Have we destroyed the 355? | Page 23 | FerrariChat

Have we destroyed the 355?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Monteman, Oct 24, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. driveitdaily

driveitdaily Formula 3

Jul 20, 2013
    lake ariel pennsylva
    Full Name:
    john
    Cars are one of the worst investments. People assume what has happened in the past will happen in the future. It won't . Those old ferrari you see sell for millions were special cars, race cars , with history. Your modern day mass produced ( for a ferrari ) 348 or 355 is not that car . An f40 for sure is one .Look at corvettes. 69 big block car , 100k , 75 corvette , almost worthless. If you are saving your 348/355 , just letting it sit around in a garage instead of driving it and enjoying like it was meant to be , some day when you sell it and realize it didn't become a high dollar classic you will regret you didn't drive it and have fun doing so. It's just a damn car , go out and drive it and stop obsessing over it !

2. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee

Yuuup

Maintenance and storage kill it.

I love when people say you had 5 motion performance camaros, if you have them today they would be worth $$$$$, I tell them it would have cost me $$$$$$ to make $$$$ holding them.
    Drive the crap out of it keep it running nice, Enjoy life

:)

3. Markphd

Markphd Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    Like others who risk death and dismemberment due to ownership of a F355, I simply can't imagine owning any other Ferrari at the moment (although I will admit that I lust for the 458). The F355 has warts, especially in respect to the exhaust system, but it also has a ton of character, which is why I love it. The F355 is iconic, more importantly it is unmistakably a Ferrari in looks, sound, and the overall sensory experience.

I love wrenching on it almost as much as driving it.

Mark

4. Markphd

Markphd Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2012
    The only thing you are wrong about is the car being worth $250k+ in 2030, no way that will happen. I don't care what they are "worth", I plan on keeping mine until the wheels fall off. Should the wheels fall off, I will take the motor out an build a Ferrari sand rail. ;)

Given the high number produced is of great benefit for most of us, as it means that parts will continue to be available for some time.

5. F1moving

F1moving Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 7, 2014
    BUCKeYe!
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Best post in the thread!

6. Marcus 27

Marcus 27 Karting

Feb 3, 2004
    Are you sure about that? Stock - Tom Hartley Jnr

(£95k = US$161k)

7. Dino Chang

Dino Chang Guest

Dec 29, 2012
    Thats not the first 355 TH has been selling for £94,000, there was also another red GTS a few months ago. The thing with Hartleys is thay have a loyal custumer base and sell cars up to a few million quid. It was only three months ago that they sold the UKs most expensive Ferrari, it was a 50s Testarossa. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/motorsport/10606819/Ferrari-most-expensive-car-sold-in-Britain-at-over-24m.html
    Looking at prices of 355 s for sale in the UK, prices now range from £40,000 with quite a few at £60,000-£70,000.

8. Steve Harkness

Steve Harkness Formula Junior

Jul 28, 2012
    perth Australia
    Full Name:
    steve Harkness
    I'm going to bring up the title of this thread again Have we Destroyed The 355. In My opinion the negative feedback re the 355 on this forum really hasn't helped it's rep. When I started my search for my first f car which was the 355 I took into consideration all the negative things that where said about the car . Then I went for a dump and wiped my arse with all the info I collected ! I completely ignored getting a ppi leak down compression test and all that other tat. I did however look at the service history and based on what I saw I bought the car and shipped it 14000 Kms from the uk to OZ. I also bought the DREADED F1 model again going against everything I had read. The car arrived it was not and still is not perfect but it pretty good for a 16 year old car. I drive it in the rain,I have hosed down the engine bay,I service it myself,I repainted the whole car myself hell I even backed into a wall last week and cracked the rear bumper ( my wife nearly shat herself! I wasn't that bothered to be honest ) . In 22 years I have owned probably 40 cars from $500 s$@&boxes to high performance jap cars to now my first Ferrari . What I'm trying to say is I don't find it unreliable yes parts are expensive but it is what it is and after many years I now get up and go for a drive just because I want to!!!!! To everyone out there just drive you car,enjoy it for what it is and remember to be an owner of one of these beautiful cars you are living an experience that the vast majority of people cannot afford!! If you leave it in the shed YOU DONT DESERVE TO OWN IT!!

Rant Over

9. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    As a well respected professional mechanic said, "the reputation of the 355 was sealed long before Fchat." I think if you pull up the 348/355 board right now there are 3-4 threads going right now about either a 355 owner's headers or valves. This happens on a weekly basis just the names change. Real 355 owners are living this stuff. The best thing 355 owners can do is acknowledge and fix the problems in a universally acceptable way instead of bemoaning the reputation of the 355 and calling BS on what appears to be fact for many people.

10. Dave rocks

Dave rocks F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    Coming from someone who does not own a 355 :rolleyes:

11. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    And the person who brands me as a 355 hater thinks this is important because????

12. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    I don't brand you as anything. I just don't understand your endless comments in a section of a car model you don't own and to my knowledge have never owned. I don't post in the 550 section for a reason.

13. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I did not know that I am so important to you that you keep score of where I post. I have worked on 348's and 355's since 1990 and other models before that. I am intimately involved with either model on a weekly basis. I can tell by your technical posts that You have a long way to catch up to what I know and can do with a 355 even if you are a new owner.
    Ownership is not a prerequisite for knowledge.

