Disaster/mystery on my 575 | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Disaster/mystery on my 575

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Chessie, Apr 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Everybody that does this has done it. Lot of reasons but usually just being dumb. No one is immune from mistakes. Problem with these cars is the expense of a screw up. The Toyota guys just go to the parts department and grab a head complete with valves for a couple of hundred. A guy that used to work for me did it on a C4 whose heads had never been off. He was a good mechanic but it was one of those days. Before it was over that block had a couple of thousand miles on it finding someone adventurous enough to machine the studs out of the block because they were so stuck. It cost me a Ferrari to fix it. All for a job that was only going to cost about $3000. That is one reason I get just a little upset at the a-holes who question why these cars cost more than a Toyota to fix.

I really have no time for anonymous people who are perfect.

2. Eric360

Eric360 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Boy, reading this post, you gotta feel for the OP. But to be honest, saving a little dough and taking a chance on such a catastrophic repair isn't really worth it. I think it's perfectly fine to do your own wrenching on simple stuff that you won't screw up too badly. But saving a few thousand and having a $10-$20k repair, that sucks. This has got to be a lesson for everyone. Let the professionals like Rifledriver, FBB, etc. earn their keep. Their experience of doing hundreds if not thousands of timing belts is invaluable.

3. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    Thanks but I'm not a pro. I'm a hobbyist gearhead just like you. I've been at this a very long time. Diy'ers are very capable as long as one puts in the time to learn the job and practice to the level of the pros. Otherwise don't do hack jobs the next owner has to figure out. Often we are our own worst enemy. Ego makes us think we can do things we can't. But if we put our egos aside and put our white belts on and take the time to listen to others who have been there and learn we can be very successful. Its been almost 40 years for me and I'm still learning.

4. DWG

DWG Karting

Sep 26, 2013
    Porter Ranch,CA
    Full Name:
    Greg Groom
    I too have been at cars for decades yet I have never learned more than in the past 5 years-because I had to. I woke up one day and discovered that technology had passed me by. So now I have this neighbor kid who's in one of the big auto schools. I bring him a six pack of Red Bull and he teaches ME. The tables have turned.

I asked if the word "carburetor" is ever mentioned in his class and he said they can take an "elective" called Hotrod 101. Apparently my VHS player is out of date too :)

5. deeprivergarage

deeprivergarage Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 3, 2009
    S of Fort Worth
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Greg

Good job with the word "carburetor," instead of "carburator." One of my pet peeves.

Electronics and computers have certainly changed the automotive industry in a good way, even for some of us that were born in the first half of the last century.

Even in the days of 6 volts and generators, trouble shooting the electrical circuits of a car would separate the great mechanics from the rest.

Jerry
    DRG

6. Schoen

Schoen Rookie

May 20, 2014
    The various collector cars I own are all have carburetors and half are 6 volt. While beautiful and unique, none of them are fun to drive but I didn't realize this fully until I drove some high end cars. Having decided on either a 550 or a 360, I've been reading this sub forum to understand what I'm getting myself in for.

Since I usually attempt my own work while having a traveling mechanic who chuckles and fixes what I mess-up, I have to thank the OP for this post for making it clear how the Ferrari is very different. Sorry to hear about the problem but if it helps, I think you have saved some others from a similar outcome by being so forthcoming.

7. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    Any update? I'd love to follow this story till the end.

8. DWG

DWG Karting

Sep 26, 2013
    Porter Ranch,CA
    Full Name:
    Greg Groom
    I too would love to know how this is going...

9. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    When you give a response like the above, I feel like you should not be allowed to work on cars because we need you for the space program ;-)

ColGraves likes this.
  10. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Finally finished this thread. This is educational, entertaining, and really should be "required reading" in the "Ferrari 101" course as it also helps introduce all our Hall of Fame professors on this forum. So much gold here and in other threads. Thanks again so much -- Eric

11. enzo thecat

enzo thecat F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2008
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Enzo Thecat
    Did you see the dates on this thread? 6 years and no denouement whatsoever.

12. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    @enzo thecat This topic -- belt changes -- as noted by @Rifledriver has been covered a ton of times. This is just a jewel I dug up while way down the rabbit hole of learning and it covers how smart many of the "professors" are here and frankly if there was a section just for "you should learn this" -- this thread is very insightful regardless of age.

Perhaps there is a newer thread that is even better?...

13. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    #138 Salami, Nov 20, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    This thread gave me so many flashbacks and feelings. First, I did the same thing years ago on my old 95 Ducati 900ss, but got lucky and it was just a tick tick while cranking and I was able to put it right and didn’t have any damage. So, I can relate to the op. If I were to criticize him though it would be for not coming back to tell us wha the conclusion was! I HATE IT when people do that!
    But about all the debate about owners with a wrench vs pros who charge hourly, well, I can say that I’ve thought long and hard about that and despite my own failings that could’ve been avoided by letting the pros handle it, I have also had the pros royally screw up too, and although I would bet that a Ferrari mechanic would be less likely to screw up it’s not impossible to imagine and one thing happens when you turn your own wrenches and that is that you gain an understanding of the car and you might end up with a few extra tools, and a few extra dollars in your pocket, and a more intimate relationship with your Ferrari than you do by taking it to the dealer or Indy shop. I plan on doing as much as possible on my car, and if I screw up in the process, well, sorry, but I’ll still be ahead in the end. There’s one thing that an owner has that a pro mech doesn’t, and that’s time, and a level of care that only the owner can bring. And that is worth a lot! So, I want to express gratitude to all the pros and experienced DIY dudes here that are willing to share the knowledge that helps me avoid something like this poor fellow has experienced, but to distrust a mechanic shop is not foolish perspective in my opinion, nor is attempting to work on ones own rig. This particular screw up is pretty heavy tho! For sure. Lol.

Attached Files:

Steen Jensen likes this.
  14. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    If a reliable shop screws up something like what originally happened, they are responsible for fixing it. If the OP was smart in his case, she was likely towed to somebody who would not do any more damage and had the correct tools. It sounds like only one bank was affected, so at least that is only 24 valves and whatever else needed to be replaced.

Trouble with Ferrari WSMs is they assume whoever is using it is already an expert technician. The last Ferrari for dummies WSM I saw was for the 365 GTB/4, and even that one assumed a basic knowledge level.

15. Ferrari55whoa

Ferrari55whoa F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    @Salami....regarding Ducati.... I like to turn wrenches but my 916 bored to 955 only gets professional attention. :cool: I learned a lot about $/mile years ago (lifetime ago) when I commuted from Oakland to the financial district everyday.

and for clarity....if Taz/FBB/and the MSW men are pro or near pro, I’m in transitional kindergarten.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

16. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    Very nice bike. Always wanted one of those. I dunno, when I had mine I was only a kid, 21 yrs old and when I was riding it one night leisurely at about 45 the oil light came on. No bad noises. I immediately pulled over and towed it home, and to the dealership where I bought it brand new. It was there all summer and they ended up swapping a whole engine in it from a bike off the showroom because they couldn’t figure out how to fix it. At the time I didn’t care and didn’t know any better and was just grateful it was covered under warranty but knowing what I know now, I know I would have fixed that bike without giving up and throwing an engine at it. Not saying that a Ferrari or Ferrari dealer is the same by any means but when I see people suggesting that instead of getting out the spanners that they take it to a competent repair shop, I wonder how one would even qualify a shop as being competent in the first place?

17. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Same way you qualify your barber.

Salami likes this.
  18. Salami

Salami Karting

Oct 31, 2020
    Oregon
    ah well that makes sense, I do that myself too.

19. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Taz should have said "Same way you qualify your cardiologist". ;)

Laserguru likes this.