Motorcycle injuries | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Motorcycle injuries

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by wang, Jun 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2000YELLOW360

2000YELLOW360 F1 World Champ

Jun 5, 2001
    Full Name:
    Art
    Some sort of neurological deficiency. An example: Fell in Portland (at about 90mph), landed on my left shoulder. It hurt, but not too badly, so I flew myself home in the Baron, put it in the hanger, and drove home. Got there, wife said we're going to the ER. Got there, and they felt nothing broken because I'd flown home, etc., turned out collarbone in 6 pieces.

Tried a case once with 5 metatarsals in my right foot. Was on crutches the entire trial.

Just too stupid to feel the pain I guess.

Art

2. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Just got a license plate on the WR450 today. In Colorado all you need is DOT tires (MotoZ makes superb DOT tires, they are my choice for the rock here regardless of the DOT rating) a horn, headlight, tail and brake lights and a mirror. No speedo or odometer, no turn signals. The State Patrol does a 10 min inspection and then gives you a certificate of compliance to take to DMV.
    I even got my two stroke KTM plated.

The collar born was healing well until I got to week three. My wife took a step backward and fell. I reached out and caught her on the way down. I knew I had separated it again and it never rejoined. After waiting two more months I had a plate put in and it was good in a few weeks. Same collar bone I've broken twice before.

3. wang

wang Formula 3

Feb 23, 2004
    Brunei
    Full Name:
    H. Wang
    I suppose I'm thankful that we are all around to talk about our injuries.... :)

4. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    Crushed left arm and crushed T6 vertebrae, while on the demptser highway. Just happened to have a sat phone and sat transponder with me. Helicopter took 3 hours to get to me.

I still do the same rides, but now carry norco with me.

5. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    #30 Alpintourer, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I've been down 3 times. I college wearing Levis and a Bates leather jacket I went wide in a turn into the grass. ('65 ElectraGlide) Caught a root on the crashbar and down we went. I had a passenger at the time. No injuries; just to my pride. Next two times (later in life) I was wearing my Aerostich Roadcrafter. ('06 KTM950) Saved my butt! Good safety equipment is invalueable!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Took the CBR out for almost 4 hours today on back roads. No injuries to report.. except to the chicken strips I have nearly made extinct.

7. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I used to LOVE to ride I had a cb 650 for cruising and a Yamaha FZ 700 for sport cruising. I did some riding up in Vermont and never had an issue but in R.I. were I lived it was the opposite. One evening I was riding home from work going down a side street I had the right of way there was a car sitting at the stop sign of an intersecting street she pulled out right in front of me I didn't even have a chance to reach for the brake I hit the car my leg whacked the quarter panel I bounced off the hood and landed in the street unconscious. I woke up in agonizing pain that I will never forget I won't go into detail but believe me its not like in the movies where a person is unconscious and then wakes up in a hospital bed. I ended up crushing my tibia and fibia had 4 operations have a rod, screws and a piece of my hip in my leg.

8. wang

wang Formula 3

Feb 23, 2004
    Brunei
    Full Name:
    H. Wang
    Yup definitely doesn't help with clueless drivers....!

9. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Sorry to hear - hope you are feeling better!

Been riding most of my life up and until my now 10-year old daughter was born. Then I hung it up.

I've been down many times, mostly on dirt bikes, but had one really bad accident about 3 weeks before my wedding. Riding my '67 Honda CL/77 on a very busy, 1 lane both-ways highway that was in serious need of repair. I hit a major rut and was thrown over the handlebars. Very lucky I brushed off the driver behind me just prior.

I slid, stomach down, on the asphalt into oncoming traffic. At least 1 car swerved to avoid me. No major injuries, but serious road rash (I was coming home from the gym, in sweats...not good).

All I cared about was my bike. First aid couldn't believe I wasn't in shock and how calm I was. I had no fear, but it sucked. I continued riding without issue.

When my 10 year old was born, fear consumed me...that's when I knew it was time to hang it up.