14. Dave rocks

BANNED

Nov 23, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Full Name:
    Dave Lelonek
    355's did not exist in 1990. I'm not so sure I'd classify your posts in this section as knowledge. Your arrogance is overwhelming. The number of PM's I've received regarding the topic supports my statement. I certainly have a lot to learn but I really don't think you are the one to learn from.

15. F1moving

F1moving Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 7, 2014
    BUCKeYe!
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    I would agree with Harkness. I too bought my car from Santa Fe, NM and shipped it all the way to Ohio sight unseen. No PPI due to the fact the closest reputable shop was 400 miles away. The last PPI and engine out was done by Dave Helms 2800 miles ago and just at 5 years now. My car has 12,xxx miles, and has had 2 engine outs. I brought the car immediately to Craig Reed at Studio47 and he said the car was one of the best examples he has seen. I choose to ignore all the BS that is spouted on this forum. While I find some information useful, most is just winey people complaining. Every car has complainers! Hell my buddy just had a recall on his 14 Camaro ZL1. I would say to anyone looking, find a good example, do your research on the car, and enjoy. I also bought the DREADED F1 and must say it is and awesome transmission! My neighbor has also purchased a 99 gated car with 22,000 miles and loves it as much as I do. Dave......I have read fatbillybobs posts but just take them with a grain of salt. For every positive there is a negative. If we all ignore the negativity, maybe he will go away and complain about another model. Craig Reed has been working on them as long as fatbillybob and talks highly of the 355 and loves them. He is the one that talked me into selling my 996tt to purchase the 355 and I am glad he did. Don't feed the trolls!

16. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal

Some walk into a "new" dojo wearing their black belt. Others will wear a white belt. Some go away learning nothing.

17. fatbillybob

Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    How you see me as a hater I just don't get unless you are just one of Dave's friends. You can negate my post after Steve's by telling us what is untrue about it.

18. F1moving

F1moving Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 7, 2014
    BUCKeYe!
    Full Name:
    Marcus
    Don't know Dave and have never spoken to him, just know from being here a short time that you are a Debbie Downer and complain about the car at every chance you get. You claim to be such a wealth of knowledge and proclaim to have worked I the cars forever. Like I said, I know people that have worked on them as long as you have and say complete opposite things. I talked to many owners and none complained about the car as much as you have and by your own words, you have never even owned one. Maybe you just work on all the abused crap boxes. I don't know and really don't care. Maybe your constant complaining is the very reason I got such a great deal on a great car. Just saying. I came out of a E55 W211 sc model and the knowledgable people helped people and talked them through things where all you do is cut them down. You provide absolutely no value to this place as far as I'm concerned. I know that means little to you being a newbee and you being the master of the 355. Complain on....... The way I see it is opinions are like a55holes and everyone has one.....we obviously all know yours.

19. Dino Chang

Dino Chang Guest

Dec 29, 2012
    Spot on.

20. driveitdaily

driveitdaily Formula 3

Jul 20, 2013
    lake ariel pennsylva
    Full Name:
    john
    #570 driveitdaily, Jun 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    Every day of the week we have subaru's in our shop for bad headgaskets, i don't own a subaru, does that mean that i am not qualified to make the comment "subaru's have crap headgaskets" ? Does that brand me as a subaru hater? Hell no! I love them , make more with bad gaskets , i make lots of money fixing them !!!!!! Lol

Point is , that person that loves that subsru will do what it needs , move on then when time comes , buy another subaru that will have the same problem, and look past the flaw, because to them its the car they love .....meanwhile we sit around the garage saying "what a piece of ****" . And its nothing but our OPIINION.
    " serenity now "

21. Steve Harkness

Jul 28, 2012
    perth Australia
    Full Name:
    steve Harkness
    Oops I think I lit a flame!!!

22. Dino Chang

Dino Chang Guest

Dec 29, 2012
    Trying to work out how you came to that conclusion mate. I think you give yourself to much credit ;)

23. Steve Harkness

Jul 28, 2012
    perth Australia
    Full Name:
    steve Harkness
    Hey I'm just stating the facts with my car. 3 years 10000kms total costs to date $1200 bucks. No smoke, excessive oil use refurbed headers by previous owner 30 k ago and still like new,no cel lights,original cats good,no F1 problems,stickies fixed $15 and 30 minutes work to be honest it's been great !! Maybe it's just the luck of the Irish to be sure to be sure!!

24. WATSON

WATSON Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2010
    WI
    FBB knows more about a 355 than you ever will and more than most on this board. I know several A&P's that are the best airplane mechanics in the world and they don't even have a pilot's license. You do not need to own one to work on them.

So David, what is it like to walk into any room knowing your are the smartest person there?

25. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    It's easier to blow someone off when they don't "own one"... and there are 355 owners who post in many different sections of this site. Including the 360/430 section. We all pay our subscription so we can post where we want on this site.

I've never bought a 355 thank god, but the one owner that had an example did me the favor of letting me see what problems lie in this model without having to eviscerate my wallet. Yet.. when he wanted another Ferrari, I recommended he buy another 355 and not a 360. Because he loves the model and acknowledges its imperfections.

It sounds to me like FBB is just acknowledging the models imperfections and potential issues, not trashing it...

It's hard to know when you first come on this site who has the real knowledge, and who the fanboys are who don't know ****. Here's a clue.. if Rifledriver has a comment, or Dave Helms, or rustybits... move that to the top of your list.