It's easy pointing the finger at him but in the end the constructors (or engine manufacturers???) won with a majority vote for this retarded engine and new aero regs. IMO in a bid to stop Red Bull. Their end goal has certainly worked, but at a big cost.

I really want to see the race by race viewing numbers of 2014 vs 2013, 2014 vs 2006 and 2014 vs 2004.

14 to 13 because it was the 4th year in a row everyone expected the cans to win everywhere, and I want to see the impact it has with now the Mercs winning everything but with rubbish engine noise

14 to 09 because of the new rules. Noise was much less beautiful than the V10s but still loud, it's more that only 1 guy was doing the winning in a dominant matter for the first half of the season.

14 to 04. Awesome noise from the V10's but Michael was so dominant, especially after 4 years constantly winning everything.

IMO had F1 had the current engines back in 04...they'd have had much worse figures (and F1 wouldn't exist today).

23. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Chilton has been reprimanded for his collision with Raikkonen.

Raikkonen in turn got a reprimand for his collision with Magnussen (3rd collision between the two in 6 races!).

Lewis once again insisted they're not friends...This season is about to become awesome. It's not the team rivalry I was expecting, but it'll do! :D

24. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    Chilton should be stripped off his superlicence and flogged for being stupid...anyway it was great to see Kimi finally trash Alonso....as for the merc boys, i sure hope Nico takes it in the end, Thay are very evenly matched as drivers, Lewis as the advantage of being lighter than Nico but the german as a lot more "brainpower". Lewis is the worst crybaby type..he is so obcessed with Senna that now he is trying to find a plot where he can turn Nico into Prost!! Sadly for him there is no plot nor he or Rosberg are in the same league as Ayrton and Alain. This weekend he made a complete foull out of himself and i'm pretty sure that didn't go well with the team.

25. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    F1 survived the early 60's when they were mere 4 cylinders ... and I was not saying that the current engine spec is Bernie's fault. He is to blame for turning a sport of purity into a TV show though.

Cannot wait til he leaves.
    Pete