10. wang

wang Formula 3

Feb 23, 2004
    Brunei
    Full Name:
    H. Wang
    Yeah..... I don't know..... May have to hang it up too.....

11. ARTNNYC

ARTNNYC F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 8, 2005
    NYC, FL
    Full Name:
    Jerome
    6 crashes...one on street, five on track...a few broken bones

12. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #37 Rifledriver, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2014
    40+ years on motorcycles, mostly street. Some dirt. 2 crashes of any consequence. A couple of broken ribs, rash, bruises, twisted and sprained this and that.

Broken ribs are no fun and I don't walk as well as maybe I could. Have already told Ortho brother in law to save me some hips and knees.

I have been hurt worse doing things less fun. Have not even considered giving up riding.

My riding partner is retired SFPD motor officer. Run down by a fire truck on duty. Won't consider giving up motorcycles.

13. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Lifelong rider here since 12.. once it's in your bloodstream you're done for ;)

Covered farm, city, road and track.

Only ever came off when doing multiple stupidities all at the same time.. have wised up and lived longer as a result.. but you're only a heartbeat away from being a victim of someone else's fault so don't ride city/suburban traffic anymore.

The tally:
    - Spiral fracture lower leg, pins in permanently. Late teens, being an idiot on the farm. Luckily I missed the big post by a foot, doubt would be here if did.. 2 hospital stays instead.

- Broken wrist, early 20's. Clipped rear end riding companion on intersecting line same corner, being an idiot on the road 2 different bikes way different characteristics he braked heavily coming into corner where my bike typically hammers through such things but crap front drum brakes.. Highsided and over I went into oncoming lane.. Luckily no traffic, doubt would be here if there was.

- Broken ribs, late 20's.. in a hurry on a dirt road and hit corrugations on bend, ran just wide enough to come off and hit tree.. Luckily no oncoming traffic and I didn't hit tree with my head.. broken ribs no fun, had all day conference and was in pain for a while.

So I wised up and with family to support I couldn't take the risks anymore.. so sold bikes but missed them so kept my eye in with hiring stuff at track days in the meantime.. I want another road bike now that the kids are old enough and leaving home and it doesn't matter so much anymore ;)

I like the new Ducati range a lot. Also the new BMW R90 T appeals.

14. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I ride quads and have had numerous injuries over the years:

Broke a bunch of the small bones in my right hand, numerous concussions and something with my lower back, from when I started riding (9 till 13).

Moved to the caribbean so didn't ride much (mostly was bodyboarding or playing on jetskis).

Got back on a Banshee in the UK and crashed it; hit a tree sideways and bend the frame. Concussion but nothing else.

Got a raptor 660 (stupidly, really should've gone with a YFZ450R as it suited by riding style much more), it was a dog so spend a lot of cash fixing it right and then decided to sell it for either a banshee or the aforementioned YFZ450R. Got an offer from someone that wanted to buy it at full price if he could pick it up the next day as he needed it for some race. I was at a friends house (was helping him move) so had to ride it home. Only had a helmet on, for the rest board shorts and t shirt + shoes.

long story short, got on a nice section near my house on the dirt, went round a high speed corner on the limiter (120kph+), clipped a rock on the inside wheel and started rolling.

-Dislocated my shoulder heavily, took 4 doctors over an hour to put it back in, despite giving me much more muscle relaxant than normal (it was hard for them to judge the right dose because of my size)
    - Lost all the left side skin on my left leg, same for my other knee, both elbows and other parts
    - found out a while later I broke a 4 ribs (pain of my shoulder and leg was a bit more important to me at the time
    - another concussion
    -twisted ankle
    -messed up knees (they look themselves at times, so have to force them open)

Couldn't really stand on my leg for a while, each time I moved it the wounds would move completely open.

Went back to check where I crashed and missed a tree by less than a foot, and looking from my indents in the sand would've been right with my head first followed by quad, so wouldn't likely be talking here now.

