Have we destroyed the 355? | Page 24 | FerrariChat

Have we destroyed the 355?

Discussion in '348/355' started by Monteman, Oct 24, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. driveitdaily

driveitdaily Formula 3

Jul 20, 2013
    lake ariel pennsylva
    Full Name:
    john

+1. I get sick of the " you don't own one "comment on here, sounds like somthing 5 year old girls say.
    Many don't own one because they have CHOSEN not to. Like the saying goes " nice to look at " ........

" serenity now "

2. Dino Chang

Dino Chang Guest

Dec 29, 2012
  3. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
  4. Dino Chang

Dino Chang Guest

Dec 29, 2012
    Oh I did not know that about cream interiors and the US market. One learns something new every day.

5. Todd308TR

Todd308TR F1 World Champ

Nov 25, 2010
    LA
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I have seen this repeated in the 3x8, Mondial, and TR sections. You can't blame owners for the market. The market is what it is, and that is what a buyer is willing to pay.

6. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    I dont know how that was allocated but you never see that kind of color scheme in the US. Red carpets and crema leather. I woud think that these cars were individually ordered and customers got what they wanted but maybe the RHD thing limited console offerings and thus the leather options.

7. Bradwilliams

Bradwilliams F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

I kind of agree with this whole thing. I for one, love this car. However, finding a nice clean running 355 is QUITE the challenge these days. This isn't a slam on the car itself, just the circumstance. I'd like to think that most of us want a clean, up to date car at the fair market value. 50-60k. However, it seems that all of the cars out there fall into two categories.

1. Car has a gazillion owners, service may be mostly up to date. But the interior and exterior are thrashed to the point where it needs restoration. Car will be in the 50k range. PASS

2. Car is mostly up to date on service, is mint with average or high miles. Owner wants a fortune for it 65k+++ PASS

While I do understand that the cleanest cars pull premiums, it seems finding one of these things for the right price clean (not mint) is too much of a challenge. I don't need or want a mint condition car because I like to drive them. So the cream puffs are not for me. Looked for about a year and half and gave up. I ended up buying a 550 Maranello instead. I'd love to have a 355 targa in red someday. But I doubt it will ever happen.

8. 355dreamer

355dreamer F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 3, 2006
    DC Metro
    Full Name:
    L.C.
    You could absolutely order Creama interiors in the US. Not many people did however.

9. Steve Harkness

Steve Harkness Formula Junior

Jul 28, 2012
    perth Australia
    Full Name:
    steve Harkness
    Hey look all models have their own issues,we all know about them what I'd like to say is can we just not love them 4 what they are! If you don't own one but u have knowledge like fbb that's cool but don't rubbish them coz they certainly not rubbish. I personally love the 355 regardless of all the problems. Personally in my opinion the 355 and the 458 are two of ferraris best! That's my opinion . If you have a 360 good luck with that it's your choice not mine.this forum should be a place to help each other not bag the crap out of one of the worlds most successful car brands.

10. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris
    Something I became aware of the other day in another thread and that is that there may be only 2500 or so 355s in the US market still on the road. That is a far cry from the 12000 or so that were built and if you think of segmenting that in to GTS, GTB and Spiders , then add gated or not into the equation it is not surprising that you don't find many available in the parameters you are looking for, when you are looking for them.

I feel lucky to have found exactly what I was looking for when I was looking for it and so far there have been no surprises that I wasn't anticipating anyway.

I see a spider on ebay right now that the seller states right in there that the car just had iits $1000 annual service done. That kind of mindset would make this car much less enjoyable for me to own personally. I just did that service myself for materials only and part of the enjoyment of owning the car is tinkering with it like that. IT just depends on what your idea of ownership is. If it is paying someone to turn every nut and bolt on the car no matter, it will be an expensive and eventually unpleasant experience.

11. tr512

tr512 Formula 3

Apr 12, 2007
    canada burnaby bc
    Full Name:
    Michael
    +1
    I agree 100% i think forums should be a place to help each other and learn.

12. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    LOL! Be careful Bob. I have been branded with a scarlett letter for saying less.

13. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I like pain !!!

So I'll say it again, hehehehe

Most problems are caused by us on these cars and not listening to those that have been through it or just folks working on cars that should not be.

I know most here are intelligent, edumecated and great common sense.
    Trust those that have been through this.

I have every degree related to the automotive industry along with all the certs and I learn all the little idiosyncrasies of there cars by reading those that have been through it.
    Delagate authority , knowledge whenever possible

We must have 1000 years of combined knowledge from some of the best in the industry in the archives here.

:)

14. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Never trust an expert!

15. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Nicely stated Tim.

16. mclaudio

mclaudio Formula 3

Dec 13, 2003
    Seattle area
    Full Name:
    Claudio
    For a long time, I was on the sideline in purchasing a 355 due to its intensive maintenance reputation. I had two 328s because it was a model favored as the most reliable of all Ferraris. I enjoyed the 328s but they aren't ones that lit my affinity for Ferraris. OTOH, the 355, Schumacher-era F1 and a few Enzo-era race cars are what got me going.

Most car models go through a cycle in which there's a time of least market desirability. The 355 has been somewhat in this portion of the cycle. Ultimately, a specific model's beauty, provenance and supply/demand ratio are what will either increase or decrease a model's market desirability. Maintenance fades as a collectible attribute.

Conclusion: I don't think the maintenance chatter has destroyed the 355. What it did is enable me to purchase a 355 Challenge at a reasonable price.

17. Steve Harkness

Steve Harkness Formula Junior

Jul 28, 2012
    perth Australia
    Full Name:
    steve Harkness
    Well I don't know about being intelligent,edumecated and great common sense but I sure can spell and put words into a proper sentence!

18. Steve355F1

Steve355F1 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 26, 2011
    Adelaide, South Aust
    Full Name:
    Steve

That is an anomaly. If that was the normal experience you may have a point.

The thing that ****s me and plenty of other 355 owners is that people like you try to claim that this guys experience is the normal experience of a 355 owner, which is absolute crap.

Anyway, you and the other usual suspects can keep talking them down as much as you like - you're only trashing them in your own market. The rest of the world sees the value in these cars.

Why are you even on this crusade? Aren't you happy with your 360?

19. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I agree with Steve on this one. I don't think that is the typical ownership experience. If it was people would be dumping these cars pretty quickly. Yes they do have their shortcomings which have been already stated. Nothing that cannot be fixed. They have a timeless design and are great to drive.

20. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    First of all.. I'm not on a crusade. I'm the first guy to recommend the 355 to someone who really wants one. Like many of you guys that have had a great trouble free experience, here's a guy that has had another anecdotal experience that differs with yours.

I'm not holding you back.. go ahead and post in that thread about how this is a one off experience. Please. Set the record straight.

For the record I love my 360. I have absolutely no complaints. It's not a perfect car. But I love her. However, I don't know how that would be if I spent $20,000 on this or that over 2 years. And I can't say that it wouldn't severely test my patience.

21. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    That's because is harder to get the poop stains out of a creama interior then a tan interior after the first service bill.

22. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Hold that thought, 3 of the 6 360 Modena owners that I know have been hit with $20,000+ bills for header failure, clutch replacement, cracked front fenders, variator and CEL issues...

23. M. Brandon Motorcars

Sponsor

Sep 4, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Michael Foertsch
    Add to that list gearbox/coolant heat exchanger...

24. drbob101

drbob101 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Nov 26, 2012
    Tinton Falls, NJ
    Full Name:
    Bob Ferraris

I have no idea who that guy is as I have not seen him post in this section but he puts that in the general model section?

I would love to see his 23k of bills. He derides an engine out service of every 3 years. If he listened to someone and did that on a car that was not getting 30k miles then that is just the tip of the iceberg in this story.

I would bet that this owner is one who wouldn't know which way to turn a wrench to loosen a nut.