250 LM at Auction - s/n 6045 | FerrariChat

250 LM at Auction - s/n 6045

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by davebuchner, Jun 20, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    I searched the Vintage section but didn't see a reference to 6045 at this auction, so hopefully not a repost. I see it is consigned to RM's auction at Monterey in August. How offset are those pedals(!), or is it just the angle of that photo. Looks stunning though as you would expect - and so uncluttered inside.

https://www.rmauctions.com/lots/lot.cfm?lot_id=1067981

2. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Well, yes, the pedals are offset. Otherwise, you'd never be able to turn the front wheels. It's not bothersome; in fact that's the least of the problems with driving one.

3. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    BANNED Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    There are 4 pedals in the footwell - 3 + dead pedal. They are the centerline and are the total width. One adjusts to the legs being skewed to the centerline. You will tell the passenger to keep their feet /knees pulled up and that the dead pedal is for the driver's foot not theirs.

An LM is a blast to drive but not necessarily easy. It demands attention. Ear protection is a must.

Jeff

4. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    Well hopefully one day I will experience it !!

5. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    If you are actually interested in this LM there are several of us that can talk about what is it to drive one.

Do not think of it a dual purpose GT car like the TdF, SWB and GTO. This is the race car that semi-sort of was streetable for those who are hardcore.

6. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    Sorry, whats a dead pedal?

Any thoughts on what the estimate might be on this? Similar to the one they had in the Nov auction?

I've got a 904 gts, how would the street drive compare to that?

7. rossocorsa13

rossocorsa13 F1 Rookie

Jun 10, 2006
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    M
    A fixed "pedal" to rest your left foot on when you aren't using the clutch pedal.

It's basically a pedal-shaped piece of metal that is bonded to an angled section of the floorboard.

8. Ney

Ney F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    A dead pedal is a fixed fourth pedal as a place to rest your foot when not using the clutch. It is also used to help brace yourself in the seat sometimes. Seats and seat belts were not as supportive or form fitting as they are today.

9. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Sorry that I don't have any experience with the 904.

Crash box?
    Clutch that eats left legs?
    Likes to get sideways by playing with the loud pedal"
    No sound insulation or gaskets between panels?
    Hot inside - this you don't have since the 904 does not have radiator water lines running through the cabin area.
    Tells you to be attentive?

10. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    single seater footbox in a two seater! :)

oh, to be insanely wealthy....

11. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    The rules never the passenger had to be comfortable only that there was a seat for them with the driver to the side of center.

Jeff

12. Splitting Atoms

Splitting Atoms Formula 3

Sep 18, 2011
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #12 Splitting Atoms, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
    I am going to buy a Powerball ticket.

I am also going to show my ignorance. If I do win the Powerball prior to the auction, I would have an issue with this car. The VIN plate and rivets are too perfect. It looks like the VIN plate was created in 2014 instead of 1964. The engine number also looks odd. The "4" was stamped twice because it was initially miss-stamped. The top of the 4 and bottom of the 4 were done separately. The surface of the metal where the engine number was stamped also looks too perfect, like it was recently machined. Is the history of this particular car well known, to the point where the buyer is confident it is not a recreation using some original parts?

Looking closer at the engine stamping, I see there was an upside-down "4" stamped in the "5" location.

13. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
  14. tazandjan

tazandjan Three Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 19, 2008
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    Full Name:
    Terry H Phillips
    Affirmative, especially in short nose form.

15. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Saw it at Cavallino. I should have stolen it..even if for just an hour. Jail time would have been worth it.

16. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    #16 amenasce, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I used to think so too..but then i saw pics of the Duncan Hamilton site of a long nose one and now i dont know.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. VIZSLA

VIZSLA Four Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    You're halfway there.
    ;)

18. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    I am the last one who drove one in Tour Auto 3 years ago for 1500 miles in 5 days including circuits and open road. Immensely drivable and a pleasure to drive on open road where you can pass 5 cars in a row without danger ( except of over speeding,,) and I can compare, I have done TA in TDF, SWB ( 2 times), GTB , Daytona Comp, but also Alfa TZ and Lancia Stratos G4. There are only 2 issues, one the car is low and even if we raised it , we raised it by one inch, it touches road bumps ( but Daytona too!) and yes place for co driver legs. Abi who is a contributor here still has pain in his legs after 2 years as there is place only for one foot of the co driver in the foot well, the other leg ( if you have 2 or at least 2 feet) has to be on top of first one or on the sill, but in bent position...true not very comfortable for 10 hours drive...I have somewhere a picture I will try to post.

On track however, and did Le Mans Classic, while driver has to be careful on the wet, a real pleasure to drive what is essentially a sport prototype you can drive on the road. In any case, if we are not hard core not worth collecting classic race cars!

Ryan S. likes this.
  19. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    +1; this "perfection" is contradictory to the car's purpose, nature and character; no car in such shape ever left the factory in period.

20. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    Death pedal on this car? Please correct me but I can't find any ... right?

21. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    Death pedal is the one on the right.
    The dead pedal is on the left.
    ;)

22. lgs

lgs Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2006
    I count three from right to left even if I close the right eye!

23. VIZSLA

Owner

Jan 11, 2008
    Sarasota
    Full Name:
    David
    I was speaking in general.
    And in humor.

24. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    That plate is most likely circa 2014 as this is a repro VIN plate put on when the Classiche Certification was done. Note the Classiche logo in the bottom left of the VIN plate.

25. davebuchner

davebuchner Formula 3

Jun 1, 2005
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Dave Buchner
    I think the short nose looks more aggressive = better