Anyhow, quad is now mostly scrap and I've decided that the next one I'll buy is going be brand new and i'll just trade it in every year. Been riding dirtbikes every now and then but I feel so uncomfortable on them, I can never get the front to turn how I want it.

15. wang

wang Formula 3

Feb 23, 2004
    Brunei
    Full Name:
    H. Wang
    Today pain was quite high from my back broken rib.... However after reading Jerome, Brian, Alex and Bas posts' I felt a bit better.

Just WOW guys....!

Gives me reason not to stop riding :)

16. alexm

alexm F1 Veteran

Sep 6, 2004
    Coast up from Sydney
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Hang in there.. it takes some time to fully get over.. breathe shallow, and above all .. don't laugh .. hurts like hell then ;)

17. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #42 Rifledriver, Jun 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2014
    Broken ribs suck. Sleeping in a chair helps getting some rest. Takes the pressure off.

Oh God, I remember laughing. Talk about fear.

18. FerrariDublin

FerrariDublin F1 Rookie

Jun 14, 2009
    Dublin, Ireland
    Full Name:
    Greg
    16 years on 1000cc bikes, spilled one down the road low-side at speed once without incident.

Had my big one off a KTM SuperDuke which had a throttle like an on/off switch. Exiting the shop I used to stop at most days the bike surged, and threw me back which caused the throttle to open and she just pinged the limiter as it carried me across the road and into a wall in an instant.

Compound fracture to the right wrist and opposing left lower leg. Seven operations over the following nine days, another four to finish things off. Left hospital three months later and cried my eyes out when I got home and I realised just what a sorry heap I was in.

Two months later, still in a wheelchair and having gotten over the pain-med withdrawal symptoms, I started browsing for the replacement for the bike..... Something red with four (not two) wheels...... I was driving it while still wearing an Ilizarov frame on my leg. (The scratches in the leather under the dash tell the story).

Haven't been back on a bike since. Miss it sometimes but she who must be obeyed says "NO"

Get well soon wang!

19. wang

wang Formula 3

Feb 23, 2004
    Brunei
    Full Name:
    H. Wang
    Alex, Brian,..... F**k me I was laughing after reading yr posts.....! :D ( what emoticon shows grinning in pain and mirth)

Greg, cheers mate... :) she who must also be obeyed on my side is keeping mum at the moment. My excuse is that it's not easy off loading 10 bikes at once without taking a big lo$$....

20. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    One of my friends actively kept trying to make me laugh (and succeed).

Got pay back a year or so later when he broke his ribs though :D.

21. Schimpf

Schimpf Karting

Jul 20, 2005
    CO
    Full Name:
    Schimpf
    I've never had a street bike. Dirt bikes have given me knots/bruises & some road rash (I never ride wheelies down hill now). Road rash on the palm of the hands is the worst! Hard to sleep palms up

22. ndpendant

ndpendant Formula Junior

Jun 5, 2010
    Chicago- west burbs
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Road rash, dislocated hip, broken helmets, wrist. 2 friends killed. Finally sold my bikes after a close call i didnt go down on. Shook me up bad, and was a cart racer and motorcycle drag racer previously in stock class bikes. had enough.. 4 wheels only now.
    once stopped to help a guy who went down about 2am in the rain, he had only one leg. I stood the bike up in a ditch, found his prosthesis after it flew about 40 feet from the bike, he was drunk as hell and crawling around. slips the leg back on, cranks her up and rides off.
    not a scratch on him.

23. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    This is 1 thread where I appreciate people not posting picts! You guys are brave. Then again I see a lot of you don't live in CA

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    So, is being in California better or worse for motorcycles?

I don't get the comment.

25. jlonmark

jlonmark F1 Rookie

Mar 29, 2005
    Beverly Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Jay
    It's actually terrible. The roads are not in good shape and we are home to the huge SUV with soccer moms driving while kids are screaming and Prius drivers texting while rolling a cigarette and listening to npr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk