Trip to Enzo Ferrari's home country | FerrariChat

Trip to Enzo Ferrari's home country

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by MvT, May 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #1 MvT, May 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Today two weeks ago I started packing to take a journey. A journey to where the legend of the Prancing Horse began. Where Enzo build his first Ferrari and stopped racing as he got to much respect for cars they build. The land of where they invented pizza, fast cars and drive million dollar cars in the Mille Miglia.. that is where we are heading with eight Ferraris.. visit the Mille Miglia. A Mondial, 308 GTS Vetroresina, 308 GTB, 456 GT, 2x 360 Spider F1, F430 F1 and a F360 Modena are hitting the road to Italy.

1000miglia
    2014 Edition

I have been many times in Italy. However, it will be the first time that I am visiting Modena, Brescia and Maranello and the very first time with lady gray! As cherry on top of the pie we will visit the Ferrari factory.

So the content of this post started two weeks ago. I wanted to post everyday of how the day went, where we have been ,and what we saw. However due to the bad internet connection(s) in Italy at our base camp(s) it was quite impossible to do. so The ironic thing is that internet on your phone is 99% relyable, but outrages expensive when you are abroad to share an internet connection for your laptop.

Anyway we packed our things and gathered up on a few places until we were complete! So how you don't lose eachother along the way.. our communication -> portophones. Extremely handy!

Obviously I cannot go without any recording stuff to share the things with you guys. Also I got my center pipes with me and some tools if it would be needed. (And we needed it) ;)

All set to go! Some hand shaking and off we went. A new post tomorrow.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Russ Gould

Russ Gould Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2004
    At one time I wanted to start a tour company where folks could rent an F car in Italy, visit the factory, drive the track, and tour around Italy doing Italian things. At the end of the tour you would have the option of buying your car. I spoke to someone at the works about this and they looked down their noses at me. They told me they don't want to sell more cars! At first I thought the gent did not understand that I was offering to buy a dozen cars initially, and then probably a dozen a year after that. Finally it dawned on me that he did understand and he was playing the Ferrari hard-to-get card.

3. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    You nicely packed your garage I see. ;)
    Bring on the stories, pics & vids.

4. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Wow and I thought we were going over the top with garage gear for our trip to Monaco, Cannes, Turin Italy etc in Otto the X19, your pics just validated our paranoia.
    Can't wait to hear your tales of travels ;-)
    Oh also did I spy a 2 post car lift packed away in there..

5. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    It is indeed paranoia :p however it is not about the car :) When you pass Italian borders you will be caught in a time warp thrown back a few decades (No offence). It will be the Italian way of life. On saterdays and sundays most car is closed. Language barrier and parts are really an issue to get. Not even to speak about the gas stations that are closed all over the weekend and machines that do not accept your card :-S (Ps. In Germany it is mandatory to have a spare tank of fuel in your car)

6. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    I like the fact that Italy is like the UK in the 1960s..... hate globalization everything is the same now, Starbucks bloody everywhere!

7. PV Dirk

PV Dirk F1 Veteran

Jul 26, 2009
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Good times, looking forward to more posts.

8. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    Can't wait to see all the pics.

Have a safe & fun trip. :):)

Cheers, Hank

9. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #9 MvT, May 26, 2014
    After 741km (460miles), with some pit stops at the gas stations for some liqiud (our favorite passion) we arrived save and sound in the city Mulhouse, France, where we settled in in our hotel. Our Ferraris packed away in the underground garage. Tomorrow we will visit the Cité de l'Automobile car museum. They have the largest collection of Buggaties and much of the finest, mostly European, cars.

Cité de l'Automobile
    Cité de l'Automobile - Home | Cité de l'Automobile : Collection Schlumpf - Site officiel - gérée par Culturespaces, M

I have got to say that these Mondial seat are just splendid for such a long drive! Even for my old man :p who is my co-pilot on this trip. Some of us took a Fchat member as a co-pilot, who do not own or cannot afford a Ferrari and they have the big smiles just like us :D It is just neat to see this kind of Ferrari trip charity! One person to be picked up at Milan airport 2 days from this point forward.

1. Gathering up of the lot
    2. Got seperated from the group at a traffic light and joined up again 45min later
    3. Dutch highway still (The Netherlands is big when gathering up in a few places :))
    4. Pee brake
    5. Really really bad weather in France!
    6. Map

10. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    You probably already know this, but just in case:

Last fall I visited Modena
    1st day there we visited the Ferrari Museum (Adult ticket: € 15) & took the optional 'Factory & Track tour'(Adult ticket: € 15) the museum offers.
    Guess WHAT, That whole day was a BIG MISTAKE!!

The 2nd day was our official Factory tour pre-arranged from FNA.
    The Factory tour takes you thru the F1 construction shop & gives you about as much view of the test track as the pricy tour the museum web site offers. THEN ends at the museum where you get FREE ADMISSION.

Oh, yes, people taking the official factory tour also get 20% off at the Museum shop & the Ferrari shop across the street from the factory!

If I'd known that I would have had a free day to go to the Enzo Museum which I understand is well worth seeing.

11. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Yes, you would need to know this to take advantage of it. We went first to the factory and got the rest for free indeed and 20% discount in the Ferrari store. (I didn't know, but some of the others did as it was not their first time :))

12. Mon the fish

Mon the fish Karting

Dec 27, 2013
    I'm setting off from Aberdeenshire a week on Thursday to drive to Newcastle, to catch the overnight ferry to Amsterdam, to then drive to Maranello.

I'm getting a little bit excited! I'm heading down through Germany, as you can drive quite a bit faster than in France

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

13. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Hey looks like you got a good crowd together for that trip. I find that convoying with people can be quite difficult, even the ones you know, there is quite a knack to it.
    Were you allowed to photograph in the factory?

14. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    I share that finding, however working with portophones it becomes a whole different trip! The trip is even more fun using them and you litteraly own the road who drives in front or behind you! You can make decisions together which you could never do without them. It was actually the most valuable tool we had. I will upload a movie where you will hear the portophones. Just wait a few posts :)

For example after the toll ports in Italy we wait for eachother in a line on the side and when the last one gets through he makes room for us to gear up and off we go again on the highway.

15. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Sounds great, did it years ago on a bike.

16. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    have fine Mon the fish! watch out when you drive over the A2 in NL. Up to Utrecht it is speed limit 100km/h and the radar control measures the average from Amsterdam to Utrecht...

17. Mon the fish

Mon the fish Karting

Dec 27, 2013
    Noticed that on last year's trip. Just got to keep calm until Germany, where you can drop 2 gears and floor it!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

18. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #18 MvT, May 27, 2014
    What a morning guys! Sun, a good breakfast and only 5min drive from the museum.

The museum
    An old textile factory is holding the largest collection of Bugattis! Also known as the Schlumpf Collection. Most of them stored there already since 1965 when the factory was still in use.. at the time only a privileged few had been allowed access to the warehouses holding these cars. The history of the Museum | Cité de l'Automobile : Collection Schlumpf - Site officiel - gérée par Culturespaces, M

We arrived on the parking lot of the museum this morning were we grouped up again as we stayed in two different hotels.

Oh my what an entrance! Bit dusty though! But that is typically French.. designing something that is dificult to maintain :) Even the French (old) cars ;)
    The first car that you see is a greenish Bugatti Royal Esders. You cannot miss it! It is in your face! The size of this machine is just overwhelming, huge manges! It's a bl**dy truck!

and ....what a collection when you walk on! Almost every European brand is represented and a few American. Old and almost medieval old! I can only say have a peek of the small amount of pictures and when you are in France it is certainly worth a visit.

19. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Great photos, this is a must see.

20. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    #20 Bell Bloke, May 27, 2014
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
    Bloody Hell that is a fantastic museum! What a collection :)

21. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    #21 MvT, May 27, 2014
    From Mulhouse, France we need to drive 200km (124miles) to St. Gallen, Switzerland as we have an appointment in the afternoon with a privat collector of Ferraris. The crown jewel is a 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO s/n 3589gt (and this one is the only one build with air intakes in the hood!)

The fun thing is that this guys is driving all their Ferraris. I hardly could believe it when I heard it. This is what I need to see for myself!

We entered Switzerland, the country of notorious speeding cameras, ready to take your picture when you least expect it. These fines are no fun as they are based on what you earn for a living. The faster you go the more screwed you are. I can tell you the journey was agonising slow.

Up on a mountain there it was. The garage door to, for most of us, unaffordable wheels. The owner who's name I will not mention took us through the concrete corridor and the second door opened. Sweet lord! Ferraris all nicely lined up, all hooked up with a trickle battery charger. These babies are ready to go!

We were allowed to take pictures, but we needed to make a gentleman's agreement not to post them on any forum or site. Sorry guys as I am a gentleman I respect the man's whishes. I can tell you this was really like jumping in an icecream bowl with cherries! Every Ferrari has its story even the 456 one.

So his father who already owned this collection was at Ferrari when the 456GT 2+2 Coupe was released. They asked him why he didn't had ordered one yet. His comment: It does not come in yellow. "We will make you a yellow one" was the comment back. 2-3 weeks later a yellow one was ready to be picked up :) there are only 3 original yellow ones in the world we were told.

This was fun gentlemen! Walking around in a treasure box! The family's collection is listed here: Turning Wheel Collection ( 1- 36)

and if you would like to visit.. that is possible
    Ferrari Collection Turning Wheel & Racing Team

Some pics of our drive to Switzerland.
    - Before leaving we needed to fix a light of a F360, my tools have had a purpose already!
    - Gathering up across the museum in Mulhouse.
    - Off we go again.
    - Bit of liqued for our Ferraris and last but not least waiting in front of the treasure box!
    - The travel map so far.. Italy is in eyesight!

Tomorrow another day!

22. hank sound

hank sound F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2004
    Burbank, CA
    Full Name:
    Hank Garfield
    OMG !!!!!!!!!!!! That collection !!!!! That Presentation Room !!!!!

In a daze,

Hank

23. bartzagato

bartzagato Formula Junior

Aug 7, 2010
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Great stories! Fantastic adventure you've been in!
    Keep 'em coming.

24. Bell Bloke

Bell Bloke Formula 3

Dec 6, 2012
    UK
    Yes, looks like a well organised trip too :)

25. Rapalyea

Rapalyea Formula 3

Jun 18, 2013
    Georgia Mountains US
    Full Name:
    David Rapalyea alias
    This is more fun then a barrel full of Fiat 750 Pandas. I visited Italy many times in the early 1980's both on business and leisure. Then later with wife in about 2005. Everyone on the 2005 tour bus was in wonder at the small cars.

I informed everyone of The Theory Of Automobile Evolution. And explained that since the 1980's American cars had gotten a bit smaller. But Italian cars had gotten much larger. In previous days, during the Paleolitic era in or about 1982 Italy had fallen to legions of unemployed clowns. I deduced this scientifically through careful measurement of their cars. Almost every last one was clearly produced in a circus tent. From time to time I would notice a Panda 750 and stop in wonder.

Of course all these matters are of little interest in modern times. And never were of any concern in Venice, Herculaneum, Pompei or The Isle of Capri. Just to give you a heads up on That Isle. I have actual receipts from the Hotel Caesar Augustus of less then US$50 per night. The wiring in the WC had naked wires twisted together. But I was accompanied by two female co-workers and it was one very memorable weekend though not up to Roman Era Debauchery. More is the pity....

In the future I will only visit Italy in January.